Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 3.0 "Restricted Performance" P0033
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ZKEHY

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
D4 3.0 "Restricted Performance" P0033

Hi guys, first time posting on this forum, have done a search of the net but haven't found anything. Occasionally on my 2009 D4 3.0 (106,000km, 66,000mi) I get a "Restricted Performance" warning with the red triangle. It's clear this disables the secondary turbo as high end power is lost but low end is fine (i.e. can still do 100kph easy). Turning the car off, allowing everything to shut down and then restarting will clear it for awhile but eventually it will come back. With the light not on everything seems fine. So I had the codes read today and the main one that come up was P0033-00 (28) - Turbocharger Bypass Valve Control - Circuit Open.

So does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Cheers

Post #142919519th Feb 2015 7:29 am
ZKEHY

For anyone who might be following this, I've yet to find a solution, however I will be replacing the turbo control solenoid soon in this hope this will.

Post #14360142nd Mar 2015 1:36 pm
ZKEHY

PS. That's part number LR021929. All my symptoms seem to lead to this.

Post #14360172nd Mar 2015 1:37 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you made sure that both turbo's actuator rods are free to move,this error can pop up if they are sticking.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #14360262nd Mar 2015 1:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: D4 3.0 "Restricted Performance" P0033

ZKEHY wrote:
So I had the codes read today and the main one that come up was P0033-00 (28) - Turbocharger Bypass Valve Control - Circuit Open.

So does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Cheers

Fault codes that refer to a circuit tend to be electrical issues, inspect the harness and wiring and if possible and safe to do so attempt to move the harness and connectors with the engine running, the fault may present itself again.
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #14360602nd Mar 2015 3:19 pm
jonnyotter

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

ZKEHY wrote:
For anyone who might be following this, I've yet to find a solution, however I will be replacing the turbo control solenoid soon in this hope this will.

Hi ZKEHY, Did this solution work? Had the same issue bar the restricted performance warning.

Background: Recently replaced the Inlet manifolds both sides myself. Its been running with nothing on the dash for over a month, however not running as smooth as i would like on some occasions at mid low revs.

No leaks, no smoke, so ran an IID tool check and came up with only that error code (in the engine area).

Based in Sweden and being hit by Brexit guff adn ridiculous tax every time i ship parts over Im wondering if it is really the solenoid or something else.

As you found, nothing much help on the web so found this thread and very interested to know if replacing the solenoid sorted your issue.

Thanks in advance for the reply! Thumbs Up

Post #22283355th May 2021 7:23 am
ZKEHY

Ahhhh what a memory, the old restricted performance... this car is long gone now but the issue did get resolved. It got progressively worse and worse (more frequent) until I found a really good Land Rover mechanic who ended up taking the inlet tract apart and giving it a good old soak and clean, apparently it was pretty dirty. This was many years ago now so I don't remember the specifics of what exact parts of the inlet tract were disassembled. It cost Censored all so it must have been the easily accessible bits and no new parts required.

As an interesting side note, the error would never occur at 16c and below or 32c and above. I could literally drive perferctly normally for hours and hours on end (Australia) then as the day would end and outside temps dropped, within minutes of dropping into that range, it would pop up and performance was gone.

Post #22284936th May 2021 1:25 am
jonnyotter

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

haha, Fair enough nothing like finding an old thread to re live old nightmares so apologies!. Yes ive done the same and given a thorough cleaning, especially MAFs and MAP, and no warning for a long while now.

Yet still throws up the P0033-00 (2F) turbo charger/supercharger bypass valve control - circuit open. When you replaced the solenoid, did that improve the situation?

Thanks again!

Post #22285706th May 2021 11:40 am
ZKEHY

No worries! Changing the solenoid made no difference. In fact I think I ended up putting the original back on... Digging up the old thread just makes me miss the car haha, sometimes I wonder where it is now and how it's travelling. By the time I'd sold it, it had another 80,000km from when I first started this thread

Post #22286656th May 2021 8:14 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

My D4 has a strange issue, I get the restricted performance and red triangle, no noise and no loss of power. It normally happens within about half an hour drive, it is in the dealer now and I've been told it is the turbo air shut off valve.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #22560458th Oct 2021 4:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >