Discovery 4 oil fault lamp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
airscape1978

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 oil fault lamp

Hello everyone...

Just purchased a 2009 Discovery 4 3.0l and have a question:-

I tried to measure the oil level tonight and found out I have to wait at least half an hour before the level indicator would give me a reading, it just said not available for ages but then worked.

While trying to work out why the level indicator didn't work I looked through the manual for the oil warning light (Shaped like an oil can).

It says it should come on with the ignition on then go off when the engine starts, I guess its controlled by a pressure switch that turns the light off when oil pressure is sensed.

Anyway the light never comes on, with the engine off and ignition on and during ignition start up (as a lamp test).

Anyone else know if it should illuminate with the ignition on but the engine not running?

OR can someone turn on their ignition and see if the oil light illuminates before the engine is started?

Thanks

Post #118730513th Nov 2013 9:43 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Welcome!
The Dash Reading on the oil does take ages - I do mine every morning before start up (I know its cold, but at least I can see a consistent reading if that make sense)
No oil light on mine on start up (MY10) - but bear in mind, at that time the D4 was available in some versions with the previous 2.7 engine that did have a oil warning light and a manual dip-stick
As long as the reading is OK, I wouldnt worry
A lot of folk on here reckon the electronic dipstick is rubbish - personally I like it, allows a quick reading without opening the bonnet and IMO the old 2.7 dipstick was a pain to read

Post #118746114th Nov 2013 9:28 am
airscape1978

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Oil Lamp

Hello, and thanks for your reply - puts my mind at rest (my local landrover dealer didn't know!!!)

The manual must be wrong...

Yes - I agree its a good system, I guess it needs time to settle before giving a reading otherwise the reading could be missleading.

My friend has an old Discovery and we were discussing how these new cars will perform when 15 years old, lots of gadgets to go wrong unlike the older manual type cars.

I had a Range Rover sport 5 years ago but have to say the Discovery 4 is much better all round.

I do have a couple of niggles:-

1. The headlamps mist up, Landrover released a warranty paper on this that says this is normal and I have seen this on the new Audi R8 and a few other new cars, I am an air conditioning engineer and have looked at the light design which is poor and will give these problems of misting - a bad mistake made by many manufacturers which Is due to limited space between the reflector and front lamp screen causing the moisture to evaporate in the larger main headlight area then condense on the lower area where ventilation / air movement is restricted - this cold spot is created by cold air hitting the front screen and the limit space in these misting sections do not get heated by the main head lights.

Do you have this problem?

2. The rear parcel shelf does not have a handle on it???? so it slips out of your hand when you pull it over the boot area and the light colour gets easiliy marked by dirty hands - how on earth did someone miss that!!!

3. I have let the wife drive the car for work and she had a situation yesterday where the car would not start - I tried this morning and had the same problem - I think it was due to lack of vacuum on the brake assistnce causing the peddle not to be depressed enough, a good hard press sorted this out - once the car has started this doesnt happen (as I guess the vaccum has built back up) but left standing over night cause the vaccum assistance to reduce meaning its harder to initially push the peddle - ever had this occur?

One last point - I got spanked for the £450 pound special Autoglym finish, I never go for this sort of thing but the Range Rover I had before got bird droppings on the bonet and damaged the paintwork, but the salesman assured me this product will protect the paint from bird droppings and give a lifetime warranty should it damage the paint work - However, reading the warranty booklet I have just received it states that it does not cover 'Bird Droppings' and many other things you find outside - I contacted him and stated what he said and requested a refund, basically I have been miss sold a product - some chance though, wish I had recorded the conversation using my Iphone - but when dealing with these upmarket cars you would think you wouldn't get this BS...

Thanks again - never used a forum before but very impressed with it!!!

Post #118747514th Nov 2013 9:52 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
3. I have let the wife drive the car for work and she had a situation yesterday where the car would not start - I tried this morning and had the same problem - I think it was due to lack of vacuum on the brake assistnce causing the peddle not to be depressed enough, a good hard press sorted this out - once the car has started this doesnt happen (as I guess the vaccum has built back up) but left standing over night cause the vaccum assistance to reduce meaning its harder to initially push the peddle - ever had this occur?

This is a fault that you need to fix. The vacuum is a red herring as the problem is the sensitivity of the brake switch.

Brake switches are cheap and easy to replace (if you have the pedal in the correct position - your switch may have been installed incorrectly). Being able to brake slightly without the computers knowing about it can be an issue!

If you dry the inside headlights they do tend to stay dry for quite some time (ie more than a year). The airflow is only good enough to compensate for a small amount of water.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #118747914th Nov 2013 10:06 am
sjmw

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Loadspace cover handle retrofit

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic65070.h...andle+audi

Post #12132917th Jan 2014 1:04 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Airscape1978

"the salesman assured me this product will protect the paint from bird droppings and give a lifetime warranty should it damage the paint work - However, reading the warranty booklet I have just received it states that it does not cover 'Bird Droppings' and many other things you find outside - I contacted him and stated what he said and requested a refund, basically I have been miss sold a product - some chance though"

If the policy is underwritten by an insurance company write to the dealer saying you believe you were miss sold and request a refund, if they still refuse refer the matter to the Financail Ombusman Service, it costs you nothing but each case that goes as far as being reviewed by the Financail Ombudsman Service costs the insurer or broker (i.e. dealer) way more than the £450 refund.

However if the product is not isured, just complete an on line small claims court application again it costs you a small amount of money but the will cost the dealer more than the £450 refund to defend the action (most cases are settled very quickly).

PM me if you need help. Thumbs Up
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #12133227th Jan 2014 2:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >