Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Discovery 4 Sat Nav issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dazzer34

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 Sat Nav issues

Hi
Everyone I have been searching everywhere and cannot find the answer so this is my last stop

I have a 2011 D4 with the standard stereo system and bout a discovery 4 sat nav hoping I can just plug it in and set it up with my IID tool but the connections are different

My question is has anyone fitted a discovery 4 sat nav to replace the standard stereo if so how did you do it.

Thanks

Post #224180014th Jul 2021 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Realistically even after all the work involved whats the point . You are carrying better satnav thats constantly updated in your pocket. Over the next few years manufacturers will stop fitting dedicated Sat nav systems in favour of mobile phone based apps putting themselves on the screen . A prime example being the new Ineos grenadier when it arrives only having AA or ACP options for in car Sat Nav

Post #224181915th Jul 2021 6:43 am
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

absolutely 1000% agree, why on earth anyone would use the awful LR satnav is beyond me. I have a 2014 D4 - the satnav is (considerably) worse than the Tomtom I had 15 years ago.

iphone google maps every time, voice controlled by siri, nice brodit dash mount.

All it will cost you is the price of the dashmount.

Don't waste your money folks! The D4 will surely need it for something else more important soon!
 2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #224182415th Jul 2021 7:51 am
Owen1183

England 

Sadly I feel you are right, however...........

Last year I was about to press the button on a shiny new L200 Barbarian X until on the tet drive I found it had only carplay or android auto for sat nav options...

As i am up a big hill in Scotland for half of the next year with zero phone signal it would render the system pointless and I'd have to consult an Atlas (However I couldn't find one in my local antique shops)

So I bought a Navara N-Guard instead with carplay, android auto AND a sat nav built in.... needless to say I can confidently ascend the hills that I intended....

Post #224184315th Jul 2021 10:42 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

So the Denso navigation display requires the orange optical fibre bus.

I don't think the standard headunit has such an output ?

Post #224185415th Jul 2021 11:33 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Owen1183 wrote:
Sadly I feel you are right, however...........

Last year I was about to press the button on a shiny new L200 Barbarian X until on the tet drive I found it had only carplay or android auto for sat nav options...

As i am up a big hill in Scotland for half of the next year with zero phone signal it would render the system pointless and I'd have to consult an Atlas (However I couldn't find one in my local antique shops)

So I bought a Navara N-Guard instead with carplay, android auto AND a sat nav built in.... needless to say I can confidently ascend the hills that I intended....

Dont see the issue as you can download maps to your phone that makes it autonomous of phone signal in areas of poor reception. At least with Android and google maps you can! All behaves like a normal Sat Nav through Android Auto.

Post #224195116th Jul 2021 6:20 am
Owen1183

England 

So without a phone signal, how does the phone know where you are in relation to the map? does it have a GPS antenna built in?

Post #224199316th Jul 2021 11:14 am
popsdosh

of course they do ! you wont find many phones that havent. Not sure a phone trying to work out where it was by phone signal would be that accurate. Whats more it gives you positioning off the roads. There are many add on apps that exploit the GPS antena in a mobile phone.

Post #224224317th Jul 2021 8:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >