DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Enduro Bike v D4 Commercial??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sit

England 
Enduro Bike v D4 Commercial??

Afternoon,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas, killing the downtime until NYE with a fantasy about pursuing a bit of off road riding, enduro, h&h to keep up fitness and have an ‘out’ from the stresses and strains of daily life.

Done a load of the experience days (KTM, Yam, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki) so it’s not completely blind. Knowing that tea leafs steal mx bikes for a past time I was working out the best way to transport it, thinking about a small box trailer, selling the Disco for a van……….BUT then realised - I ALREADY OWN A VAN!!!!!! Mr. Green

So looking at dimensions of the load space in a D4 the length isn’t an issue (front wheel removed) however it’s the height that could be a challenge. I am half tempted to buy what I have seen and let fate play out however I thought it worth an ask to see if anyone has fitted an mx bike in their D4 commercial???

As I say it’s a front wheel out job (replaced with wheelbarrow wheel or similar to make loading easy) but it would be an absolute win if I didn’t need to a) spend more money on a trailer and b) have to sell the D4.

Cheers all and Happy New Year!

Si

Post #235696827th Dec 2023 4:22 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

You might be OK with a little thought.

I've had a Ducati 900SS Superlight upright in the back of my D4 with the front wheel removed.

BUT, I had already removed the fairing and couldn't have the fork bottoms right on the deck as that tilted the seat unit up enough that it touched the roof lining. I had a short length of railway sleeper under them.

Obviously an Enduro bike is a lot taller at both ends than a 90's sportsbike, and I'm sure you're going to have to give some thought to how much that back end tilts up when you drop the front.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #235698627th Dec 2023 6:37 pm
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've a cycle carrier from Dave Cooper, and have used one of these for a Trials bike.
This'll be an easier carry option than loading inside a D4 I think.
http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #235698827th Dec 2023 6:57 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

I bought a Motolug for my Adventure bike......

Nice bit of kit and easy to store but ££££

Post #235699227th Dec 2023 7:47 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Non-Lift-Scooter-Rack.htm

or

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Hydraulic-Scooter-&-Bike-Rack.htm

Will need to do some weight calculations - but they work well on most Landorvoers due to the heavier nose weight limits.

Post #235702528th Dec 2023 7:26 am
Sit

England 

Thanks for all the replies gents, I think I am just going to have to play and see what can be achieved. I had seen the racks but don’t want it on display so it’s either in the back of the Disco or I will buy a small box trailer to put it in.

Such theft magnets I can’t be doing with the stress of worrying someone is following me home or sees parking up and before you know it my house/garage/workshop is getting screwed because someone wants what I have worked damn hard to buy.

Length wise the load area in the D4 is long enough (minus front wheel) but it’s the seat/rear mudguard height that might be a challenge. I have seen fork compression devices for transport purposes - I wonder if there is such a thing for rear shocks?

Will let you know how this goes - having scoured Google with various search terms it seems no one in the world has ever asked this question.

Si

Post #235702728th Dec 2023 8:48 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

trailer is prob your best bet, trying to get something inside the disco on your own will be a proper faf plus if its dirty its going to be inside your disco by the time your home

small covered trailer if you've somewhere to keep it plus you will have kit, fuel, and other stuff to take so it will be easier in a trailer and you wont need to sort the stuff out as soon as you get back home you just leave it in the trailer until you have time (assuming trailer is kept somewhere secure) Thumbs Up

ps when you sell it all it will prob be easier to sell if its all in a trailer

pps or buy a pickup
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #235702928th Dec 2023 10:22 am
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If going down the trailer route - make sure you have a means of securing it to the towbar when you leave it in Service Stations etc.

Post #235703228th Dec 2023 10:45 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

+1000%....

I had an 6hr journey back when I bought mine. Legs crossed all the way. Even with a lock on the handle it would be too easy to snip and bye bye...

Post #235703928th Dec 2023 1:35 pm
cable

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

For exactly the same reasons as you, I stopped using my bike rack to carry my trials bike, thought great ideal I'll carry inside my D3. Removed the rear seats, put the passenger front seat forward and it would fit length wise. Had to lower handlebar height via the clamps to get it in height wise, which was ok until after arriving at a meeting and while adjusting handlebars back to correct height the clamp snapped!
An enduro is a bigger bike and you will have to modify to get it in, as you say front wheel out, may still have to compress forks, with small ratchet strap maybe. Same with the rear suspension But try it, it's a faf but a great feeling when your bike is inside with you without the worry of trailers etc.
I try to ride every week so lowering handlebars and or compressing suspension was becoming a bit of a chore, but if your an occasional rider it will be fine.
Just after the clamp incident a relative was selling his van, that is now my usual bike transport. But if anything was to happen to the van, the rear seats would be coming back out the D3.
Thumbs Up

Post #235704328th Dec 2023 3:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >