Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Xenons on XS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

you never did test one of mine. would be happy to test this. many cars for many years have the limit to the start up current via the canbus to stop you fitting xenons. a normal ballast draws 6-10amps the canbus less than 4.
what happens if a normal halogen bulbs blows and fails? the extra draw could do the same thing if this is what you tested?
how did you discover this?
r
ian

Post #62626923rd Mar 2010 9:15 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi
Ill start by saying i really didnt post what i did to offend, i actually fear for what ive personally experienced on my own car testing various kits from various places, admittingly not yours which may differ.

I discovered it by mistake to be honest, the kit i fitted originally was a standard run of the mill hid kit large ballast type as seen in the thread i posted.
The kit worked perfeclty as it should for a good few weeks, one day the car cut out when i truned the lights on of which i thought ohhh one of those things and forgot all about it.

It did it again when the car this time turned the lights on which is what directed to towards the lights them selfs, basicly if the lights were on before the engine was started it was ok, BUT if the lights were turned on after or the car turned them on the engine cut out.

so i got another kit of the shelf , different make CAN friendly version and these flicker on/off just as a factory Xenon does when not enabled, i then went back to the full ballast type and they seemed to work, again a few weeks went by and it started again so for me personally HID in a D4 personally is not safe, at least in the Dip beam anyway

All the kits ive tested still work in other cars with no problems, its just on my D4 its not liked.

Again, your kits may be totally different and have no ill effect on a D4 and im only giving my experiences with what i have personally tested my self on my own car so i hope i dont offend its not my intention.

Pete

Post #62628023rd Mar 2010 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Pete
I dont offend that easily Laughing

its good to get feedback on new cars and always needs a willing person like you to test.

will have to find another one to test on or rent one

thanks
Ian

Post #62629823rd Mar 2010 9:43 pm
bellautos

I have a cheap set of D4 Halogens if you want to do a conversion on them for someone to test which would make it a simple plug and play without the need for fitting your kit to test, you may even be able to get your ballast to fit in the factory location of the light which would be perfect, though it wouldneed to be waterproof.

I really hope your kits are good and working with no faults, please if you find out more let me know im genuinly interested to know.

Forgot to add in the last post, the Halogen D4's cars dont have CAN wires in the light wireing to the light unit the current draw is measures by the BCU internally.

Pete

Post #62630123rd Mar 2010 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I have briefly powered a 50/55W HID from my halogen high beam supply without any problems (engine running as lights wont work otherwise) but wont be installing a kit until the light assembly fault is confirmed and the lights replaced, so don't yet know if there are any latent problems with the high beam supply.

Post #62640424th Mar 2010 1:54 am
bellautos

I have an offer on here if anyone is intrested in a conversion.

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic48751.html

Pete

Post #62845427th Mar 2010 10:47 pm
marvelaugusts

United Kingdom 

halogen bulbs are filled with XENON gas to give extra light with a cool blue tint to them . Also these bulbs have a blue glass filter which will illuminate the yellowness that a standard bulb gives.

This post has been edited by the site administration team , for breaking the Commercial Posting Rules
 dsi r4  
Post #6328207th Apr 2010 3:37 am
bellautos

I do have a set of Xenons with LEDs for sale in the next day or so when i get time to picture, price and post about them.

They are just UK Xenons with LEDs, NOT the conrering light version as seen in my other thread.

Pete

Post #63763918th Apr 2010 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >