Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EGR Blanking & reduced power : connection ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
Don't forget that if there is an EGR DTC stored the ECM will drop the engine power whether or not the EGR's are blanked off, just blanking off a jammed EGR will not restore the 'lost' power.....

This it true.

Post #29917715th May 2008 3:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

al cope wrote:
bit of mixed question Wex. When mine were playing up, they were sticking wide open, resulting in a loss of power due to them dumping all the exhaust crap back in, all the time, so fitting blanking plates would cure this. On 07 models, this would also result in a fault warning light coming on, something 06 and previous years models dont do (although fault codes would still be logged). I waited until I'd had both EGR valves replaced, and then blanked them off.

Al

Last night it happened again , well tbh I forced it to happen.Reason being is that on all occasions previously I imediately pulled in , switched off , switched her on and carried on my merry way.This time I continued on the hard shoulder.No matter how much I tried to accelerate , nothing happened.It gradually slowed itself down .As it did this I moved down through the gears aswell.Eventually I reached 3 rd and then quickly dropped it into 2 nd.Immediately the engine bit back into life again and I was on my way again, can't say whether I had full power , felt like it did.Special programs weren't functioning ( Terrain Response , Cruise Control) , .

Im on my way into my dealers in a minute and Im going to take the service manager out to recreate it on the road again.Ill let you all know what the outcome/diagnosis is.But TFC may be right the valve may be shagged but becaused theres no gases entering anymore eventuially the engine cops this and restores full power.The DTC is more then likely the cause of the Programs failure , ie no cruise , no terrain response.

Cheers , D

Post #29949716th May 2008 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

yours sounds different, as mine wasn't going into a "limp home" mode, just no power due to no clean air.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #29950116th May 2008 9:01 am
Wex

Sorry Al , I wasn't specific bud.Don't think mine is going into limp home.I've never experienced limp home TBH on any occasion touch wood.
No , just a loss of power completely.The engine would gradually slow down to nothing.I just did it with the tech on the way back to the office . He asked me to stick it in neutral as the revs were receeding and rev " the bollix" out of it.Did this for a sec or two and stuck it back in gear and hey presto power back.Whilst I was at it I showed him the EGR blanks.He was impressed and hadn't seen it done on a D3 yet.Explained to him about the blanks and removing the butterfly shutter.Assured him that I didn't think that it was attributable to the fault Whistle Did notice though that when we took off the engine cover that there was a little gunk around one of the joints/circular clips where the S/S ( ?) EGR pipe is joined to the air intake manifold.I musn't have fixed it properly.Maybe this is part of the fault ? Confused

Post #29951816th May 2008 9:44 am
al cope

England 

OK, that does sound like mine, completely no power, for me, being a manual, I dropped the clutch, rev it until reving clean, and away we went. This was all before fitting blanking plates. I didnt get any other faults at the same time, no warning lights, no loss of any other programs (though as it happens quickly, I'd not tried them). Fixed by replacing both EGR valves - then I blanked them off.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #29953716th May 2008 10:16 am
Wex

Al Thumbs Up

Will post results later.

Post #29954016th May 2008 10:18 am
Wex

Quick conversation with the service manager.My head is all over the shop but initial diagnosis is two faults :

1st:EGR valve wide open excessive exhaust gas inflow
2 nd :Problems with turbo pressure solenoid ( or something like that)

I've asked about a printout with the technical jargon on it so's I can post for anyone that may need it .

Prognosis on the turbo issue is a replacement turbo , approx 8 - 10 hours labour , no thanks.Gut feeling it'll be ok once below is rectified.I hope I'm proved right.

EGR issue , I suggested myself replacing the two EGR valves.

They were a bit confused as to the workings of the blanking procedure.I assured them that it merely blanks the ingress of EG's at the closest point to the exhaust .The removal of the butterfly gate/valve was necessitated by the fact that if it wasn't removed the engine would try to suck in EG's and because they EGR system/inlet was now blanked it would starve the engine of air/oxygen.

Post #29960316th May 2008 12:52 pm
Wex

Quote:
EGR issue , I suggested myself replacing the two EGR valves.

I reconsidered this when I heard that it would cost approx 900 euro.

Collected it , faults cleared . A couple of tests on the way back to the office .No recurrence ..... yet. Shocked

This make sense to anyone ?
Click image to enlarge

Post #29973316th May 2008 6:02 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Have been told today the problem with mine is the EGR valves, 08.5MY about 9500 miles and the EGRs are f Censored d Big Cry can't they make reliable valves Question

Just hope they can get it sorted for June, I'm booked to go to Tunisia Evil or Very Mad
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #29975116th May 2008 7:02 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The obvious thing that is noticable on the readout is that both egr's are consistent i.e the graphs are very similar so how can they determine that only one egr is wide open?

Turbo boost looks consistent, with just a couple of little blips. Fuel pressure is erm...... constant at 21.8mpa Thumbs Up

What the hell all this really means is anyones guess.

If you get a repeat of the fault, then I would remove the blanks and restore the system to standard and get the faults cleared. If it subsequently repeats the errors then you know that at least it was not the blanks that caused it.

Post #29975716th May 2008 7:16 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

What I found interesting with mine is that it didn't play up once today, the only difference being the weather is cooler, a bit like the thermostat issue Confused
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #29975916th May 2008 7:30 pm
Wex

Cheers Gareth Thumbs Up

Quote:
Fuel pressure is erm...... constant at 21.8mpa

Embarassed That good or bad , 21.8 mpa I mean Question

No problems over the weekend , managed a few haul trips with fully laden trailer with no failures.I put it down to that loose clip on the EGR pipe.Saved myself a fair few grand by opting to run with it and " wait & see".

Post #30061919th May 2008 10:56 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Some Advice please guys

I was planning to do the blanking thingy this weekend . In light of the above do you think I should hold off a bit

Thanks
Heine

Post #30062119th May 2008 11:00 am
Wex

Heine , my problem was associated ( in my opinion) with the fact that I didn't reconnect one of the clips on one of the pipes correctly.
My dealer wasn't able to give a definitive diagnosis as because the EGR's were blanked , the resultant readings were not within the parameters that the IDS was designed within or could give a diagnosis on .I hope that makes sense.In otherwords as the software or equipment was only designed to read information on vehicles that weren't EGRblanked.Maybe this is Bull.

I'll try and post a pic of the clip in question.

Hand on heart I'd say go ahead with it.Since I got it back ( with the clip properly fixed) the D3 feels alot better.

Edit to add pic ( courtesy of JM Thumbs Up ) The one ( of two) circled was loose with some gunk evident around the joint and protective sheathing.

Last edited by Wex on 19th May 2008 11:23 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #30062619th May 2008 11:10 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Post #30062819th May 2008 11:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >