Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Filling up with AdBlue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Pelyma

England 

discoteca wrote:
It does take a while for additions to register. But it isn't an accurate gauge, I read somewhere you need to add at least 5lt to register a change. If the OP added 1.89lt you won't see the range increase, it just won't go down as quick.

Franky I don't see why people bother with the dealer for this even when its supposedly included in the service plan. Multiple trips to the dealer for a bit of adblue here and there probably cost you more in fuel, hassle and stress than buying it yourself.

I purchased 2 x 20lt online for peanuts, filled up myself = no stress or hassle.

+1 Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #194627718th May 2018 2:01 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Many thanks Steve

Over to Pat.

Regards

Nigel
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #194627818th May 2018 2:04 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Petey, sorry only just read the performance you had with Stratstone ref Adblue.
I can confirm Checking and topping up Adblue is on the checklist for the service. I now take the checklist in when mine goes in for a service and confirm they have the same one. After issues in previous years I have taken to asking for a copy of the ticked checklist.
There are two items on the service checklist regarding Adblue
"Using the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic tool, check the DEF level"
"Top up DEF tank"
The use of the diagnostic tool makes sense in the light of SteveNorman's comment on brimming the tank.
My Adblue top up was missed the first two services as the technicians thought my car was too early to have it ! They took the car back and filled it up (all in one go not just one small bottle at a time). This time it was the first thing I checked when I got back in the car.
After filling, the range on mine goes to over 18000 miles although I wouldn't get anything like that range (my estimate about 11k miles) but luckily I don't do that much between services so don't have to get interim refills.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #194792524th May 2018 9:57 pm
philm

England 

markate wrote:
Big Dan, your Dealer is talking rubbish or being lazy.
There is nothing to stop you (or them) brimming the tank.
If it was filled at the last service it should last about 16000+ miles and shouldn't then need filling until the next service. Mine was filled at its first service and again at its second and is still showing over 12000 miles range remaining which will last until its next service in December.
Save yourself the hassle of going to the Dealer buy a 10 litre or similar container from a petrol station and fill it yourself, it works out at about £1 per litre or less and is easy to do as the containers come with a filler nozzle.

Mine was serviced yesterday, adblue topped up, showing on the bill at 30p per litre.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #194796525th May 2018 7:08 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

No news from Pat about enhancing the IID TOOL BT to read AdBlue level or quantity required to top-up?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #203837119th Mar 2019 2:54 pm
Troutnut

Northern Ireland 

New 2016 D4 to me, so it is only when the warning comes up do you top up? As for cost I purchase 1000litre cubes or "proper adblu" for under £300 for the trucks in work but there is some dodgy adblu out there so check what you buy.

Post #203903221st Mar 2019 9:54 pm
Gary_P

Mine gets topped up at service time by the dealer even though only half used, so no need to wait. Of course, you need to know how much is required and the service sheet states they use a tool to ascertain how much to put in.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #203907021st Mar 2019 11:53 pm
Dave T

England 

You wouldn’t think it’s difficult would you, checked mine and it says 3300 miles......

Back from a service a week ago, boxes ticked to say check level and top up, obviously not done. If they can’t be trusted to do this what can they be trusted with?

I already drive 40 miles to a dealer I thought I trusted because the one a mile away is hopeless and the others closer are no better, how fa4 should we go?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #203919422nd Mar 2019 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gary_P

Dave T, yes I’ve had that problem too. The first two services on mine at two different dealers it was missed. As it’s one of the first of the Adblu models (reg. June 15), they said they were not expecting it to have it! I even mentioned it specifically to the dealer doing the second year service as it had been missed th first year and it was still missed. Agree it is very poor especially if the check sheet shows it done. It makes you wonder what else wasn’t done. When this happened to me I pushed by asking “can you assure me nothing else was missed?” .Wasn’t taken particularly seriously though.
Incidentally, the dealer who did the second service was a bit of a drive away, and they had someone drive out to me with some bottles and fill up my car at home, so you could push for that.
I now mention it specifically at services and it’s the first thing I check when I collect my car as seems to be a blind spot.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #203948823rd Mar 2019 9:16 am
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

For those of you who feel the need to use ad-blue as supplied by Land Rover, they also sell a 10 litre top up kit LR104014 - list price £22+vat although some chancer on e-blag is selling it for £60 Shocked

Comprises 2x5 litre containers of ad-blu, non-spill filling adaptor and instructions. Saves about £20 over the bottles for the same quantity.

If careful to keep it clean, the adaptor can be used with other large ad-blue containers.

Post #203955423rd Mar 2019 12:27 pm
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

SteveNorman wrote:
Be careful of ‘brimming’ the adblue tank, as they use an ultrasonic sensor. If there isn’t an airspace in the top of the tank, it’ll read empty!

A search bought me here after seeing this red warning on my vehicle health check today:

£279.00
Ad blue tank has been overfilled requires time to remove accessories in boot to gain access to DEF tank to enable drain to correct level to prevent further problem

I am responsible for this as I brimmed the adblue from a 1000 litre IBC recently before knowing this! I have declined the polite offer to drain the tank as I filled it 2 months ago at it hasn't caused me any issues yet. The question is now should I stick a hose in and siphon some out or should I leave it to go down naturally?

Post #216135816th Jul 2020 12:05 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

thanks for the info chaps Thumbs Up
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #221952022nd Mar 2021 9:05 pm
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

I never did anything about my over filled tank and it was fine and sorted itself out.

Post #221953022nd Mar 2021 9:28 pm
Rotara

United Kingdom 

Just tried to buy 10Ltrs from a JLR Dealer on eBay. They wanted £50.
I'm wondering about the number of people that just pay up for what is the same product from supermarkets and petrol stations? I'm prepared to pay a little more for the JLR sticker, but not £25 more.

Post #23323655th Apr 2023 12:53 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

SteveNorman wrote:
Be careful of ‘brimming’ the adblue tank, as they use an ultrasonic sensor. If there isn’t an airspace in the top of the tank, it’ll read empty!
I have already had to drain some Range Rover sport and evoque tanks due to this.

When filling correctly, using SDD, it displays the quantity needed to fill to the correct amount. This should be added, and no more. Sometimes a couple of attempts are needed to get the total amount right.
I suspect that, as this is a bit time consuming, some places don’t do it fully.

I remember reading a service message on Topix stating that dealers should not use the small bottles, as it’s a waste of money, and should use the corrrect filling tank special tool.

Regards
Steve

What he says here. Don't brim the adblu tank or the guage will not read properly causing all sorts of further warning issues. ISTR the manual says not to brim....
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23323735th Apr 2023 1:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >