Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Is crank failure so "crystal clear"?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndyButch

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Is crank failure so "crystal clear"?

Having listed to this guys reasoning on diluted oil caused by failure of active regen and "driving style"
I wondered if the enlightened brethren here might have an opinion.
?si=g78sviKBGkT5EUDi

I know the advice is more regular oil changes and maybe even 5w/40 but some people (me included touch wood) have been remarkably lucky with their D3/4, is it just luck or does the driving style matter?

If so, is there any way of telling if active DPF regen is working successfully as/when required or failing part way leading to fuel in the engine.

Or is it all just nonsense? Laughing
 1978 Series 3 88 Military Green (Gone)
1983 110 V8 Masai Red (Gone)
1997 Discovery 1 XS Cobalt Blue (Gone)
1999 Defender 110 TD5 Safari Epsom Green (Gone)
2001 Freelander Sport Buckingham Blue (Gone)
2016 Discovery 4 Landmark Yulong White "Larry" (Written off)
2015 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Corris Grey "Sol" 

Post #236181812th Feb 2024 1:33 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

1st off always treat internet report with some degree of caution. People only post when they have an issue to pass on. What you cannot evaluate is how many have NOT had the issue in comparison. There is an engine reconditioning company near me and they have seen a number of these so there is a problem but even they can't know how many owners don't call on them.

What they could possibly tell us (if they recorded the information) is how many are in automatics vs manual gearboxes as the former are less likely to stress the engine. Of those that call on their services do off roading, cover significant mileages at higher speeds, tow trailers or only drive around town all could have a bearing.

Then when it happens who would have submitted their oil for analysis to identify dilution? Not many and possibly only as part of a warranty claim but LR are not going to tell.

On this I am curious as to how much oil remains in the sump after using the suction drain point? Mine at 93000 miles has had all its services done by LR approved workshops but does that mean it has never has a full oil change? The handbook quotes 5.9l for an oil and filter change but what is its capacity from dry? In other words how diluted is it even after an oil change?

The fact is you cannot possibly know what the statistical probability of a failure is because there are too many variables. As advised on here service it regularly, use good quality consumables and if you need to reduce the stress or the worry take out AA/RAC/Green Flag/Mayday cover and enjoy what is a peerless machine.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #236186112th Feb 2024 8:04 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The suction method of emptying the sump gives a better removal of the oil from the sump . The plug is not at the bottom of the sump and there is some oil left by this wereas the suction method is complete. Dont know why all the theories abound about it when it is proven that it likely a caused by a weakness in the crank and that it is just a lottery if yours goes.

Post #236189213th Feb 2024 9:16 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

@popsdosh, Thank you for the education.

On the SCV6, even after using the vacuum extraction process, there are a few ounces that will pour from the drain hole. So I flip back and forth between the two methods every 5000kms.

The engines of today are far more efficient, with exacting tolerances over those of yesteryear. And even though fluids are of better quality too, think of the many materials used in construction beyond the cast iron of yesterday. So, I’m with many of you; change the fluids regularly and these “failures” will be lessened.

And you are entirely right… anyone with something to say may post it today. But the true measure is accessing a properly maintained knowledge base. For some peculiar reason, rumor, innuendo and someone’s experience (without knowing the history or mitigating circumstances) has become a source of truth and reference. It’s disturbing, really.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #236190913th Feb 2024 12:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >