Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Justice is finally served
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
al cope

England 

@steve - the D5 knows when you have a trailer hitched and changes the displayed speed limit (which it reads from the last speed limit sign you passed) down from 70 to 60 when on the motorway 👍

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #224345025th Jul 2021 7:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RogB

United Kingdom 

due to my age (53) ive always had the license all manner of trailers on standard size vehicles. When i joined the Army at 16, passed my test in a Vauxhall Nova at 17 yrs old, and was then thrown the keys to a series 3 with a trailer and told to drive it from A to B, with no trailer training (or LR training!)

Fast forward several years and ive long since passed my HGV2 and have been towing large trailers and generator trailers all over Europe and reversing them into tight spots in pitch black conditions. Suddenly new European rules were brought in and the Army being the Army, decided even LR drivers had to have HGV1 to tow the sankey trailers (and PCV if carrying passengers the back) so off I went on an HGV1 crash course to allow me to drive/tow exactly what id been driving/towing for the last 10 years. A bit of a waste of time in that a 40ft artic has a very different pivot point to a standard 4x4 Daf/Bedford with trailer.

But i could see the point of it, so maybe a test should be compulsory in order to tow a trailer/caravan etc as its really scary seeing the speeds on the M5 vanners racing down to Cornwall every year and the obvious inexperience/arrogance of some of the drivers.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #224349826th Jul 2021 6:58 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Re: Justice is finally served

Apache wrote:
With either my old D3 or D4 you can tow 3.5 tonnes and not know it's on the back. It would be very safe towing at 70mph, rather than an arbitrary 60.

What are emergency stops like at 70 with a trailer? Or 75?

It's one thing to get the trailer moving and keep it moving in the same direction, but a whole pile of new factors come into play when you slam on the anchors that the driver and vehicle have less influence over.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #224352926th Jul 2021 9:53 am
UNG

United Kingdom 
Re: Justice is finally served

Apache wrote:

Interesting discussion. My feeling is that although I know the law, and hold the appropriate licence (B+E) that the speed limit legislation is outdated. I believe that applies whether towing or not. With either my old D3 or D4 you can tow 3.5 tonnes and not know it's on the back. It would be very safe towing at 70mph, rather than an arbitrary 60.

Anybody can tow a trailer faster than the limit allows and will more than likely get away with it without any problems, but trailer tyres like any other tyres can get a puncture or even worse suffer a blow out then you have to control it and stop it and even 3 tons of Discovery may not be heavy enough to keep it all "planted" when the trailer starts doing the steering

Apache wrote:

I do my very best to avoid lane 3, but if two HGVs are playing silly Censored with one going 0.2mph faster and overtaking over 10 miles, I have been known to use lane 3 for a quick overtake. I also do sometimes exceed both the towing speed limit when towing, and the normal speed limit when not - like most drivers. I'd much rather see no motorway limits and harsher penalties for accidents and careless driving.

Harsher penalties for accidents and careless driving are no compensation if a third party that gets caught up in the accident is dead or suffers life changing injuries on the motorway racetrack that you are proposing and with every accident normally resulting in a road closure the motorways would never be open

I can only agree with NoDosh that getting a trailer moving is the easy bit keeping it all on the straight and narrow and bringing it all a halt when needed is the skillful bit
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #224441231st Jul 2021 5:21 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Until I saw this, I didn't realise that some cars have anti-sway systems built-in! Shocked

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #224441531st Jul 2021 5:29 pm
UNG

United Kingdom 

While these electronic anti sway systems are good and do work well the problem that is overlooked you are only a blown fuse or a broken wire or two away from a total disaster
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #22445851st Aug 2021 7:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >