DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

dsc and outback roads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
dsc and outback roads

G'day all

one of the ways DSC is said to operate is to apply braking to wheels that are slipping/sliding as well as some throttle moderation in under and oversteer situations. Most of us are familiar with the typical outback road - corrugated, bulldust/sand and often strewn with small rocks which I generally tackle by driving at anywhere between 85 and 120 km/h to smooth out the corrugations which always results in significant amounts of slipping and sliding -all part of the fun and skill of covering large (> 300kms) sections of this extraordinary land in an acceptable time frame.

With all this 'destablised' activity going on am I going to have a DSC system working overtime and wearing out components (such as brakes) very quickly, or is the system just watching and only interfering at the last minute? does it light up when on? and will some of the fun of drifting thru long sweeping bends be lost? any experience or thoughts about this dilema? Basically leave it on in such conditions or disable?
regards Angus

Post #618064th Jun 2006 4:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You will find most of the info you require about DSC here (ESC is the generic name)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Program

The main point to remember is:

Quote:
ESC cannot override a car's physical limits. If a driver pushes the possibilities of the car's chassis and ESC too far, ESC cannot prevent a crash. It is a tool to help the driver maintain control.

Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #618134th Jun 2006 8:10 am
catweasel

[I generally tackle by driving at anywhere between 85 and 120 km/h to smooth out the corrugations which always results in significant amounts of slipping and sliding ]

youll never get anywhere if your dead, just let me know when your in SA so i can avoid you

[With all this 'destablised' activity going on ]

destabilised in your thinking

Post #618144th Jun 2006 8:15 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We gave the Disco it's first long dirt road trip last week on some of the corrugated dirt 'roads' along the North of the Murray River, with the van on tow, and from our campsites without the van. Never saw any sign of the DSC activating, even while in some (mild) slides around unexpected corners, so sijui, I don't think you need worry too much.

Very impressed with the D3 though - quiet and comfortable for the 3-4 hour slog to get beyond civilization, using 16.1 l/100km on asphalt at about 100km/h, not on cruise control 9V6 petrol). Very stable on the dirt and, a real change from the Defender, DUSTPROOF! But that illigitimate tow hitch is FAR too low!

Some new photos are posted.

Cheers,
Tony.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #618154th Jun 2006 8:17 am
sijui

hey Tony
thanks for your feedback about the dsc and I will be leaving it on in most situations though I have seen posts here that recommend turning it off anytime you use a TR program

This car is very surefooted and gets you wherever effortlessly. I have been getting around 9-10l/100kms with only 4000 on the clock. I don't like the loose drivetrain and i reckon a software fix should be engineered for this but i bet you it won't happen.
I have been waiting 2 months for the flexible loadspace protector - seat covers look crappy but probably work
I am going with the arb bullbar and the lr side steps

LR have got to do something with the towing setup!

the last land rover I had was in 1977 - a range rover that was like a vacuum cleaner. but it was at its time a ground breaking car and i think may be the d3 is another

Thanks dickgriff for the notes on dsc
cheers
Angus

Post #618234th Jun 2006 11:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Angus,

Don't worry about DSC on gravel, I've never switched it off for the gravel and it's never caused me any grief. Just switch to 'Gravel, Grass & Snow' on the TR and you'll have no problems!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #619335th Jun 2006 6:31 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

...but you do want to turn DSC off in mud/ruts, sand, or rock crawl to limit it interfering with forward progress.

The manual also states this.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #619425th Jun 2006 7:58 am
sijui

Thank you for the good oil on the dsc. dickgriff's link has an interesting critique of these stability control systems and how they are said to contribute to a degraded driving experience. Not something I think is likey where we will be driving the d3! Very Happy

saw in the australian paper that car jacking in sydney (for atm ram and grab) is on the increase as immobilsers in flash fast cars are proving too hard for thieves to nick - we better watch out with the d3 as i reckon it would make a formidable ramming car if you could bear the pain of trashing well engineered machinery

Post #619505th Jun 2006 8:20 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

sijui, I don't thinks "they" will loose too much sleep!

Post #623486th Jun 2006 7:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >