Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Door Latch Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
jasperrr

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3
Doors not locking

I already made a appointment to replace the locking mechanism of my rear door when I found out that by locking the door twice, the door is actually locked.
With the first push on the remote (or button on the dash) the little black locking lever in the door moves only half way and the door can be opened from outside. Push it again and the lever moves further and the door is locked.

Let's see for how long this trick works.

Post #134652423rd Sep 2014 12:37 pm
Adolfsson

Sweden 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

For a very short while i'm afraid..

The small electrical motor is on it's way out..

Post #134652823rd Sep 2014 12:39 pm
Adimac

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

While waiting for parts I used a long broom handle to push the lift gate while operating the dash board emergency unlock (well actually in my case a long bit of string to unlock manually)- works and lets one person do the job from inside. Not all that cool tho !!!!

Post #134661023rd Sep 2014 3:41 pm
ogriboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

My D3 had drivers door locking failure but this occurred when door was shut so no access possible. The internal latch had no effect nor the outside handle. Pushing dash buttons and latch also no effect fob use no effect so door permanently locked. Had to climb in over the from the passenger side. Tried all efforts and suggestions on forum no go. Finally managed to strip door panel 2/3 off with door closed (yes it can be done without damage) this gives a visual to locking bar in B post. Fed bar down with 90deg end into lock back opening could feel latch and attempted to lift or rotate. Some movement but still not enough to open. Also have to mention no sound from the actuator so totally dead.

Just about to give up but decided, as battery was low due to in out/fob etc and interior lights, to charge battery to full capacity as nothing to loose my theory being sometimes these solenoids have different draw currents when playing up and any low voltage won't give them a kick. Did this also went for a hard reset via battery terminals. I also disconnected the cable from back of door lever for better access from outside the car when doing dual latch opening technique.

So now fully charged and reset decided to start up and see if the motion lock sensor would energise whilst I was holding the cable in right hand as we moved forward. Indeed it did Laughing and i pulled the cable at same time and hey presto one door unlocked Very Happy Now to fit new mechanisms. Hope this helps.

Post #14027207th Jan 2015 11:41 am
paddingtonfire

England 

Afternoon all,

One day into Disco ownership (05 HSE), and I have the dreaded tailgate issue - it was ok yesterday when I picked it up!. I know there's loads of info on here, and I apologise for asking for the same info again. I've spent the last two hours reading about it, but just want to ensure I do the right thing when I go to fix it...

When the car is unlocked I get the solenoid movement, but nothing else. I've done the dashboard lock/unlock procedures and it didn't work, indeed when my son was pressing both buttons I got nothing from the boot unlock while he did that. Is it the panel removal and fishing procedure I need, and new cables to do the job - any other bits?

Can I close the top tailgate once I've released it, so if I have to order parts I'm not stuck with an open boot?

I'm really sorry for asking so many questions, I'm a newbie in these parts... Has anyone done a photo thread? If not I may try...

Best Regards,

Mike

Post #14674372nd May 2015 4:02 pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hope this helps

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic99648.html

Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #14690235th May 2015 9:04 pm
paddingtonfire

England 

Thanks for the pointer. In the end, I used this method...

For my problem it worked. First you need to remove the three 10mm bolts from the flap that opens and closes with the boot lid. The measurements he gave are pretty much spot on, remembering the 15 1/2" line comes from the left as you look from the inside and from where start of the curved part of the moulding. 5 1/4" from the bottom works too. I used a 25mm holesaw, then worked up to the 13mm bit to get through the metal body of the actuator. I used the thinnest long nosed pliers I had and it opened the door in minutes. Remember though you may well not get the top tailgate to close securely after this as the broken part comes out. I've bought one of these...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&...1126865413

To plug the hole.

I've then done the step by step method listed in here somewhere to great effect. One thing I've not found mentioned elsewhere though was the release noise - it's now a much more defined sound of a clunk rather than the sound just of the solenoid which is what I had all the way up until the angled metal bit failed.

My rite of passage into my 'new' Discovery has begun, next stop side steps, if I can get those blasted sill screws out to start the job.

I've attached a couple of photos of the boot access procedure I did, disregard the 32mm spade bit, it's not needed.

Thanks,

Mike

Post #14693606th May 2015 3:57 pm
olanguedoc

Canada 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR3

Lately,

when i press the unlock & lock button on the center console. the doors are locking.

My rear right passenger handle seem no be bad. You need to pull the lever and the lock switch at the same time to open the door.

Could these be related?

Post #153738130th Sep 2015 12:50 pm
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So this was my day today:

Went to the Landrover Dealers to get some number plates made and fitted.
After this was done, I started up my car - but then I realised I had to get something off the back seat.
So I got out of the car (Car is an Auto, and was in Park, with handbrake on, with the car still running - thought it was only going to be for a few seconds, and the car was just warming up....), and (subconsciously) closed the drivers door, in order to open the rear right door.
I found that the rear right door was locked from outside, so I thought maybe I forgot to open the locks.
I then went to open the drivers door from outside, to get back into the car, but it was locked too!
I then tried all the other doors, and found they were all locked from outside!
So my car was now running, and I was standing outside the car (in the drizzle), and all of the doors were locked!
Also, my mobile phone was also locked in the car!
I walked back into the Landrover Dealer to see if there was something they could do to help (maybe they have a master key?), but the dealer said all they can do is break into the car, which would be likely to damage the door or window.
I was quite surprised that a main dealer would not have a way to easily get into a car in an emergency.
I used the phone at the Landrover Dealer to call a family member, who luckily was free to bring me my spare key.
The Landrover Dealer then closed and everyone went home (it was the end of the day)
I then had to wait 2 hours near the Landrover Dealer (in the drizzle), while someone drove to me from my home, with the spare key.
Fortnuately a local resident let me use their phone once or twice, to contact my family member (as my phone was locked in my car, which was idling away...)
The spare key was unable to unlock the car remotely (maybe because the car had a key in the ignition and was running?), but thankfully it worked in the keyhole hidden under the passenger outer door handle.
I could now get into the car and finally drive home.
I would not really like to be in this situation again - every other car I have had in the past, it is impossible to lock the key in the car, especially if it is running!
After I unlocked the car with the spare key, I tested the unlocking with both keys, and all locks opened fine from outside.
Is there anything else I should check?
The only thing I have ever noticed regarding the door locks is:

(sorry it took me 24 hours to get back to finish writing this...)

KEY 1 (MAIN)
Press Landrover button on key fob = courtesy headlights come on - OK
When car is unlocked, press lock button on key fob once = all car doors and boot lock - OK
When car is locked or unlocked, press lock button on key fob quickly twice = all car doors and boot lock, but passenger door unlocks from outside - NOT OK!
When car is locked, press unlock button on key fob once = only front doors open from outside - OK
When car is locked, press unlock button on key fob twice = all doors and boot unlock from outside - OK

KEY 2 (SPARE)
Press Landrover button on key fob = courtesy headlights come on - OK
When car is unlocked, press lock button on key fob once = all car doors and boot lock - OK
When car is locked or unlocked, press lock button on key fob quickly twice = all car doors and boot lock, but passenger door unlocks from outside - NOT OK!
When car is locked, press unlock button on key fob once = only front doors open from outside - OK
When car is locked, press unlock button on key fob twice = all doors and boot unlock from outside - OK

INSIDE CAR:

Drivers Door (Front Right Door)
Silver door handle moves the lock lever on the door, but does not open the drivers door - PROBABLY NOT OK
Moving the lock lever manually cannot get the drivers door to unlock - NOT OK

Door lock lever next to silver lever inside car, can be used to lock the door = it locks the door from inside and outside - OK (Tested this by winding window down and trying to open door from outside...)
Door lock lever next to silver lever inside car, cannot be used to unlock the door from the inside or outside = it does not unlock the door from inside and outside (Tested this by winding window down and trying to open door from outside...) - NOT OK
Lock button on dashboard = locks door inside/outside - OK
Unlock button on dashboard = unlocks door inside/outside - OK
The only way to UNLOCK the drivers door from inside the car, is to press the unlock button on the dashboard - NOT OK

THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE FRONT PASSENGER DOOR DOES

Front Passenger Door (Front Left Door)
Silver door handle moves the lock lever on the door, and this opens the door - PROBABLY OK
Moving the lock lever manually cannot get the door to lock from inside or outside - NOT OK
(I tested this by winding the window down and opening the door from outside)
Door lock lever next to silver lever inside car, can be used to unlock the door = it unlocks the door from inside and outside - OK
Door lock lever next to silver lever inside car, cannot be used to lock the door from the inside or outside = it does not lock the door from inside and outside - NOT OK
Lock button on dashboard = locks door inside/outside - OK
Unlock button on dashboard = unlocks door inside//outside - OK
The only way to LOCK the front left door from inside the car, is to press the lock button on the dashboard - NOT OK

THIS IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE DRIVERS DOOR DOES

Rear Right Door
Silver lever inside door does not move locking lever with it - PROBABLY OK
To unlock the door, the locking lever is pulled up, and then the car door can be opened from inside the car, or from outside the car - PROBABLY OK
When child lock is on = door cannot be opened from inside the car, but can be opened from outside the car - OK
When the lock button is pressed on the dashboard = door locks from inside and outside - OK
When the unlock button is pressed on the dashboard = door unlocks from inside and outside - OK

Rear Left Door
Silver lever inside door does not move locking lever with it - PROBABLY OK
To unlock the door, the locking lever is pulled up, and then the car door can be opened from inside the car, or from outside the car - PROBABLY OK
When child lock is on = door cannot be opened from inside the car, but can be opened from outside the car - OK
When the lock button is pressed on the dashboard = door locks from inside and outside - OK
When the unlock button is pressed on the dashboard = door unlocks from inside and outside - OK

Naturally I will (hopefully) be much more careful in the future to not leave the key inside the car when closing the doors, and I advise all of you the same

Your input would be much appreciated

Last edited by aman on 23rd Dec 2015 8:47 pm. Edited 13 times in total 
Post #158171322nd Dec 2015 9:08 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Shocked I'm always getting out and closing my door behind me with the engine left running Confused

Post #158172122nd Dec 2015 9:19 pm
charlo

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Maya GoldDiscovery 3
R rear passenger door locked and can't get it open

Hi
Doors locked automatically when I drove off, go to my destination and the R rear passenger door won't unlock. Tried some of the fixs suggested here... pulling latch and pressing the central door unlock, changed key fob to newer rarely used and no luck. The latch feels stiff/ some resistance when pulled. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post #173684620th Nov 2016 5:07 pm
MKumar

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Tailgate is intermittent

Some great guidance on here, but a question before I plan to fix.

My issue is intermittent, if the cable has slipped or broken then I would assume it wouldn't work at all.

Anyone have any suggestions if it will still be my cable, or should I investigate something further?

Thanks in advance

Post #174863514th Dec 2016 8:55 am
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had the dreaded stuck upper tailgate problem

The actuator was working fine, but the L hook had snapped.

I used a brick bolster to leaver up the plastic trim and a small hooked piece of steel to pull the carpet wall
Out from under the trim, once the first bit of wall was out, I used a tyre leaver to keep the gap open, then I worked my way along the wall to have it fully open.

I used a tennis ball to create enough space to get my hand in, Note this photo is after I had unlocked both the upper and lower tailgate

When you have access you need to enter your right hand, with the palm facing to the back of the car. Push the plastic cover of the actuator and feel for end of the cable, once found you need to point the cable upwards into a vertical position so you can reach in with some long nose pliers and gently pull to release the upper tail gate lock. The picture is not great, but if you zoom in, you can see the snapped cable near my thumb

The next picture is with the actuator removed and the position that I had to get the end of the cable into
So i could reach with pliers

I hope this helps people, it took about 15 minutes to release the tailgate

Post #176606920th Jan 2017 2:29 am
conman69

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Unable to lock tail gate

I've seem to have a different problem with my tailgate. Big Cry

I cannot lock it, when closing the tailgate it won't latch and bounces back, I lean on it when locking the motor and get the horn sound telling me something is wrong. The rest of the vehicle locks and the alarm sounds if I try and open the tailgate.

I have removed everything to have a closer look, when the vehicle is locked the latch doesn't operate. I have to manually put the latch into the lock position and when I depress the upper tailgate button to open the latch it moves as it should.

Any suggestions readily welcome Thumbs Up

Do I require a new latch or is this electrical issue?

TIA Thumbs Up
 Discovery3 TDV6 GS
Disco3.co.uk front orange +white tailgate stickers
Belts, pulleys, oil pump replaced, double tow-bar electrics
Land Rover rubber mats throughout, tinted windows, wind deflectors, smoked side repeaters, retro fitted Garmin, smooth leather steering wheel, cruise control + radio switches, 19" HSE wheels, Bearmech side-tubes, BAS IFBH module, roofbars.
LML Star Deluxe 

Post #180465217th Apr 2017 7:07 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Me too

tayaste wrote:
Shocked I'm always getting out and closing my door behind me with the engine left running Confused

But key in, engine running drivers door closed its never locked me out....(maybe I should say yet)
Mines an HSE with (I think) more options on locking - but I've never really explored or asked about other D3 models.
What model variation do you have ?

Conman 69....dependant on your D3 vintage & whether the UT switch has ingressed moisture....which they all seem to do.
I have replaced the top rear hatch latch as the switch became intermittent.....sluggish.
Easy task even though some of fasteners goosed.....usual hand tools.
To get mine off I just broke sections of the plastic away carefully till I got to the moulded in plastic nuts with some needle nosed vice-grips. New switch from dealer.
I dosed the new switch in RS brand electrical moisture repellant spray.

It might be a good idea to get a spare key blank cut & keep it in your wallet. I have.

With a good main battery charge....& both your remote keys with you I'd go through all the permutations...a check may show you at least one door motor not right. I only ever had one fail in the warranty period.
I only realised recently that the vehicle will relock if you don't enter the car.

I've just re-read all your tests....it's the dead-locking at fault....
Dead locking is where engine off, you outside D3 press remote locking button on key fob twice
It gives the condition that none of the interior door handles or lock latches do anything. Dead locked.

I gave some hours spare tomorrow I'll re-read my handbook....
Have you a local independant you can ask ? Before you hack your D3 in bits. Always the last resort.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #180474317th Apr 2017 9:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >