DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Faulty EGR Valves on my D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 25 123 ... 232425>
StephenO

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Faulty EGR Valves on my D3

Hello all,

This is my first post so bear with me guys.

I had my D3 in for a service today and the've told me that my 2 EGR Valves are faulty and need replaced, being me not knowing anything about engines I surfed the net for info. All I know is that I've been losing power for a few weeks now, it gets better when the engine heats up and after that its intermittent.

I'm looking for advice basically, after surfing a bit I see there are blanking plates available which I have seen on Ebay, is this the best route to go down as I see from a lot of posts people are doing it with no after affects?

If this is the best route, is the blanking plates/screws all I need or do I need the gasket as well, people are talking about butterfly thingy's - I'm sooo confused - Please help?????????

Stephen

Post #60539517th Feb 2010 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Stephen,
Accepting that the EGR valves are faulty and that you want to blank them off rather than replace them, have a look at, site sponsor, Bellautos blanking kit.

HTH,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #60547418th Feb 2010 6:16 am
ayrshiredisco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Being in Lanark your pretty close to Gibsons of Cumnock, they'll suply and fit a blanking kit if your not confident in doing it yourself or has been said in above post B.A.S do one but you'd need to fit it. I've had mine done for acouple of months now and the difference is astounding.

Welcome to the forum and watch out for some days out at Drumclog that you can join in.
 If in doubt............flat out.

Buck blue with mantec, abar, roolights and some of uncle rays finest
club blanked egr's
dark silver mini cooper s 

Post #60550618th Feb 2010 8:25 am
StephenO

Bushwanderer wrote:
Hi Stephen,
Accepting that the EGR valves are faulty and that you want to blank them off rather than replace them, have a look at, site sponsor, Bellautos blanking kit.

HTH,
Peter

Cheers, just in from work, I'll have a look tonight.

Cant believe how popular this site is, its great.

Thanks for your help

Stephen Thumbs Up

Post #60589918th Feb 2010 7:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StephenO

ayrshiredisco wrote:
Being in Lanark your pretty close to Gibsons of Cumnock, they'll suply and fit a blanking kit if your not confident in doing it yourself or has been said in above post B.A.S do one but you'd need to fit it. I've had mine done for acouple of months now and the difference is astounding.

Welcome to the forum and watch out for some days out at Drumclog that you can join in.

Thanks for your help, this sites brilliant.

AlanG also sent me a PM, as much as I would like to do the job myself I might need to get it done by a mechanic. The difference with getting someone other than a LR Garage is that they could possibly show me around the engine and maybe build my confidence a wee bit, I've serviced my other halves car but its just a wee punto, a D3 under the bonnet is quite daunting.

Had a day at Knockhill last year would love to take you up on the offer at Drumclog, is a it a proper off road course??

Stephen Thumbs Up

Post #60590818th Feb 2010 7:10 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The D3 under the bonnet is only scary because it's covered by plastic - pull the cover off and have a poke around....you'll soon see that it's all fairly straightforward and like most other modern engines.

To be honest, fitting simple EGR blanking plates is a very easy job. Fitting the full blanking kit from BAS would be my option (it's what I did) and is only a bit more complex, but there's not much skill needed - the kit comes with excellent instructions - just an hour spare and some patience.

It would be a good way to build up your confidence Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #60602018th Feb 2010 9:30 pm
StephenO

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks,

What's the difference with blanking plates vs. the full kit?

Can the parts be fitted from the top of the engine or do you need to get underneath ie are there ramps involved etc?

I take it your car is running fine now you've fitted the parts?

Stephen

Post #60602918th Feb 2010 9:37 pm
PaulP

The blanking plate just blanks off the outlet from the EGR valve by fitting a thin shim/plate inline.

The full blanking kit provides thicker plates to seal and blank off the EGR valve output and also the other end of the tube which goes into the throttle body. It is also recommended to remove the butterfly valve.

The first one I would say takes 30 minutes, the second one 60 minutes - both times are really taking your time and assuming you haven't done it before.

It can all be done from the top of the engine (put the D3 in access height first to make it easier to reach in).

My D3 was working fine before but was 3 years old Shocked - I did it as a purely preventative measure and being a 2006 model there are no real downsides. If I was still in warranty I honestly would not bother doing it.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #60604618th Feb 2010 9:49 pm
StephenO

Cheers,

Not sure what to do, I'll probably order the parts and decide from there but I need to do something the lack of power is frustrating me.

I came across one of your old posts, a lot of the posts etc I've seen is that fuel economy is better, is yours worse after fitting the parts?

Thanks again

Stephen

Last edited by StephenO on 28th Mar 2010 9:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #60605618th Feb 2010 10:03 pm
PaulP

Mine's worse, but then again my EGRs were fully funcioning when I blanked them.

If you have an EGR failure than it's likely that you'll have such poor consumption that you'll see an improvement upon blanking, but my experience is that it consumes around 0.5L/100km more Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #60606418th Feb 2010 10:14 pm
ayrshiredisco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

StephenO wrote:
Had a day at Knockhill last year would love to take you up on the offer at Drumclog, is a it a proper off road course??

Stephen Thumbs Up

Oh yeah its a proper off road, many of the sections are for quads and scramblers others for heavily modified 90's and ML's. Also a lot of mod'ed jimnys and vitaras bombing about. Check out Alan G's youtube page for some shots of what we got up to a couple of weeks ago. There is enough to keep you going for 45 mins easily and by the time photo chances are taken into account you'll be 90mins plus plenty of guys to keep you right.

The guys at Gibsons i'm sure will be more than happy to let you poke about while they're working and show you fully whats going on.
 If in doubt............flat out.

Buck blue with mantec, abar, roolights and some of uncle rays finest
club blanked egr's
dark silver mini cooper s 

Post #60607818th Feb 2010 10:22 pm
Whitey72

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Stephen,

You sound as wet behind the ears as I am on this subject and these great guys on the forum have been giving me some good advice. (I can just about top up my water bottle, inflate tyres, fill with diesel and load the CD player!)

It sounds like you have exactly the same problem as what I am experiencing with my D3 (no power when cold and improvement once the engine has warmed up with lack of kick-down here and there)

I have booked my car into a reasonably priced local Land Rover tinkerer on Tuesday for a diagnostic check but it sounds almost inevitable that it's the EGR valves.

If it is the case then (shock horror) I may just have a go at doing the blanking kit exercise myself, so I will let you know how I go on if I attempt this. (I think I'll bottle it)

The only thing that concerns me (other than having to lift the bonnet up) is having to ensure that NOTHING gets dropped into any of the holes during the loosening of nuts/bolts etc.....

I am not the best at avoiding disasters in this respect. Think Frank Spencer...............

I'll keep you posted....

Post #60687120th Feb 2010 2:29 pm
fakesnake

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Just work on ther assumption that if anything can drop into a crevice, it will. So, stuff the crevice with a rag or dust sheet. Also, one of those cheap 'magnets on a stick' is invaluable in my experience of kit car building!
 Richard  
Post #60693820th Feb 2010 5:04 pm
StephenO

Whitey72 wrote:
I have booked my car into a reasonably priced local Land Rover tinkerer on Tuesday for a diagnostic check but it sounds almost inevitable that it's the EGR valves.

Good Luck for tomorrow mate!!! Hope the valves are ok!

StephenO

Post #60826722nd Feb 2010 9:49 pm
Whitey72

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Cheers Stephen.

It's still in the garage. Blanking kit on order from Bell Auto Services Ltd. Both EGRs goosed.

Hopefully, the kit will arrive tomorrow and can be fitted...........

Post #60975124th Feb 2010 10:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 25 123 ... 232425>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >