Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

06 D3 potential issues (to buy or not to buy)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndreasG

Cyprus 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
06 D3 potential issues (to buy or not to buy)

Hello to all,

Long time Land Rover owner here and hopefully new Discovery 3 owner soon (depending on your feedback).

I’ve read a lot of threats on here getting myself acquainted with the various issues of the Disco 3’s but i wanted your more experienced opinions on a potential buy.

Its an 06 car 2.7 TDV6 HSE. Its a one owner car since import from the UK (12 years ago). Currently on 147k miles. Maintained and serviced regardless of cost (with the documentation to prove it). Most of the mileage has been covered on highway/motorway roads but the current owner owns a small-medium sized boat he used the car to tow. Timing belts have been done on time as the owner said. Turbo has been recently changed. The car doesn’t look that it has been off roading (it’s currently sitting on the original 19’ alloys with Michelin road tires). No fault indication on the dash either.

When I drove the car I checked both low gearing and terrain response worked with no faults. Temperature was steady all the way too. No wobbling or play and no weird sounds coming during standstill or driving either. Did not check air-conditioning or the heater but from what I’ve been reading there are no usual issues with those.

Bodywise its in a respectably good condition for its age, no issues there.

My mechanic, who specializes in LR, has had a look of the car (we both drove it on separate occasions)
and we both concluded to the following ‘potential’ issues:

Point 1. There is a noise coming from the air suspension compressor. It raises and lowers the car fine (although it took about 15 seconds or so to raise it from normal height to off road height. The air compressor noise is only heard when the car is rising and not at all during the duration of the drive. It’s a rattling sound as if a bearing has gone mostly. The current owners mechanic suggested that it just needs to be serviced (repair kit). The sound is heard from under the car. The car was softer on extended mode than in normal driving mode (not sure if this is the norm)

Point 2. Although the turbo has been recently changed (totally new one fitted-not repaired), there is a continuous whining noise heard (not whistling and does not sound like a cracked pipe). It sounds like the turbo but no sound at all when idling. There seems no lack of power at all and no smoke out the back of any kind. My mechanic insists that the turbo is about to blow but no other signs to indicate that. I have read a lot about the wastegates, the actuators and even that the a/c bearing/pulley can sound like a turbo whine if its going bad.

Point 3. When I drove the car I heard a ‘thud’ sound from the rear side of the car when abruptly pressing and releasing the gas pedal. (please have in mind that I currently drive an automatic 300 TDi so this might be me not used to the sensitivity of the throttle). Car is also fitted with the rear locking diff.

More importantly, I noticed a small initial vibration/trembling when accelerating from around 20miles for a very small amount of time and then it smooths out. The car does not do this when accelerating from standstill. Also quite interestingly, the car did not do this at all when my mechanic drove it a couple of days ago. It changes gears smoothly. Tested it in city road and a bit on the motorway. (the car was on running normal temperature when we both drove it). We didn’t check the central drive shaft mount (or bearing) thoroughly to be honest since the car did not present this symptom at the mechanic.

Having said all these, my main worries are the mileage (its definitely not low-and towing some of those miles) but car has indeed been maintained with high standards. Am I looking at potential catastrophic failures on gearbox/converter and turbo matters? Is there any way to further investigate for a more conclusive fault? If yes, what kind of cost am I looking at to fix the car and if by the symptoms I described how urgent are these matters (and need to be fixed)?

The asking price for the car is quite descent and I’m within range if I spent another 1000€ or so. (I reached out to current owner through a friend. The car was not put up for sale)

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated

(Apologies for the long post).

Post #221687311th Mar 2021 8:33 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Would have thought the thud could well be the centre prop mount as the rubber failing in it is a very common issue.
Also, if it's an HSE with rear a/c the pipes to the rear often fail through corrosion and either get replaced with non-metal pipes or the rear section gets blanked-off.
Not sure the suspension compressor noise is that out of the ordinary. Might just be that the sound insulation isn't in good form or the cover isn't fitted correctly.
On the other points I'll leave it to more experienced owners/mechanics.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #221688011th Mar 2021 9:20 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

“Stud” sound at the rear, are presumably the bobweights on the rear of the chassis (behind the bumper cover) they are there to smooth out unwanted vibrations etc... but with age/mileage they can become a little bit more “loose” to swing more freely than when new and you can hear that sometimes when accelerating or deceleration....

To the TO... you will never get here a definitive advice....

Most of the things you described are reasonable common things.. and can happen to all of them in the near future..

If you fall in love with one and you have the resources.... do it...

But keep in mind...

Since they are all old motors /cars by now... all of them will have some issues/points of attention.... atleast most of them....

I like to think: when you can do some (not all but quite a few) technical stuff yourself they are nice to have/own..

If you need to outsource all of the work, stay away from them..

Keep in mind, some jobs on them are body-off jobs where as on other motors the same jobs are body on jobs... what can make it far more expensive to outsource if you do not have a lift..

So just in case” make reservations” for that in the future... where 3 or 4K is not uncommon money for bigger jobs with body-off
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #221689511th Mar 2021 10:14 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think any 16 year old car is a flip of a coin.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #221689811th Mar 2021 10:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >