Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Woes with the wife's TDV6 ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Arfa

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks. I'll know more (hopefully!) at the weekend so I'll post back the results

Post #211504923rd Jan 2020 9:47 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good Luck, I hope it's a simple one..
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #211506123rd Jan 2020 10:22 am
Arfa

Browny90 wrote:

I suggest:
> Checking the electrical feed to the pump with the ignition on
> If you have a good electrical feed then replace the pump
> If you don't have a Feed then check the wiring and fuse
> Replace the pump anyway, it won't do any harm
>

Update. So. Surprise visit from my chum this morning. Took out the fuel pump relay and did a quick bridge of the socket. Fuel pump was heard to run. Turned the key and cranked for about 15 seconds and she started. Ran ok for a number of minutes. Relay back in and restart and run ok. No specific measuring equipment with him so nothing further checked in absolute terms at this point other than supply voltage, which is pretty much battery volts - at the engine compartment end at least. Poking the Schraeder test valve results in a dribble of fuel at least, but I would think nothing like the 7 PSI that Robbie's guide suggests is the norm. So looks like your analysis of the HPFP doing most of the work by sucking, rather than the lift pump taking the weight off by 'blowing' is probably correct. Hopefully, the new fuel filter will help for the moment. I will now make up a proper temporary bridging wire for the relay so that we can get the clamp-on ammeter on when he comes back tomorrow. I suspect that we are going to see a rather low current.

However, understood that this could still be a 'downstream' connector or harness splice issue. Obviously, its hard to get to the connector on the top of the tank to check that, but I have been told that there is a connector or splice in the supply somewhere on the way down the nearside harness to the EPB, suspension pump and LPFP. I've heard that it's behind the nearside front wheel-arch cover somewhere ? Anyone actually know, and point us where to look before trying to get to the tank connector ?

I think it's probably going to be a weak pump anyway, but obviously not wanting the hassle of having to drop the tank unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Greatly appreciated and good to know that there is some genuine expertise and help available ! Very Happy

Post #211532924th Jan 2020 1:04 pm
Arfa

I now have a copy of the electrical diagrams and can see that there is a connector in the live feed to the pump - C3010 - and also in the ground lead. Apparently, I need the Electrical Library document to get the physical locations of the connectors, but have not been able to find a copy of this for a 2008 RHD TDV6. Does anyone have a pdf of this document that I could get a squint at, or alternatively, know where this connector is located ? Thanks

Post #211571226th Jan 2020 2:10 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Try a search but NSF wheel arch rings a bell?

Post #211571326th Jan 2020 3:20 am
Arfa

I've tried searching using pretty much every search string I can come up with, but no definitive answer. We had the NSF wheel arch cover off yesterday, but couldn't see any in-line connectors. I have seen a YouTube vid where a professional repairer is showing a connector behind there with regard to the supply to the EPG module, but I can't say that one leapt out at us.

It would be easy if I had a copy of the Electrical Library to go with the schematics. Having been involved in the repair to component level of electronic equipment for over 50 years, and having used service manuals from pretty much every major manufacturer in the world, I can't imagine why LR would have one manual detailing all the electrics and their theoretical connection scheme, and then a separate manual to reveal the 'secret' of the layout and where the myriad connection points are located.

From what I've seen of the Electrical Library manuals for other models, and some of the individual pictures that have been posted on here, the manual itself and the labelled location photos look excellent. I just wish I could lay hands on a copy for my TDV6 … Neutral

Post #211575726th Jan 2020 11:24 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have a look under the battery

Post #211576126th Jan 2020 11:52 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Arfa wrote:
I now have a copy of the electrical diagrams and can see that there is a connector in the live feed to the pump - C3010 - and also in the ground lead. Apparently, I need the Electrical Library document to get the physical locations of the connectors, but have not been able to find a copy of this for a 2008 RHD TDV6. Does anyone have a pdf of this document that I could get a squint at, or alternatively, know where this connector is located ? Thanks

Hiya

I thought I read somewhere that around 2007 those connectors were moved from the NSF wheelarch to behind the RH side headlight ?????

Think I might have a PDF, is this the only connector ur looking for

Here u go, hope it helps Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #211577126th Jan 2020 12:29 pm
gstuart

Found some more

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #211577926th Jan 2020 12:48 pm
Arfa

Thanks very much. Very helpful. Have now determined beyond any reasonable doubt I think, that it is the pump itself that's weak. Unfortunately, it has now developed yet another (unrelated ?) problem in that the suspension pump now appears to not be running. It keeps coming up with the padlock indication, although this can be cleared, but it then comes up with a yellow warning and a general "Suspension Fault" message. It's not down on the bump stops, but it's not at normal ride height either. Neither "up" nor "down" on the selector lever has any effect at all. It had been working because my mechanic chum had put it up high to get underneath to change the fuel filter. It had come back down from there ok as well and gone back up and down a couple more times. It's almost like the suspension module has got itself confused, but he swears that he has done nothing to upset the system, nor disturbed anything physically that might have caused a problem.

Don't suppose you or any others on here might have any thoughts on this ? Something he could have done or some 'secret' mode it's got itself into ? Otherwise, I guess we're going to have to find someone that can read the codes without us having to take out a mortgage. All fuses associated with the air suspension appear to be ok BTW.

I'm now feeling a bit despondent and sorry for the missus really. She loves the car, but all this happening in the space of a few days is really taking the shine off it for both of us … Crying or Very sad

Post #211598527th Jan 2020 1:29 am
gstuart

Hi

Glad it helped , to be honest I would get the codes read, due to the complication of these vehicles it will at least give u a good indication of what’s going on

Post #211599227th Jan 2020 4:26 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Arfa wrote:
Thanks very much. Very helpful. Have now determined beyond any reasonable doubt I think, that it is the pump itself that's weak. Unfortunately, it has now developed yet another (unrelated ?) problem in that the suspension pump now appears to not be running. It keeps coming up with the padlock indication, although this can be cleared, but it then comes up with a yellow warning and a general "Suspension Fault" message. It's not down on the bump stops, but it's not at normal ride height either. Neither "up" nor "down" on the selector lever has any effect at all. It had been working because my mechanic chum had put it up high to get underneath to change the fuel filter. It had come back down from there ok as well and gone back up and down a couple more times. It's almost like the suspension module has got itself confused, but he swears that he has done nothing to upset the system, nor disturbed anything physically that might have caused a problem.

Don't suppose you or any others on here might have any thoughts on this ? Something he could have done or some 'secret' mode it's got itself into ? Otherwise, I guess we're going to have to find someone that can read the codes without us having to take out a mortgage. All fuses associated with the air suspension appear to be ok BTW.

I'm now feeling a bit despondent and sorry for the missus really. She loves the car, but all this happening in the space of a few days is really taking the shine off it for both of us … Crying or Very sad

I would charge the battery before you do anything else, if you have been trying to start it a lot it may have just fattened the battety.

Post #211599727th Jan 2020 6:19 am
gstuart

Bow down Thumbs Up

Indeed, Amazing how they can spit there dummy out if the battery is low

Post #211599827th Jan 2020 6:24 am
Arfa

Once the fuel pump was running at least weakly, and the new filter was clean enough to allow sufficient fuel to get up to the engine for the HPFP to work with, it started just fine. It has been driven around since for 'test' purposes as to whether it is delivering enough fuel to keep us going until such time as we can get a pump ordered and fitted, and otherwise it has been just fine. No limp mode, no acceleration problems including up hills, and no starting / restarting problems. So the battery has had some on-vehicle recharging. When the checks on the LP fuel system were being carried out, with the engine running, there was around 14.2 v at the battery.

Thanks for the thought anyway both, and I'll re-check. Do you know of any good writeup on the suspension system like Robbie's one on the LP fuel system. These D3s really seem to be a learning curve. I thought that the D2 that she had before was a fussy beast, but this one … Neutral

Post #211602627th Jan 2020 9:04 am
gstuart

Hiya

Good to hear ur making process

Hope this may help u ref the suspension

http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...iption.pdf

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ration.pdf

There’s always the autel AP200 which is around £50 , at least it will give u some fault codes and not to expensive , handy to keep in the disco

Won’t do any calibration etc but just a basic reader

Last edited by gstuart on 27th Jan 2020 9:17 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #211602927th Jan 2020 9:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >