DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Discovering a remap.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Discovering a remap.

Just a question, but can dealers or other bodies identify a remap on a car by interrogating the ECU etc?

Post #7242031st Dec 2010 10:47 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

D3 or D4? Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7242872nd Dec 2010 12:57 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

i have left me disco with stealers with a map applied and with default one never heard anything from them
I think they do not bother looking

Post #7242882nd Dec 2010 1:21 am
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I think the issue is the map being over written if the dealer carries out a routine software update.
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #7242942nd Dec 2010 4:02 am
caverD3

I don't think they look but if they update the software it will overwrite the re-map.
With the D4 I believe the IDS automatically re-sets everything to the original spec.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7242982nd Dec 2010 5:48 am
grzesiul

if they do overwrite while updating no worries using BAS will write it to the ECU in 3 min again
Whistle

Post #7243502nd Dec 2010 10:33 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

grzesiul wrote:
if they do overwrite while updating no worries using BAS will write it to the ECU in 3 min again
Whistle

If your D3 goes to the stealers and you revert it to standard via the box its no problem, if you forget then they will flash the ECU with updates, you can then reapply the tune afterwards.

The only problem with BAS remaps is that when they flash the ECU with updates, and you change to tune after, all the updates are lost cos none of them are on the Box in Standard/Tune form

Post #7243522nd Dec 2010 10:36 am
caverD3

I think Superchips Bluefin will hold the old map and check what is there before applying.
But their 3.0L remap has to done with their reps kit.

Looks like it might give power and torque earlier:

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/RR30TDV6.pdf
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #7243572nd Dec 2010 10:46 am
grzesiul

than solution no2 write updated setup onto the BAS box send to Pete to mend it job done in a few hours
no worries

Post #7243672nd Dec 2010 11:05 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think I'll give Pete a call. I'm having a BAS remap and now wondering whether to buy the magic box so I always have a copy.

Post #7244712nd Dec 2010 2:38 pm
MacLeod 313

The Remap comes with the Majic Box

He sends you the Kit once paid, then you use the kit to read your ECU, then send it via the PC for Pete to modify...Easy Thumbs Up

Post #7244822nd Dec 2010 3:12 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

MacLeod 313 wrote:
grzesiul wrote:
Whistle

If your D3 goes to the stealers and you revert it to standard via the box its no problem, if you forget then they will flash the ECU with updates, you can then reapply the tune afterwards.

The only problem with BAS remaps is that when they flash the ECU with updates, and you change to tune after, all the updates are lost cos none of them are on the Box in Standard/Tune form

How about keeping copies of old maps, when its updated - download the update and then send both to Pete explaining what you need coying across to the new one - that would then give the new software update with the tune you want?

Post #7245832nd Dec 2010 5:55 pm
MacLeod 313

You do, you still keep the original copy in the BAS tuning Module along with Pete's apt naming of "Enjoy" mode. Its advisable always to revert it to keep the module in the D3 incase of Breakdown or Dealership visit, only so you can put into Standard (you know any excuse the dealers need).

When its in they will always reflash the ECU therefore you have the enhancements, but will loose them if you dont save them.

Now I dont know Pete's position on copying AGAIN, and rewriting......But if everybody did so I guess Pete will be a Busy man..

Best bet is to find a man with a Faultmate that gets the updates too, then you can have both worlds without the need to ask Pete Bell Wink

Post #7246022nd Dec 2010 6:35 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

In my experience, the IDS does not automatically update any ECU's flash contents, nor does a dealer update them, unless in the process of trying to rectify a reported problem. The same goes for the CCF.

In this thread the engine management is singled out, but if an IDS were to automatically update this, then why only this flash programmable ECU and none of the other possible 20 flashable ECU's in the vehicle. Rolling Eyes

To reprogram even half of them would tie up the dealers IDS and a technician for several hours, and logistically and financially this is just not viable. Imagining it happens as part of a service is just wishful thinking.

Worse still, changes in the IDS over the last year have made flashing an ECU even harder to do, even if the dealer wanted to.

The earlier IDS software used to give an option for each ECU that allowed the ECU to be reflashed, even with the same software it already had if no later one were availiable.

However later IDS software uses a symptom based diagnostic approach that does not present this option unless a symptom is reported that LR decide via their on line problem to solution database, might be solved by updating the ECU.

Regards the need or desire to keep a copy of the dealers standard but now updated EMS contents, i can see the thought process, and as Mac states. it is a bit different on an MSV-2 over a BAS BOX as the MSV-2 has the unique capability to update an ECU to the any standard version, be it the very latest version or anything before.
You cannot always go right back to a production version though if the files are no longer availiable.

It also has the capability to keep and save existing contents, which is useful for a vehicles EMS that already has something special or different in it as well as the ability to program in anything up to 10 Custom Remaps supplied by Pete. Thumbs Up

Frankly i would not worry about the few improvement bread crumbs that LR provides in its standard updates, a BAS remap is just a whole new level. Bow down

Post #7246422nd Dec 2010 7:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

In answer to the OP's question, I am obviously well familiar with the IDS, How the ECU's work, flashing ECU's and Remaps.

I currently know of no way to detect that a Remap is programmed in with the dealers IDS, and otherwise would say it would pose quite a problem for us to produce anything that could.

However, despite having any ability to physically prove it, the difference between the performance of a standard over remapped in driving is pretty hard to miss. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #7246552nd Dec 2010 7:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >