Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Door Latch Failure

Classification
Mechanical system issue

Problem
Both the driver and passenger latches can fail, leaving it impossible to open the doors

Affected vehicles
All

Reported
4th October 2006 by DiscoStu in Post #91166

Reported Cases
Reported frequently on DISCO3

Occurs
Constant issue

Submitted to dealer network
Yes

Dealer Response
n/a

Submitted to LR Customer Services
n/a

LR CS Response Reported
n/a

Fix/Solution
None: When it fails then the door can normally be opened by putting pressure on the interior lock button at the same time as pressing the door unlock button on the dash or on the remote.

Other Comments
Not sure if this is a batch problem or if a modified latch has been introduced to cure the problem.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #26558328th Feb 2008 12:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

my fix was a replacement. the intrim solution of pressing the dash button dip not work - on Sept 06 registered S

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #26558428th Feb 2008 12:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

The front passenger door lock on mine was replaced last year when this happened to me. I have since discovered that, if the doors are locked and I accidentally press the Lock button on the remote (instead of the unlock button), the drivers door lock will not unlock when I then press the unlock button. Al the other doors are fine. I have to climb in the passenger door, lean across and pull the drivers door latch while simultaneously pressing the unlock button on the dash. All is then well again.

Strangely, if I lock the car using the remote and then press the lock button again within 3 secs to disable the interior movement sensor, the drivers door will unlock no problem. It's only if the car has been deadlocked for a while that the problem occurs. As I know what the problem is, I'll just live with it (and try not to press the lock button instead of the unlock button when I want to open the car!)
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #26559028th Feb 2008 12:29 pm
Iron Ada 2

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hello everyone - my first post on here. Great site all round.

Interesting to note this theme. I recently took my D3 HSE into Hartwell Land Rover near Oxford to get a new fuse for my power wash. Not only did I discover by accident that the fuse rating is now 15 amps rather than the previous 1o amp but.......and this is more interesting.....

I had previously taken the car in for a check on the door locks. Passenger and both rear doors had on occasion failed to open using any method and clearly this was a huge safety issue not being able to extract the kids (or indeed anyone!). Well I took the car in a few weeks later, this being after they had first inspected the problem and found nothing, having waited for the 'parts' to arrive to solve the problem. Neutral

Anyway the car was duly picked up and then returned later that day. On return the delivery driver, very politely asked me if I knew that I had to press the remote twice to unlock the car. Clearlly I knew that but remained polite and said thanks. Shocked Later on I realised that I had no paperwork and later on again the fault re-occurred.

So back to the start ....this weekend I popped in for the fuses and just asked if I could have a copy of the paperwork to show the work done and to report the repeated failure. Guess what ......no paperwork....in fact the service guy admitted that no work had been done on the door locks at all and all they had done was give the car a visual check and identified that the pads were a bit worn (60/40 front and rear wear) and that I should consider getting new tyres. Yes thanks indeed - shall I give you some more money Mr Hartwell! Evil or Very Mad

I have now written to Land Rover and told them how disgusted I am that no work was done to rectify a safety problem and await a reply. I will never use Hartwell again - one strike and your out when it comes to safety in my book.

Sorry for the rant but pretty disgusted with Hartwell!

PS - I bought the car from Roger Young in Saltash - they are excellent across the board - and use it to tow a caravan to Steam Rallies - I also own a 12 ton Traction Engine so have a huge carbon footprint Rolling Eyes
PPS - this Government should sod off and stop just murdering anyone who wants to work for a living and has some money to spend because they work hard.
PPPS - Not sure whether to wait for the new D3 - due to change Nov this year - arrrghhh decisions.
 HSE Black - Orkney Grey, ivory leather, privacy glass, tow bar. GBNF - Discover 4 XS Nara Bronze (11); Discovery 3 HSE, Zermatt Silver (57); Discovery 3 HSE, Buckingham Blue (55); Volvo V70 Titanium SE (53); Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE, Denim Blue (02); Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6, Black (99-V); VW Corrado VR6, Red (92-K); Toyota MR2, Racing Green (94-M); Nissan Sunny GTI, Red (92-K); Mk1 Toyota MR2 T-bar, Red (89-G); Citroen AX GT, Red (87-E); Talbot Horizon, Snot Green (83-A, I think).  
Post #27162512th Mar 2008 7:09 pm
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

On my 55 plate D3, pasenger front door now fails to open. Tried everything, presed remote twice, lock and unlock, ash lock button, tried the interior handle still nothing.

Told to bring to Hunters of Norwich at 9.15 tomorrow morning for a sit and wait..... Shocked

Off to Florida on Friday and need the car to do the airport run so I hope it will get sorted.....!!!! Will let you know the outcome

Post #2840058th Apr 2008 5:15 pm
Beachboy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Have an intermittent problem with my nearside rear passenger door, just won't open no matter what. Took it into stealers,requires a new door latch being, covered under warranty.But...... you guest it Exclamation parts on back order no promise date Rolling Eyes

Post #2840118th Apr 2008 5:28 pm
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Grrrr feckin feck fecker.....Just been out to try the above and low and behold the feckin door opened first time. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Now I am in two minds whether to do to the stealers in the morning or just leave it and phone them.

Post #2840638th Apr 2008 7:14 pm
B19DEF

Still changing door latches here oop north, when they are not backordered to oblivion (along with disco 3 EGR valves, puma defender clutches and at one point TDV8 oil filters!)
What sort of company allows oil filters to go out of stock????!!! Shocked

Post #2841068th Apr 2008 8:40 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Iron Ada 2 wrote:
I have now written to Land Rover and told them how disgusted I am that no work was done to rectify a safety problem and await a reply. I will never use Hartwell again - one strike and your out when it comes to safety in my book.

It would be interesting to see the reply to your letter & how LR see this fault - I agree it is a definite safety issue -being able to get out of the car quickly in an emergency is a concern.

I wonder if the problem is linked to the auto door locking function & the way of being able to open doors with two "pulls" of the door handle....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #2842369th Apr 2008 5:28 am
brombonce

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Rear split door locked, tried all methods no joy, EGR valve sensor fault, not happy bunny, LR now loaned me HSE D3 until fixed? been a week so far inc bank-hol still no sign of repair but dealer doing best? Does anybody have a clue why the delay and/or why no manual entry system for boot?
 How far is it?.Does it matter?.  
Post #30401229th May 2008 4:37 am
bigjohnuk

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Guys,

Disco 3 56 plate HSE

I have a simular issue with the rear near side door. If I unlock the Discovery with the key. Yes I know to press it twice, the rear near side door is the only door that does not open, the other 3 doors plus rear open OK. If I then relock all of the doors usingthe button on the dask board and then press the unlock button on the dash board then the door with the issue then unlocks OK.

So why does it open with the dask board unlock button and not the key?

Any one with any ideas please.

Cheers

John

Post #3278921st Aug 2008 10:35 pm
Surfer

United Kingdom 
Tail Gate Stuck

Just got back from work and my Wife informs me the tail gate is stuck on my D3 (55 plate), when the key fob is pressed to open the tail gate you can hear the lock trying to release but nothing happens, I tried the emergency release but that doesn't work either - Does anyone have any tips - can it be manually released from inside / outside?

Post #36002114th Oct 2008 10:32 pm
DiscoStu

England 

You can try holding the 'unlock' button in on the dash whilst operating the handle on the back door and pulling. It works 95% of the time, depends on the fault. Obviously it takes 2 people to do this Rolling Eyes
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #36004114th Oct 2008 11:50 pm
Surfer

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info - I have a Disco3 - so no handle? Suppose I could try holding in the emergency lock from the dash plus getting second person pull gate up from outside - any other ideas...?

Post #36017515th Oct 2008 12:20 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Funnily enough, I have a D3 too Whistle

The outside handle Thumbs Up
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #36025915th Oct 2008 3:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >