Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

XR Climate activist or
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
XR Climate activist or

XR Climate activist or ecological terrorist?

Quote:

The group say they have dug up the lawn and "symbolically protected the famous apple tree to highlight the college's collusion in the destruction of nature at Innocence Farm in Suffolk."

By destroying nature at Innocence Farm, the group are referring to the fact that the college has apparently been in talks with the Port of Felixstowe about developing a lorry park for what is believed to be around 3,000 vehicles on the site - which has been turned down by planning officers.

The college is also apparently trying to build around 300 homes on the Farm site, which the college bought back in 1933.

Taken from here

Must admit I had to smile that some of them took PPE seriously and were wearing industrial safety helmets. Were they worried a pigeon might fly overhead and do its business?

So activists, or ecological terrorist/criminals causing criminal damage?

Brendan

Post #212175317th Feb 2020 3:31 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

There was a documentary on XR on Channel 5 yesterday evening: https://www.my5.tv/extinction-rebellion-th...side-story
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #212181817th Feb 2020 6:57 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Thank you Paul J, I watched that after hearing Amelia(?) on the radio trying to justify the criminal damage in Cambridge. Now she claims to be a 21 year old full time XR activist. I wonder how she funds her lifestyle?

Hope it is not at the taxpayers expense.

Now that film was interesting for what it did not state.

The biggest reason for expanding carbon emissions is quite simple. It is the rate of growth of the human population. Cutting or slowing down the rate of growth of human population will have the biggest effect on carbon emissions. This seems to be a topic area which they do not want to discuss.

Nor did they mention that the UK only emits about 1% of global carbon emissions.

As for the protestor complaining a police officer breaking his finger. I wonder what would have happen in China the biggest CO2 emitter. A trip to the re educational camp in Outer Mongolia maybe, The USA where the police shoot to kill if someone hiccups, not seen Indian riot police but have seen the Nepalese riot police and I would not want to argue with them. In France the water canyons would be out. Somehow they got away easy whilst actually contributing to the CO2 emissions of the UK.

Now I wonder what the CO2 footprint of their solar panels are, or even of the plywood used in their mobile toilets?

I know the argument about leading by example however if they could get China, USA and India to halve their CO2 emissions that would be a global reduction of 25%.

If you want real changes in CO2 emissions you need to influence the big emitters.

Brendan

Post #212203618th Feb 2020 8:46 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Brendan
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #212203818th Feb 2020 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

can we have a whip round to send the extinction rebellion twa... err protestors over to China or Russia to make their point..

also the per capita view is slightly different than an absolute basis..

I'm sure they would get in just fine in all these countries with their taxpayer/Mum & Dad/Trust-fund sponsored protests
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #212204418th Feb 2020 9:20 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Terrorsists, anarchists or vandals ...... whatever they are, these 'people' should be arrested and held to account!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #212204618th Feb 2020 9:39 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Post #212205418th Feb 2020 9:55 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:

The biggest reason for expanding carbon emissions is quite simple. It is the rate of growth of the human population. Cutting or slowing down the rate of growth of human population will have the biggest effect on carbon emissions. This seems to be a topic area which they do not want to discuss.

Bow down Bow down Bow down Totally agree Thumbs Up

Also, humans (the majority at least) are environmental NIMBYs. They don't want to actually cut their standard of living for any reason, when push comes to shove.

Conclusions:
a) the UK is wasting its time pursuing a lower environmental footprint - all it does is reduce our competitiveness in the world market
b) we're all (at least all our grandchildren) doomed, doomed I tell you Rolling with laughter

Post #212205518th Feb 2020 9:56 pm
leeds

XR are a bunch of idiots as far as the campaign against Innocent Farm lorry park. Planning permission for it has been REFUSED

Never mind the facts lets cause criminal damage. Lets dig up a lawn and than we can be on telly and the radio. Oh the fame.

Brendan

Post #212207518th Feb 2020 10:38 pm
G_Cam

Is it just me.. or is anyone else thinking of sending them an e mail to quote on a bit of garden work..

Oh no.. they might need to do it for free when they get 100 hours community service.. Whistle
1 FARR UTV SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD

Post #212208218th Feb 2020 11:09 pm
leeds

G-Cam there are many different ways of presenting figures. Am guessing that the oil producing countries have higher CO2 emissions per capita due to the flaring off of gases from the oil industries.

The two countries with largest population are China and India. The continent with the largest population growth is Africa. These countries population will aspire to become middle class to have more possessions which means larger CO2 emissions.

As the worlds population grows there will be greater demand on housing, goods, traffic, and food. All likely to increase CO2 emissions.

So will there be a world wide birth control imposed? China tried it with their one child policy but that let to femicide.

Not an easy concept to grasp and yes there needs to be some method of control of population growth. What is the solution? I do not pretend to know but it is something to be considered by XR (and others) if they are seriously concerned about climate change.

Brendan

Post #212208818th Feb 2020 11:26 pm
G_Cam

I agree China has currently got the biggest in tonnes but not per capita.
However China is making massive strides, Banning all ICE cars overnight from some city's, looking to get to net Zero emissions before the UK, building more Nuclear Power Stations than any other country on the planet. They produce more EVs than Tesla!

My point was that we, in the UK, put up with Extinction Rebellion and their questionable approach to legitimate protest... However there are other countries where they would have a smaller audience and a greater chance of making a difference! HOWEVER those countries would not tolerate any descent from Extinction Rebellion and their full time band of Greta disciples.. SO they protest here because they, in effect get away with it. I don't need or want them representing me or telling me the choices I must make. I work away and do my own bit for the planet.. Like many of us do.

In terms of Population growth.. Yip.. Is it not true that there are more people alive right now than have died in all of our preceding world history?

In a way there will come a tipping point and I don't think it will be good. Drought, Crop failures, Famine, wars for resources.. mass migration .. It will be on an unprecedented global scale. That, I hate to say, will be the limiting factor in human expansion and evolution on this planet.. I'm not sure we will see it in our lifetime. In some ways Extinction Rebellion are correct but I think they miss the bigger picture and are really failing to engage with people.. they think they are smart.. but the are not that clever I'm afraid. At least not from my point of view.
1 FARR UTV SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD

Post #212211119th Feb 2020 2:01 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Search: Thomas Malthus, or Malthusian Check.

In short;

Malthusian catastrophe: A hypothetical limit on human population espoused by English theologian and scholar Thomas Robert Malthus in his 1798 Essay on the Principle of Population. Malthus believed that humans would eventually reproduce in such excess that they would surpass the limits of food supplies; once they reached this point, some sort of "catastropheā€¯ was inevitable to control the population and human resources.

There are also suggestions of famine and natural disasters to self limit the population.

https://www.intelligenteconomist.com/malthusian-theory/
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #212211519th Feb 2020 8:11 am
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

And so it came to pass: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/co...5-percent/

Neutral
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #212255220th Feb 2020 8:24 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I was going to comment and then saw that someone already had:
Quote:
A man tends to vegetables in a field as emissions rise from nearby cooling towers of a coal-fired power station in Tongling

The emissions from the cooling towers are 'clouds' Wink
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #212256620th Feb 2020 9:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >