Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Yorkshire or NE owners?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Yorkshire or NE owners?

I sit on numerous Home Office working groups and recently of discussion is the current Land Rover crime wave in the Yorkshire and NE areas. Over 45 have been stolen in the last two months alone so clearly there is a very active crime group operating in that area..

I noticed that we had a couple of owners on here who had reported thefts of their D4’s but clearly it is a far bigger issue…

The thefts are all keyless..entry via breaking window plugging in an obd tool and teaching the car a new key…

My advice, fit an OBD lock or false obd plug, get an aftermarket alarm and use a decent tracker?..

Alternatively the Ghost immobiliser works brilliantly…

Post #226859122nd Dec 2021 10:26 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

PM on it's way !

Post #226861522nd Dec 2021 11:48 pm
Pimpintgepidge

I have my key inside a signal blocker bag and a visual box on the pedals. I don’t like the idea of them getting into the car then realising that the obd has moved or locked and them then wanting to get into the house for the key. Anyone else think like this.
 2015 D4 HSE Loire Blue  
Post #226863323rd Dec 2021 6:22 am
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Burglary or house breaking is considered a far more serious crime than car theft and carries a high likelihood of a holiday at Her Majesty’s pleasure. The scumbags will know this and take the easier route, find another victim and remove the car from the drive.

Post #226864423rd Dec 2021 8:05 am
Pimpintgepidge

I’m not sure these lowlifes actually think at all and the sentences are a breeze. Iv seen local thefts caught on cctv where a man waits at the doors with a weapon in case anyone comes out of the door. If they want the car there taking it…I think all you can do is to make it look more difficult than one further up the road.
 2015 D4 HSE Loire Blue  
Post #226864523rd Dec 2021 8:42 am
Farmer Chalk

In the main the crims want an easy life.. yes there are occasions and certain criminals will go to extreme lengths but then that makes the vehicle taken extremely hot and difficult to dispose of..the handlers of such don’t want the heat and normally will avoid such suppliers..

The Discovery’s are in the main being stolen in the dead of night normally by pinging the drivers window. This ordinarily does not set off the car alarm…allowing them to make a small hole and reach in and plug a key programmer into the OBD.

By using an obd replacement like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293750571772?ha...SwIsZfa6cx still gives the thief the indication the the vehicle is supplying power to his key programmer however for some reason it cannot communicate with the vehicle. The only way he can overcome this is to open the door and root around to identify the problem.. however he knows as soon as he does the alarm will go off… most criminals would leave it alone and move on to the next one.

On a later Keyless D4 they will use a rebroadcasting device hence the importance of using a faraday bag. My advice here is how important is your keyless function to you? I suggest not as impractical as coming out and seeing your beloved car missing..so turn off the function and use the button on your fob instead..it’s really not that inconvenient.

Post #226864823rd Dec 2021 8:59 am
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Colin from BBS doesn't seen to pop in to the forum often to promote his products but this is one of his devices specifically to prevent this type of theft.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/product/ac035

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #226871323rd Dec 2021 1:58 pm
Hardware

Took me a while to find this thread but thought this worth sharing.

When I got pulled for driving my "marked stolen" D4 on Tuesday, got into a chat with the officers whilst they were working out how to sort out Greater Manchester Police's administration cockup.

The Midlands is seeing a surge in thefts of JLR cars and also Ford Focuses. Does seem there is kit freely available that will get the cars driveable within seconds. I wonder if the Focus shares the same system as we know and love?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #227566429th Jan 2022 2:41 pm
Farmer Chalk

Well found Sir! Very Happy Very Happy

Post #227567029th Jan 2022 3:03 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for highlighting. Should this move into a 'protect yourself from theft' tips and tricks area?
I like the idea of using a dummy OBD . Is it a DIY fit job for a vehicle novice?
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #227570229th Jan 2022 5:41 pm
Hardware

I'd say DIY. That said, I've had all the bits to do it sat in the shed for at least 2 years.

In my defence, current setup means I need about 30 mins notice to access the OBD port.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #227573429th Jan 2022 7:17 pm
Hardware

Heading to Manchester now Sad

Police issue urgent warning to Range Rover owners after spate of thefts

Post #22779088th Feb 2022 5:15 pm
Farmer Chalk

Gary_P wrote:
Thanks for highlighting. Should this move into a 'protect yourself from theft' tips and tricks area?
I like the idea of using a dummy OBD . Is it a DIY fit job for a vehicle novice?
Cheers

Sorry missed this… yes but depends on the model… later JLR products the obd plug just clips in and can, with a small pick or screwdriver, therefore be carefully popped out.

The D3 is harder because I think the loom part has a couple of screws holding in place.. hopefully someone will be along shortly to inform us… the D3 is actually safer as it has an old key type ignition lock..and is clearly less valuable.

These thefts now apply to all post 18MY cars as well…. Don’t be fooled that this has got the new unstealable platform so it won’t apply…

The new trend is now to ping off the door lock cover and pick the door lock with a commercial locksmith device. This will open the door but the alarm will go off… they don’t seem to care about this.. then they can easily code an ‘emergency start’ key via the obd. This takes a matter of seconds! This means they can then steal the car very easily…

The only way to now defeat them is an aftermarket immobiliser, an obd lock/fake plug,
and /or a steering wheel lock. Do not rely on the InControl tracker as it is instantly blocked or disabled before it leaves your street!

Sorry to highlight the bad news…
DG will be along shortly ….. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #22779538th Feb 2022 8:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

..to confirm that relay thefts for certain >MY18 with UWB remains secure. Whistle

OBD related thefts ...maybe ...how about brick through the window ...or break in to your house to beat you up for the keys ...how about drag it up on a flatbed ....how aboutery Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #22779908th Feb 2022 9:49 pm
Farmer Chalk

Don’t worry… if they beat you up you’ve always got insurance! Very Happy Very Happy

Bit slow tonight DG…feeling ok?

Post #22779918th Feb 2022 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >