Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB Binding Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sailingaway

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
EPB Binding Issues

I had my D3 booked in for the glow plugs Monday just gone (and was very fearful of this going horrifically!).

The Friday before, I had a lot of squealing and grinding from the EPB, all sorts of error messages, and ultimately had to use the release cable to get on the road again. This wasn't straightforward - required some bouncing and firm tugging to get the brakes to release.

Given that I already had a garage appointment, I figured they would sort it out so took it to them Monday morning and explained.

(Glow plugs replaced as planned without a hitch - apparently no trouble at all - they came straight out and intact! 2.5hrs labour total!)

Turns out there was lots of scoring rear right apparently, and the EPB was not in a great state.

Garage fixed the brakes by going for new pads & discs on both rear wheels, new EPB shoes and ancillaries, and ( Big Cry ) a new EPB module. The garage went through the initialisation and tested the operation, all well. Car drove home OK. Went to take it on a short hop to the gym and back, and had a bad burning smell from the rear right wheel, with smoke visible. Possibly related to going in to reverse on the drive?

Took it back to the garage, and sadly they have been unable to replicate the fault, despite driving around and generally doing what they can. Apparently there is a slight amount of scoring on the rear right, but they just can't get it to produce a smell/smoke.

It's understood that it may just be the parts bedding in.

I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions - I'm not great mechanically but can give anything a go if there is something to look for. I do have an IID tool.

(I also wonder why it chose now to fail - the only thing I had done the week before last was to fit an oval timer for the FBH and route it through the right hand side of the firewall, and up to just behind the handbrake switch... I also used a grounding bolt in the right hand side of the drivers footwell (which had existing connections). Could be a red herring, but could be significant)

Any thoughts?

Post #235625718th Dec 2023 4:43 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

There is an adjustment "procedure" which needs be followed when installing the handbrake shoes. This essentially allows the EPB module to calibrate / learn a datum point for the new shoes. If your garage is unfamiliar with this it's possible some element of the adjustment has not been completed correctly.

If you allow the car to freewheel (in neutral) at about 5 mph and apply the handbrake, the EPB should immediately and very sharply stop the car with even force on both rear hubs. If it doesn't further adjustments will likely be required.

Detailed explanations and the correct adjustment procedures can be found here:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...Pics~2.pdf
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #235627018th Dec 2023 8:16 pm
sailingaway

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks - that's great advice.

The problem hasn't reappeared, and I have a sneaking suspicion that on round 2 the garage might have just adjusted everything better. I'll run through the 'procedure' and continue to monitor.

Now to figure out where the air suspension is leaking...!

Post #235630619th Dec 2023 11:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >