Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Disco 4 steering wheel has a mind of its own
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

John, when the steering wheel goes crazy, does the fluid reservoir look like it needs topping up ? It is important to keep an eye on the fluid level, and top it up, when bleeding it, and when it goes crazy. I would have thought that ‘craziness’ would settle down once enough fluid is in the system, and the air is expelled. If you started the engine whilst steering wheel was held over to full lock, would it still go crazy, and be uncontrollable ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #235180230th Oct 2023 6:37 pm
johnlong

United Kingdom 

Hi again DN on my first attempts to bleed the p/s system the res fluid level never moved down once, which is why I disassemble the two pipes thinking there maybe blockage or kink in one of the pipes as mentioned before they were both A1, the wheels were always in the dead centre position (or straight ahead to be more clear), I have to turn the engine off quickly because the steering wheel shakes and vibrates along with turning left and right so badly I’m worried the air bag might go off, if tomorrow I get a repeat performance of the steering wheel issue I will take short video of it with my phone and try and see if I can upload it to the site.

Post #235183130th Oct 2023 11:16 pm
johnlong

United Kingdom 

Brief update bit disappointing the guy I was waiting on this afternoon to give me an hand turned out to be a no show, tried phoning him but he had turned his phone off shame really I was hoping to hear his opinion about the p/s issues I was having, give it another go tomorrow problem is there is a ton of rain dew here tomorrow.
Funny thing I was watching a youtube video earlier there was a chap with a range rover Evoque 2014, with electric power steering rack showing you when he turned sharp left or right the car was trying to take control of the steering (similar to my problem), this is when the car is actually moving along turn out to be a wiring cable problem

Post #235194231st Oct 2023 11:35 pm
johnlong

United Kingdom 

Another update if you have been following my earlier posts you will know this is my second attempt to bleed out the air on my p/s system, toped up the reservoir with the wheels jacked up I began to manually turn the S/wheel lock to lock about three times, then checked the res fluid it had gone down about 12mm then repeated the lock to lock 3 times again, no joy the fluid level remained the same from here on, then try to bleed the system lock to lock with the engine running same problem as before as soon as the engine starts the steering wheel go’s into an uncontrollable frenzy, my only conclusion is there must be an air lock in the steering rack itself any other ideas I’m all ears, does anybody know how to upload a short mp4 video from my pc which I took of the steering wheel having a mental when I start the engine, I notice there is a function to upload a single photo which is not going to show you the full extent of what’s going on.

Post #23520461st Nov 2023 10:21 pm
johnlong

United Kingdom 

Probably the last update this afternoon I tried some different ways to bleed the s/rack, not joy so I have to admit defeat then there is another problem as the car is it’s totally unsteer able and parked on my drive so how am I going to get it onto the main road so a transporter can pick it up, the only answer is drain the res and s/rack like it was when I drove it home although difficult I did have some control, odd thing is now the fluid is drained I can now start the engine and the steering wheel behaves normally (obviously heavy to steer) any ideas on this one.
Another odd one with res toped up etc and the wheels +s/wheel dead straight ahead I could start the engine and no prob’s with the s/wheel, but as soon as I move the s/wheel more than 20mm left or right it would start moving on it’s own again?

Post #23521673rd Nov 2023 5:38 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

sounds like you might have destroyed the pump if you drove it with no fluid in it
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #23521723rd Nov 2023 6:22 pm
johnlong

United Kingdom 

Hi again I’m here with the final conclusion Iwas informed the power steering rack was faulty, apparently inside the rack there is a rotary or main control valve that had gone bad, so replaced the whole p/s/r and alls fine again done about 30 miles so far with no prob’s, the original pump itself appears ok but I had thought about changing that as well, till I saw there’s a bracket on the back of the disco 4 pump with a 10mm bolt holding the bracket to the engine, very very difficult to access if anybody knows how to get the bolt out without doing a major strip down of the engine bay let me know. Thanks to the members that showed interest and tried to resolve the problems I was having

Post #235427527th Nov 2023 11:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >