DISCO3.CO.UK > FS: Parts & Accessories

Buying warning including PayPal Gift
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Buying warning including PayPal Gift

I have had a few reports of new users popping up on the forums offering parts via PM at prices that are too good to be true, and these parts never arriving once sold, and the user ignoring PMs and emails chasing them up.

This looks at face value like fraud/theft, so I have put together the following online purchase safety message.

When considering purchasing items from a forum member the following are absolutely essential:

1) Check the user's posting history. Have they only just registered and have very few posts to their name? They may have done this simply to get access to the PM system.

2) Get contact details from the seller, phone number (ideally not a mobile/cell phone), address. Simply having an email address at a provider such as Gmail or Hotmail and an account on a forum is not sufficient information to chase up any issues.

3) NEVER EVER pay via PayPal gift. If anything goes wrong you have no way of getting your money back. Reputable sellers will agree to pay the fees if they really want to sell you an item, and you then have PayPal on your side should anything go wrong. A gift payment is exactly that, a payment you can never get back should there be a dispute. A bank transfer is similarly risky as it is generally one-way only.

4) Consider the possibility that something could go wrong, even if the seller is genuine (such as items going missing in the post). What information do you need to be able to sort it out?

Be very, very careful about who you trust. Membership here is free and open and unlike a paid-for club there is no list of member's contact details to fall back on should there be an issue.

I cannot stress enough just how dangerous PayPal Gift payment is. DO NOT SEND MONEY BY PAYPAL GIFT. You have absolutely no comeback at all should anything go wrong. It is against PayPal's terms and conditions to sell goods and use PayPal gift for this very reason and I cannot understand why PayPal continue to offer it, giving it is used so fradulently.

I hope the above helps out and prevents members having money stolen but unscrupulous persons using the forum.

Any information anyone has about members who have been operating similarly to the above would be very welcome - please PM me.

Martin
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #122491227th Jan 2014 12:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DavidSally

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Very good info. Thanks Martin

Post #122491527th Jan 2014 12:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcsimmo

Scotland 

Thumbs Up
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #122491727th Jan 2014 12:17 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up good advice,

i would add if you see somebody trying to sell an item through the forum, have they fulfilled the criteria to be able to sell on here, if you're not sure check and get familiar with the "for sale/wanted" rules that Martin has put on, if you see anything suspicious, don't buy anything but report...they're there to protect us
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #122520627th Jan 2014 6:47 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have to be honest, I see everyone here as 'Friends and family', as do others.... so is that good or bad? I believe we are trusted supporters and it's an easy way of transacting that doesn't involve bank transfers.
I'm sure this will open up the debate further...
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #122522527th Jan 2014 7:07 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

What I've always done even with people I trust is go on to a paypal calculator and work out how much I would have to pay for a seller to get what they want They will get the same result as a paypal gift and you will be protected.

Martin, I'm sure I've seen adverts on here that request Paypal Gift I assume that is not acceptable?

Post #122523227th Jan 2014 7:13 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bought and sold on here ... Thumbs Up

All v good prompt payments and deliveries Rolling Eyes

The odd one that I queried .... Whistle they didn't get back via PM ............ enough said Rolling Eyes
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #122527627th Jan 2014 7:41 pm
steve smith

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Top man Martin Thumbs Up
 Steve  
Post #122542727th Jan 2014 9:49 pm
Leo Disco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Paypal gift and item has not turned up, nearly 3 weeks

i think i have this issue. A member on here sent me a message for an item, quoted a price and asked from payment via Paypal gift. After loads of emails he said he had posted it but nothing ever turned up and he will not reply to emails.
I am waiting to the end of this week which will be over three weeks since payment before taking it further. Everyone is traceable via their email address, Paypal account ect.

But yes like you say ask for a picture and dont pay by Paypal gift.

Rich

Post #122548127th Jan 2014 10:41 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bodsy wrote:
Have to be honest, I see everyone here as 'Friends and family', as do others.... so is that good or bad? I believe we are trusted supporters and it's an easy way of transacting that doesn't involve bank transfers.

With you Bodsy, we are all adults and can make the choice.

I use the to friends and family but only really with sponsors, supporters or people I have a good knowledge of

I often ask people to do the same for me to save fees, but it's a trust issue and you have to take that view, I for one sill continue to use it as I'm sure many I have sent too and received money from will.

Weigh up the risk , do you trust the member, if so Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #122549927th Jan 2014 11:05 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

So I would think long and hard about sending money as a gift through PayPal.....as an example, if it's somebody like Beanie then I wouldn't hesitate based on his reputation on here ( and have done so already to him ). It all down to weighing up everything before making the decision.
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #122550527th Jan 2014 11:11 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bodsy wrote:

I agree with Bodsy and beanie, its down to trust and how you feel about members ,

A point to mention I had dealings with SIB from the forum , can't say enough what a great guy to deal with iv'e never met Simon only chatted on here and spoke on the phone.
Sent a set of wheel arches ,I got courier to collect them of him wouldn't take payment till I had them and was happy ...over the moon paid Thumbs Up

Post #122596028th Jan 2014 6:10 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Martin, can you publish the offending paypal addresses, in case they pop up again under different user names ?
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #122596428th Jan 2014 6:12 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

This is all about trust. If you totally 100% trust someone, then that's up to you. My advice is not to given the risks involved (i.e. never seeing your money again) but you can and will ignore me Wink

Post #122596628th Jan 2014 6:14 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

The problem is that the person who operated on Freel2 used a number of different email addresses (all Gmail), so this is going to be no guarantee of safety.

Post #122596828th Jan 2014 6:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >