Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

adaptive xenons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pjw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
adaptive xenons

would like to have ordered these when i got my new D4 HSE but ordered last Sept and didnt like the £900 price and didnt realise at the time it was incorrect, Is it possible and straight forward to change them over or given my skills (or lack of them) get the dealer to do this and how expensive would that be, any ideas anyone?? very annoying in hindsight..... thanks in advance

Post #6129772nd Mar 2010 12:37 pm
chidd

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I would be interested to know the answer to this as well. I assumed they were a gimmick, but after reading all the positive comments am kicking myself slightly...
 2010 D4 HSE
2013 Range Rover Evoque Prestige
2014 Discovery HSE (on order) 

Post #6130472nd Mar 2010 2:23 pm
X1/9

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would also be interested to know if this is possible, I had to take a stock vehicle when I ordered my Disco 4 HSE last September. Having had them as standard on my D3 I find the lights on the new one to be poor by comparison.
That said I think that the D4 is a big improvement and have now driven 6000 trouble free miles. I maybe should not have said that as it will probably breakdown next time I go out!

Post #6149615th Mar 2010 12:46 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Like many other questions relating to upgrades, nothing is impossible, but this would not simply be a plug and play excercise and should probably be considered a non-starter.

Post #6150435th Mar 2010 10:20 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

X1/9 wrote:
... I find the lights on the new one to be poor by comparison.

Is this on low or high beam? If high beam, the poorer light could be that the halogen high beams appear to be way out of alignment with the bi-xenons and point up into tree-tops.

Post #6151285th Mar 2010 12:12 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again but I really do not think that the halogen main beams are misaligned, what I see up in the trees is a corona from the lens and the main light goes down the road ahead, I have put a piece of card over the xenon to see the beam pattern against a wall and it looks normal to me for a high beam.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6153655th Mar 2010 4:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

Nothing wrong with the alignment on mine - the D4 lights are better than the D3, that's for sure.

Post #6153755th Mar 2010 4:34 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Absolutely!!
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6154155th Mar 2010 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Therefore the fault in mine and several other Oz vehicles must be due to a different batch of lights, as there's no chance that its any corona effect. My dealer has confirmed that my halogens point skywards as seen when parked only 2 metres from a wall.

Post #6155515th Mar 2010 9:08 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Are the dipped beam lamps aligned ok?

Post #6156575th Mar 2010 11:01 pm
GraemeS

Dipped beams are once again correctly aligned after a dealer techo adjusted them way, way down to just in front of the vehicle to try to set the halogens to a useable height, although the halogens were still lighting the tree trunks rather than the ground.

Post #6156705th Mar 2010 11:18 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

You're onto a loser with the advice your dealer is giving you, I fear.

There is no independent adjustment to the halogen infills. The headlamp unit is just that, a unit. If you drop the unit, you drop the xenons, and they will be out of alignment. The halogens are "infill" lights....take the bulbs out, use the xenons on full beam and you will see that you are making a fuss about nothing. The halogen lights are designed to throw a wider pattern, the main lighting comes from the projector lens main beam.

Yes, they throw a different beam pattern to the D3, but they are also vastly improved on already excellent lights on the D3 (xenons, I mean in that context).

By adjusting the units down to make the halogen appear to work as you want it, and it is not designed, you are substantially reducing the effectiveness of the important element of the headlamp unit.

Post #6156765th Mar 2010 11:25 pm
GraemeS

I know there is no independent adjustment. I argued with one of the techos (don't know if he was the one who did the adjustment) that I needed the low-beam to be correct and also that the bi-xenon main beam was far superior to the halogen spread beam so I needed the bi-xenons to be adjusted correctly. It was after workshop closing time, he argued that setting by the high beam was the correct procedure and he wasn't prepared to do a proper headlight aim adjustment with IDS as he said IDS was required. He also argued that the bi-xenons will auto-adjust once driving as they were self-adjusting, which I knew was incorrect. He was talking so much rubbish and I was getting nowhere. I had no alternative but to drive 400 kms after dark with a constant trickle of oncoming traffic thus requiring low beam almost all they way because I didn't have my toolbox with me.

I have installed additional lights because of no spread from the bi-xenons but would like the halogens pointing down from the tree-tops because they have better spread than my extra lights.

I have pics of 1 halogen showing that the globe distinctly points downwards compared with the halogen reflector, which I am in the process of re-acquainting myself as to how to show here. The downwards pointing globe will project the beam upwards which I think is the cause of the problem, in which case I feel there has been a manufacturing fault with the globe mounting socket of the reflector.

Post #6157046th Mar 2010 12:55 am
GraemeS

These pics show that the globe is not aligned with the reflector but pointing downwards substantially. The camera and my line of sight were pointing up above horizontal by a significant amount to take the pic looking directly at the globe and about horizontal when taking the pic looking directly at the reflector. The reflector appears to be about correct but the globe does not. I am disregarding the non-adjustable surround. However with the halogens pointing where they should perhaps both the reflector and globe would look to be correct.

I do entertain the possible alternatives that the bi-xenon mounting is incorrect or probably more likely that the bi-xenon assembly has been incorrectly assembled/manufactured because it has more components.

Post #6157256th Mar 2010 1:28 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

So difficult to tell from a picture, but perhaps your only option is to have the dealer try a different unit in the rogue one, and see if it makes a difference.

The tech was perhaps referring to headlamp levelling, which is automatic. Alignment doesn't, as far as I know, require IDS, but does require alignment equipment. They should do that first, to ensure the xenons are correctly aligned, and then address the halogens.

No fun if you are miles from a dealer, I understand.

Post #6157946th Mar 2010 10:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >