Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Grabber AT2 Impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Grabber AT2 Impressions

I see there are more and more drivers on the 18" AT2's, and I would like to hear your impressions of these tyres.

I've only had mine a short period, 4k km's, but already I feel far happier with them than the Wranglers. The ride is very similar, although cornering is not as good. Noise is negligible on most roads, only on rough tar surfaces do I pick up a thrum. I haven't had to do an emergency brake or drive in the rain yet (those of you in the UK can definitely give us your comments here). I have noticed my fuel consumption increase by about a litre / 100km (2mpg). To be honest that's a small price to pay for the confidence of being able to go off-road and, hopefully. a longer tread life.

Let's hear other AT2 user's impressions (good or bad), particularly those who've done a decent mileage.

Post #17757413th Jul 2007 12:34 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not as good for an emergency stop, which isn't a surprise as there's less rubber in contact with the road. And as for the wet, they can feel a bit wierd and I wouldn't have the same confidence to do things as fast with them on in the wet. I swap back to Scorpions on 19s when not planning any serious offroading.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17758513th Jul 2007 12:46 pm
ksskaret

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

AT2 is excelent on gravel roads, but not a good winter tyre. For winter use go for a proper winter tyre with or without studs.

Simon
 Simon

Disco3 HSE TDV6 Auto Buckinghamblue MY2006
LR Defender 110 PU MY1998 

Post #17800614th Jul 2007 11:01 am
bkehoe

I think you can actually put studs into the AT2s - would this be an option for severe winter conditions?

Post #17801014th Jul 2007 11:18 am
ksskaret

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yes you can and it will improve the grip on ice but wont help much on snow. The rubber is to hard to be ideal for snow.

Smile
 Simon

Disco3 HSE TDV6 Auto Buckinghamblue MY2006
LR Defender 110 PU MY1998 

Post #17802914th Jul 2007 12:36 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just had a look at my AT2's and the tread wear is quoted as 640 i'm sure the scorpions were 500, can anyone explain what this means?
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #17803614th Jul 2007 1:15 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Chesters,

quote from pneus-online.co.uk
The treadware index represents how quickly a tyre becomes worn. This index is obtained by a test conducted on a test track over a distance of 6000 miles (9600 km), under controlled conditions. This index is between 60 and 620, with 100 as the reference standard. For example, a tyre with a treadware index of 50 will wear 2 times faster than a normal tyre whereas a tyre with a treadwear index of 420 will wear 4.2 times more slowly.

So that would suggest the AT2 is well 'ard!
Strange, cos it actually feels quite soft and sticky (not that I go around feeling rubber objects you understand Laughing )
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #17813514th Jul 2007 11:02 pm
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Had mine about a week - not done many miles on them and its all been on the roads! Defintely not as good on the corners as the Wranglers and car feels a bit drifty in comparison. Desperate to get off road with them, but there is such little opportunity. Mai reason for getting them was to try something different and to benefit in the winter conditions where the roads around here cut up quite rough.

Post #17818215th Jul 2007 10:03 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I'll let you know how they perform in 2 weeks. I'm for a 5000 km outback and desert trip in the morning.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #17820315th Jul 2007 10:58 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Davet

Thanks for that, I was hoping they would last a bit longer than the scorpions. I have been giving mine a bit of stick on the corners and they seem great, (in the dry). i will have to be more careful in the wet. I have only done 600 miles so far so can't see any wear yet, but we are going to France soon and will be doing about 2500 miles, so this will be the test for them.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #17824315th Jul 2007 1:51 pm
bkehoe

Just looked at my Scorpions, and the wear is '400'. So the AT2s should be considerably more hard wearing. The harder rubber means less grip though.

Post #17825415th Jul 2007 3:12 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

So, everyone apart from me thinks that the AT2s are rubbish in corners Confused

The only reason I can think for this is that they're so rubbish in corners that the dsc is kicking in and hurling me round Laughing

Honestly though, on a dry road, I've never driven with any other tyre that grips as well as the AT2s.

Post #17831415th Jul 2007 7:48 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Done about 4000miles on mine now and I've not really noticed a difference between them and the scoprions, on the straight, round bends, in the wet or dry...but I don't really do subtle so the difference would have to be pretty major full on smack in the face before I noticed...maybe I'm just not "in tune" with my machine....

Did get a bit of flint puncture one of them the other day...went right through one of the raised bits of tread...was a bit disappointed with that....

Post #17833015th Jul 2007 8:15 pm
catweasel

bobbycrispbox wrote:
So, everyone apart from me thinks that the AT2s are rubbish in corners Confused
no, my limited use sees them handle well but I'm not a spirited driver but I do find that they are not as comfortable.

Buckingham wrote:
but I don't really do subtle
Snigger  
Post #17852116th Jul 2007 11:00 am
zetecr

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Got my set yesterday and the drive home definitely showed them to be floatier than the Goodyears that came off. Also a bit of a worry was the amount of weights they had to use to balance the things. I'm most concerned, however, about an ever-so-slight wobble I feel through the steering wheel when I apply lock lightly. I tend to be very picky about these sorts of things, but has anyone using AT2's noticed similar symptoms that suggest a run-out (ie not being perfectly round)?

I would consider the additional noise they make to be negligeable (relative to the off-road advantage), and they certainly look the business - can't wait to try them on a muddy track... But they have dented for me the completely unflappable nature of the disco - at least on tarmac. A case of one never getting to eat the cake too, I guess..

Post #18447631st Jul 2007 11:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >