Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

electronic rust proofing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoDC

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
electronic rust proofing

Am awaiting the days when the Disco takes a run along the beach. Would the Disco benefit with electronic rust proofing? Or is there sufficient rust protection provided upon manufacture?

Post #62172616th Mar 2010 9:13 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There is never enough rust protection.
The O/E under body protection is supposed to equate to 3 years normal life, however the test for this is is 720hrs (1 month) in a neutral salt spray cabinet. so by using it on a beach you will reduce it from 36 months towards (but no where near unless it is 50oc all the time)1month.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #62184216th Mar 2010 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi DiscoDC,
The general consensus seems to be that electronic rust protection varies from "no benefit" to "accelerates corrosion". TBH I wouldn't bother and instead concentrate on giving your vehicle a good wash down after beach excursions.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #62217717th Mar 2010 3:09 am
DiscoDC

Thanks guys. I am trying to read up on reviews of such devises of its actually benefit...if any. The other factor is if such an inclusion would void warranty.

Post #62224617th Mar 2010 10:06 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

DiscoDC,

I can offer what we do on offshore platforms and platforms, which is to spend a fortune on subtle engineering before putting on any anti-corrosion system. Simple electronic systems can indeed increase corrosion rates in specific areas (generally where stresses are greatest which is also in the deepest part of cavities). The whole subject of corrosion is an art as much of a science and it is very complicated. For both of these items the experts all say that nothing replaces really good paint. That is also what the D3 and D4 has underneath. Irregardless of what you do, be sure to inspect the paint before driving in the drink, and give it a thorough washing and inspection afterwards. My old D3 had more than its share of salty sand and ocean water and there wasn't a single spot of any pre-rust in 3 years, I just drove it up on ramps and got drenched doing a good rinse after each trip.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #62337219th Mar 2010 7:17 am
DiscoDC

took the beast on its maiden beach trip. ventured through some nice tracks before reaching the beach. obviously got a fair amount of sand everywhere. i must say that the car was awesome. was with two mates who both had nissan navara's. they had no problems either but the disco just handled everything so soothly with absolute ease. had a passenger who was shocked as to how smooth the ride was. thankfully there was a car wash in the town. it had an underbody spray/clean system which the car drove on top of a large grate and about 40 odd nozzles sprayed the underbody for about 5 min. great system. however, what about cleaning the engine bay and even the air filter. is it a necessity?

cant wait to take the car on the tracks again. got to love the looks of everyone seeing a gorgeous black disco on the tracks.

Post #62904029th Mar 2010 12:52 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Capacitive Corrosion Protection? installed

I noted the comments in the previous posts and I must acknowledge it will be years, (I hope), before I know if it actually works, however I have installed a capacitive corrosion control device on my LR3. I purchased the device out of the States, however I discovered it while surfing Australian web sites. The USA website is as follows: http://www.counteractcpr.com/

About the only indication that the system might work that I am aware of came from a show car Mustang owner who lives near Victoria British Columbia Canada, (Pacific Ocean). He said that earlier this year when he checked his car, he started to see slight corrosion and then discovered that his battery charger was not connected and hence the unit was not running. In previous years, there had been no apparent over winter corrosion problems.

The biggest problem I had was finding two only 2 inch (50 mm) square flat metal surfaces in opposing corners of the 3. Fo the front located coupler pad, I found a suitable spot sort of under the air filter box located in the right front of the engine compartment. (4.4 petrol V eight). For the rear pad, I installed the pad down low in the tail light area below the Rear heater / AC fan assembly.

I have posted pictures of the install in my gallery. One can sort of see the front coupler in the picture, (the brighter white patch), but for the rear, one can only follow the loop of black flex wire loom as runs from the right to left and then drops down below and behind to a flat area that one cannot see, but that you can feel.

The power supply is attached with supplied 3M sticky to the flat black plastic surface under the antilock brake lines in the Aux battery bay. The single white colour electrical conductor that runs to the rear coupler I fished thru that unused firewall empty rubber grommet hole reserved for the clutch hydraulic line.

Regarding installation, just to make the install process as bit less simple, a few days prior to sticking the coupler pads to the painted metal of the 3, re the front pad, I sprayed some clear coat paint to the area where the pad was to be installed. With regards to the rear, I attempted to “wipe” some of the clear coat over the existing paint.

My reason for this is that the coupler surface is not to be in direct contact with bare metal – the coupler is supposed to be some sort of capacitor, not a conductor. While there is certainly paint on the metal surfaces in both locations, it was not clear to me that the factory paint was much more than a single primer coat, hence my attempt at an extra thickness of paint material.

With my install, there is no noise, (hum, whine or otherwise), that emanates from the power supply – just a red flashing LED, (2 pulses per second), to indicate that all is well. I gather however that depending upons ones hearing and the actual power unit received, sometimes one can hear a slight hum coming from the power supply.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #6440802nd May 2010 10:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >