Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

clunk clunk clunk from drivetrain in reverse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bwall027

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
clunk clunk clunk from drivetrain in reverse

having just replacing an unrepairable epb and compressor, plus needing to do cambelt, the last thing I needed was something else which sounds expensive to go wrong Sad .....

when reversing, I have a loud regular 'clank, clank clank' - a regular noise in time with propshaft revolving. It sounds similar to a knackered CV joint, but I don't think it is given seems to more be coming from front or rear propshaft/transfer box area and it seems to make no difference if the steering wheel is turned or not.
I actually had it roughly a year ago, but it mysteriously went away after I did a bit of fiddling when trying to work out what it was, it's a lot worse now however.

I have changed diff and transfer box oils and there was no sign of unwanted metal fragments in the oil.

it only does it under load, if you coast backwards there is nothing. It occasionally will make the same noise in a forward gear at low speed, but not so loud.

I also have the constant whirr of a bearing that's failing but has not gotten any worse over 12 months plus, I suspected a wheel bearing (there's no play) but it could be a symptom of the same problem.

the car is an 07MY, manual and has done 89K.

any thoughts other than systematically replacing diff, transfer box, driveshafts, propshafts - obviously a list of rather expensive items to try out!

thanks

Post #121511810th Jan 2014 1:47 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Have a look at the centre bearing on the rear propshaft. It is quite common for the rubber bit to part ways with the rest of the shaft leaving a propshaft which can flex in the centre. Might not be the cause of your noise but it costs nothing to check
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #121512310th Jan 2014 1:50 pm
bwall027

thanks Nighthawk

I did have a look at the propshaft bearing when I had heat shield off changing the EPB just before Christmas. There was what seemed a lot of play in the rubber, but otherwise looked ok.

I do have a little fore/aft play in the front propshaft but that 'feels' as though it should be normal?

cheers

Post #121515310th Jan 2014 2:46 pm
bwall027

FIXED - replaced front propshaft

in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue in future... this was the bearing joint in the transfer box end of the front prop shaft, which had dried out due to a hole in the rubber boot, which was not visible until removing the prop shaft from the vehicle (when the coupling fell to pieces!) - there is a large 6 ball cage bearing inside.

Incidentally, the easiest way to get the prop shaft in/out was over the cross member by undoing the transfer box mount and jacking up the gearbox/transfer box, then squeeze it between the transfer box casing and exhaust bracket.

Also, in regard to separating the prop shaft from the diff / transfer box once the bolts were removed... Assuming you have a replacement shaft and can therefore afford to damage the existing one (although it doesn't take much) I found the easiest way to do so was to gently tap the coupling hub out of the shallow sleeve on the transfer box/diff mounting using a chisel and mallet - do a little one side, then rotate the shaft 180 degrees and tap out the other side, should come out quite easy and not need much force.

Post #122498527th Jan 2014 2:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >