Page 1 of 4 1234>
BN

England 
Is anyone left

Is anyone alive in Europe, or is it the Marie Silest Confused

Post #1391723rd Aug 2005 9:41 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A lonely second-class citizen from behind the Iron Curtain (Hungary) is reporting for duty............, car still works nothing to report.

AN
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #1400724th Aug 2005 7:24 am
BN

England 

AN wrote:
A lonely second-class citizen from behind the Iron Curtain (Hungary) is reporting for duty............, car still works nothing to report.

AN

AN you are not lonely, you are not second class, we are all with you. Pleased to hear the car is working well. Which part of Hungary are you in.

Post #1400924th Aug 2005 7:35 am
AN

Brian,

I am in Budapest, by the way do you know a good company, here in Hungary, who does teach off-roading (nothing serious, something like your 7th August gathering). This is my first 4x4, I would like to learn some basic off-road driving.

Regards, Arpad
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #1401324th Aug 2005 7:55 am
BN

England 

AN wrote:
Brian,

I am in Budapest, by the way do you know a good company, here in Hungary, who does teach off-roading (nothing serious, something like your 7th August gathering). This is my first 4x4, I would like to learn some basic off-road driving.

Regards, Arpad
I will contact my friend Attila Eordogh who lives in Budapest and see if he can help as he has contacts maybe that I do not. If not, you are not far away, maybe we can all come over to see you guys and do some serious off roading in the forests there.  
Post #1401624th Aug 2005 8:05 am
AN

Brian,

Thanks, and you are very welcome in my neck of the woods (or forest).

Arpad
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #1404124th Aug 2005 9:01 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I see another BN arranged trip coming along...

So whats it like over there ? Do you get the usual anti 4x4 rubbish we do in the UK ? Or are the people there a little more grown up and just get on with life and let others enjoy their life choices ??

Cheers,

-s

Post #1404424th Aug 2005 9:03 am
AN

Simon,

No 4x4 rubbish yet, here usually 4x4 pickup is driven by small business people (VAT reclaimable). Softroaders are more common (school run, family car), big new 4x4 is usually driven by well-off. No anti 4x4 in the press or other media yet. Probably the reason is that everybody knows that the Hungarian roads are crap, pothole is covered by pothole, etc thus anybody rides in 4x4 will try to survive the obstacle course called "road". Also what sold me the D3 was 2.5 ton of metal, as there are some lunatics on the Hungarian road (I think mortality rate on Hungarian roads are twice of UK's).

Cheers, Arpad
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #1406024th Aug 2005 9:53 am
BN

England 

AN, I have worked for many years in Hungary and the roads, do leave a bit to be desired, but some are not bad as you can see here. I was driving a fuel tanker teaching the local guy the techniques at the time.

Budepest was where I was hijacked a couple of years ago by carjackers.

Crash rate is very high, so is the death rate, but it is getting better. I did an item for Hungarian TV about 3 years ago about the crashes, sponsored by an oil company, perhaps you saw it.

Like many I enjoy a good goulash and this is the view from my favourite hotel

and now I cannot remember its name.

Post #1406224th Aug 2005 10:12 am
AN

Brian,

Yes, there are couple of good roads around here, generally in the country side, but I am telling you, here in Budapest they are dreadful, and a live on the outskirt of the town, where I can practice driving on the dirt road from the main road to my house, it is around 200 yards.

Unfortunately I haven't seen your piecein the TV, at the time I was working and living in London.

Cheers, Arpad
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #1407424th Aug 2005 11:34 am
BN

England 

AN wrote:
Brian,

Yes, there are couple of good roads around here, generally in the country side, but I am telling you, here in Budapest they are dreadful, and a live on the outskirt of the town, where I can practice driving on the dirt road from the main road to my house, it is around 200 yards.

Unfortunately I haven't seen your piecein the TV, at the time I was working and living in London.

Cheers, Arpad

Arpad,

Yes roads in the suberbs are only tracks often I know. Bit like the UK recently. The truck picture is of me driving by the way.

I know there is some amasing countryside around Budepest, do you think it is worth me visiting to see what we could set up as 4x4 adventures?

Post #1407624th Aug 2005 11:41 am
AN

Brian,

As I mentioned, I do not know anything about the 4x4 scene in Hungary. There are nice scenery around Budapest, but I do no know where you can ride (who owns what, what permission one needs), but if this can be sorted it should be cheaper than in UK, although it is an 800 miles track to get here from UK.

I contacted one company already who offers some kind of off-road driving training, still waiting for the details. Here is their web address (they have English on their website). www.landy.hu

Cheers, Arpad
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #1407724th Aug 2005 12:26 pm
BN

England 

AN wrote:
Brian,

As I mentioned, I do not know anything about the 4x4 scene in Hungary. There are nice scenery around Budapest, but I do no know where you can ride (who owns what, what permission one needs), but if this can be sorted it should be cheaper than in UK, although it is an 800 miles track to get here from UK.

I contacted one company already who offers some kind of off-road driving training, still waiting for the details. Here is their web address (they have English on their website). www.landy.hu

Cheers, Arpad

AN, I don't know the guys, but their web appears to be quite professional, however as you and I know in East Europe, that may not always mean a lot. I will do some research.

Post #1412824th Aug 2005 5:49 pm
Blue

OK, sorry I seldom check this forum. It's too far down the list and I forget about it. Confused

I live in the Northeast of Spain, not far from the Pyrenees, and there are quite a few 4x4s around. But in recent years there has been a boom in the sector and more and more people like the 4x4 "look" and greater safety records. This means wealthy people buying X5s, Cayennes, and more Nissans, Hyundais, Toyotas, as family cars.

I have spotted about 3 Disco3s in 4 months, all very clean, with elegantly dressed drivers.

Some years back, the most popular were Santanas, made in Spain, licensed by LR, very durable, and plentiful in rural areas.

I´m a newcomer, so I don't know much about the current Spanish scene, but I just joined a club, and I know there are may trails. Because the country landscape is remarkable, and there are lots of beautiful places.
 Blue  
Post #1660911th Sep 2005 3:36 pm
BN

England 

Hi Blue, there are so many trails in Spain, I would like to set up a trip. I think the plain would be ideal or the Andalucia region. Would you come along if we do.

Post #1661111th Sep 2005 3:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >