Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Yaw sensor and C1A98-92 error code? plus Valve block issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Matt_Hosking

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Yaw sensor and C1A98-92 error code? plus Valve block issue?

Hi All, Hope someone can advise?

I've got a couple of problems with my car (240,000mile D3 55plate), possibly the same issue but I feel more likely two.

I've got three lights constantly on the dashboard (all the amber ones) HDC fault, front suspension stuck to the ground, special programmes off.

Diagnosis so far makes me think

1 - I have a valve block issue as I can't raise the front of the car at all (even using IIDtool) - I can move the rear up and down manually but the front is not moving a mm. (of course, this therefore throws a suspension fault in normal start-up)

2 - I have a Yaw sensor issue as I have the below error code (initially thought it was steering angle but resetting it and looking at live values it seems to be doing something right).

C1A98-92 (0B) Yaw rate sensor circuit - Component failure - performance or incorrect operation
( on 24-06-2014 21:30:00 at 240393 mi )

I've seen a few RR posts about this and one thread on here with a photo of the sensor. Before I rip the centre console out of the car to hunt for corroded wiring to the sensor are there any anecdotes or words of wisdom from anyone please?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt.

Last edited by Matt_Hosking on 22nd Nov 2016 9:46 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #173809422nd Nov 2016 8:02 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No t sure if its relevant but can remember the D2 had two yaw sensors on in centre console and one in the roof.

Post #173813422nd Nov 2016 8:59 pm
Matt_Hosking

Thanks for the thought - as far as i am aware there is just the one under the centre console (?)

Post #173815522nd Nov 2016 9:18 pm
Matt_Hosking

under here:
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...onsole.pdf
like this:
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...Sensor.pdf

Post #173815722nd Nov 2016 9:19 pm
disco305

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hello,

Try this cheap process, you never know...

This is related to the yaw rate sensor calibration.

before taking things apart, try this
As far as I remember this is the process.

- Find a free piece of road.
- stop the car and turn off ignition.( gear in P )
- start engine
- put the car in low range ( makes it easier, less speed and distance )
- then drive the car, allowing all the gears to got through ( up to 5 )
- stop
- put the car in reverse
- drive 100 or so meters in reverse.
- stop
- switch every thing off
- take the key out
- wait a couple of minutes.
- restart the car
- DONE

I had to do this 2 -3 times to get the PDC to work.

About 6 months later, the pdc would not work again, so before taking it apart I tried the calibration
process again, and it cured the pdc.

If I remember one of the issues is that, if you go back and forward several times , the ECU can loose
the calibration .

Mind you, if your suspension is not correct ( level ), I wonder if the yaw sensor would not give you a error signal?

Hope this will help

Post #173822422nd Nov 2016 10:13 pm
Matt_Hosking

Hi Dsco305, thanks for that.
I thought that what you have described is the "Park Brake fault" reset for the error that gets generated if the gears slip for some reason and/or the RPM/Gear/Speed sensing does not agree with each other. It shouldn't have any real relation to the Yaw sensor as far as I am aware but heck I might as well do it anyway just to rule out another thing.

I think I've got to get the front of the car raising somehow before I get to the bottom of this, and that is more likely a "mechanical" issue as I can't stimulate it manually with an IIDtool.

Cheers,
Matt.

Post #173834023rd Nov 2016 8:46 am
Matt_Hosking

Not getting far...

So I've had both the front wheel-arch liners off and had a look at the valve block, wiring and connectors in there (the two on drivers side, and group of three on passenger side). I have to say I was pretty impressed at how dry and tidy everything was, and there were no broken wires to be found. I cleaned everything up anyway and checked the earth points too. This has made no difference at all to the issue - christmas tree, programs off, suspension down.

Its worth noting that within the last two years i've replaced all the ride height sensors and the compressor, so I'm not expecting much wrong there (hmm..). (No errors in IIDBT showing up either)

So my next thoughts are an earth fault behind some kick plate I've read about in the passenger footwell? Anyone got a photo?

Following on from that I think it will have to be a Yaw sensor replacement Sad Sad Sad

One thing that I could do with some advice on is that lateral accelerometer reading - does this also come from the Yaw sensor as my car seemingly thinks its going backwards when it is standing still !?

This can't be right!?

Another thing I have noted is that I've only got about 60psi (400kpa) in my suspension system! This seems pretty low and no manner of fiddling about with the manual height tools in my IID mange to make the car raise, the compressor fire or this pressure go up.

This is starting to get a bit tiresome now.

Oh and last question - Yaw sensor part number: LR024197 ? LR039907 ? (or is there a cheaper option e.g. Jag? as the little fecker looks to be over £200 Big Cry

Many thanks all.

Post #17580474th Jan 2017 8:54 pm
Matt_Hosking

Further news..

In an attempt to get at least the ar$e of the car off the ground (having driven this morning looking like a "pimp my ride" victim), I attempted switching to off-road setting before the car had finished its start up tests (basically ignition all the way on from position 0 and move the central switch at the same time).

So before the test cycles had finished and declared HDC and suspension faults, the back of the car came up. (Front still stubbornly stuck). I plugged in the IID tool and now have loads of pressure back in the system! Almost 15bar (210 psi).

This leads me to think that the 50 psi pressure of last night is "Access Mode" and I was stuck in it and this 210 PSI is "Off-road" ?

Can anyone confirm the running pressures of the suspension system in different modes please? Now no longer "pimp my ride" look - we are the VW scene "Cal Look" Shocked

Last edited by Matt_Hosking on 11th Jan 2017 1:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17582715th Jan 2017 11:21 am
shanegtr

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I get these occasional yaw sensor related faults:
Transfer Case
• U0122-87 (28) Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module - Bus
signal/message failure - missing a message ( at 221036 km ) *Confirmed *Test Failed
Since Last Clear Vehicle Dynamic
• C1A98-01 (08) Yaw rate sensor circuit - General failure information - general electrical
failure ( at 221036 km ) *Confirmed

Post #17609009th Jan 2017 10:54 pm
Matt_Hosking

Next bit of "non-news" - I've had the kick plate off in the passenger footwell, the earth points in there were fine too. I gave them all a bit of maintenance anyway, but no difference made.

Also I have reset the longitudinal accelerometer which is in the Park Bake controller, but do not know how to reset the lateral one which I believe is tied into the Yaw sensor??

Post #176163311th Jan 2017 1:30 pm
Matt_Hosking

Just realised I never closed off this thread.

So the front not raising was simply a wire to the front valve block that needed a re-run (note comments on other threads, some published wiring diagrams are not correct).

Once that was sorted then the car behaviour was a bit inconsistent (the fault was intermittent but every journey it would happen), and when I checked the codes I still had the Yaw sensor error. I then did some driving with the live values from the yaw sensor displaying on my diagnostic tool and could see it was working fine and then would suddenly decide I was going sideways when going forwards.

I sourced another Yaw sensor, and swapped it out (the job is not as awful as it sounds) and it immediately solved the problem. I've been driving it around for ages now with no re-emergence of the fault so I'm calling it solved.

Job done Thumbs Up

Post #193568512th Apr 2018 7:25 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well done, persistence pays. Now as you say it was not too bad, did you need to remove the centre console

Post #193569612th Apr 2018 8:18 am
Matt_Hosking

Hi,

You don't actually need to remove it. If you lift the front sections out where the front cup holders / terrain switches etc are then you can get enough flex in it just to lift it up enough.

There are two torx screws either side at the rear, behind what look like a couple of small air vents - pop the vents out, then you undo these then you can lift up the back of the console and just get to the yaw sensor. The hardest part is undoing the cable connector from the unit - it has clips either side and is a bit of a pest. There is enough room under there however (when you pull the rear cup holder tray out) to get a small ratchet on the two bolts holding the yaw sensor in and remove it.
Click image to enlarge

Here you will see the console lifted up - the vent hole is the square bit you can see at the bottom of the plastic side panel. The folded metal bracket lower down is what the screw locates into. Behind that you will see the existing Yaw sensor in place - connector already removed. (replacement sat nearby)

Here it is again..

Click image to enlarge

And here is the new Yaw sensor which i plugged in and tested before I re-fitted it.

Cheers,
Matt.

Last edited by Matt_Hosking on 12th Apr 2018 10:44 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #193572112th Apr 2018 9:15 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #193573212th Apr 2018 9:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >