DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

3 days old. 2 weeks on- suspension collapse, Blow out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
dgh1000

DG wrote:
dgh1000 wrote:
The car didn't say stop

Sorry .....all personal circumstances aside ....should you be in possesion of a driving licence ? Rolling Eyes

Given I've had twenty years of accident free motoring driving about 350000 miles I'd say When my 3 year isn't in hospital Im safe enough. Under normal circumstances I don't take risks and this time thought that stopping by the side of a snow filled motorway waiting to get hit by an artic was more dangerous than continuing 1/2 mile to the exit. In hindsight I know this was the wrong descision. The worse drivers are the ones that don't think they make mistakes.

I think you should rethink your title of moderator you aren't really very moderate.

Post #7238011st Dec 2010 12:53 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm here to moderate you ...not the other way around Laughing Wink .....I'm sure though that there are many people on here that would offer an appropriate alternative title for me. Whistle

It was just an observation TBH.. harsh in some eyes maybe...I guess what I'm trying to say in a rather direct way is that sometimes you just have to use human senses rather than relying on a machine to tell you when to do something. No hard feelings Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7238121st Dec 2010 1:19 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Have to say that I am with DG on this one. If I got a message of any sort regarding suspension, the first thing I would do is stop and at very least have a walk round the car to see if anything was obvious. If it wasn't I would then call LRA for advice and a Technicians Assistance.

The ONE thing I would NOT do EVER is try driving at 30mph on a motorway. This has a huge potential for causing an accident.

IMHO motorways should have a minimum speed limit as well as a maximum. I have seen many near miss incidents caused by some half-wit bimbling along at 45.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #7240161st Dec 2010 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

On a motorway with snow, 30mph is not a unreasonable speed. The police would much rather you left the motorway if possible then get out on the hard shoulder and start looking at your car, especially with only 1/2 a mile to go

The hard shoulder is a dangerous place for both the people on it and cars on the motorway.

I once got two flats on the motorway and the police suggested I drive off the motorway using the hard shoulder as I was within 3/4 miles of a junction as it would be much safer. So I did and into the motorway services.

Post #7240211st Dec 2010 6:36 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

dgh1000 wrote:
I'd say When my 3 year isn't in hospital Im safe enough.

I'm sorry for your son's illness/hospital time, however I'm asking myself if your a doctor with very special skills that you just HAD TO GET THERE INSTANTLY; would it have done your son any good if you was involved in any sort of accident for the sack the a minute or two on the hard shoulder just to visually check your car condition.
dont get me wrong I too have been in a hospital rush for family reasons, but I'm also aware of the need to complete my drive safely.(better to be by the bedside holding hands than in the next bed waiting for recovery)
I've been in a car driven by somebody that ignored the warning signs of a deflated tyre and we(5 adults) nearly had an accident from lack of control.(its NOT NICE feeling)

hope all is well with YOU and YOUR SON and I think I like DG even more now for spelling out a possible driver error in a very clear way.... Wink Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #7244172nd Dec 2010 1:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Popelka wrote:
and I think I like DG even more now ...Wink Thumbs Up

Oh er missis!! Where's the Group Hug emoticon??

Post #7244372nd Dec 2010 2:00 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

mwestcrew wrote:

IMHO motorways should have a minimum speed limit as well as a maximum. I have seen many near miss incidents caused by some half-wit bimbling along at 45.

Erm..... they do! It's 30mph. Sorry Sad

Steve
Professional raspberry
Ex-DSA approved instructor
RoSPA Diploma holder.

....and probably not very popular now ....sorry wasn't being a smart Censored . Just confirming that your thoughts are actually correct and the law ! Very Happy

Post #83889423rd Sep 2011 4:40 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

jojim65 wrote:
As a matter of interest, if you do get a total loss of tyre pressure does the suspension try to maintain the height of the other 3 tyres or simply drop to the height of the punctured tyre.

I would have thought that if it keeps the car level you might not even know you had a puncture at speed until you heard the tyre destroying itself....

The vehicle does seem to detect a very soft or flat tyre as something wrong, perhaps because 1 wheel is continuously at an odd height whilst the other wheels are at a steady height. On uneven ground the wheels are moving up and down but have an average height over time (eg 5 seconds) but a flat tyre makes that corner's suspension at a higher average height than the other corners so something has gone wrong.

I would have kept driving if it was less dangerous to do so than stop.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #83905223rd Sep 2011 9:11 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Graeme,
I think that the DSC detects the difference in rolling diameter between the NS & OS wheels as being an unstable condition. It gets confused and shuts down.

Best Wishes,
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #83911124th Sep 2011 12:45 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

If the rolling diameter was detected as being different it should be reported as a brake system fault - perhaps a steering angle sensor fault due to wheels rotating at different speeds yet not turning a corner. However I've come to the conclusion that wheel speed does not change significantly with a flat or soft tyre on a hard surface. The suspension ecu does plausibility checks on height sensor activity so it could easily detect that something was amiss, but wouldn't know for sure that a soft tyre that was the cause. Afterall, it was a suspension fault message that occurred.
 Home of LLAMS, for LRs and Jeep GCs  
Post #83911924th Sep 2011 3:50 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice way to treat a new guy on the forum Evil or Very Mad

He followed what it said. It is difficult to tell if you have slightly flat tyre with EAS unless you turn the DSC won't come on. Shouldn't cause it to drop to the bump stops though.
Let us know what the dealer says.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #83914524th Sep 2011 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >