Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

More woes on approved used car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
fosters35

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4
More woes on approved used car

I posted some issues in this thread http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic126679.html about some issues after buying our car from LR and there 'approved used' sceme.

It turned out some things were normal so no big deal. However, since we've got it back from LR, the amber restricted performance light comes back on after parking the car up for 15mins or so once restarting.
LR said this had been fixed and was due to 'historical low fuel' but it seems not as its back on again.

Its due back later this week for another check but whilst I was cleaning it for the first time since getting it, I noticed something else...

We found the boot (top half) was always a little difficult to close properly and would only half catch meaning trying again but just assumed that was normal.

When washing it I noticed this: all down the left side of both upper and lower boot/rear screen, the panels all match up nicely and are flush the rear side panel.

On the right hand side however, the top part of the boot sits kind of inwards and down around 10mm, almost like something has squashed or pushed it down. See pics below.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Would you say this acceptable for an 'approved vehicle' when they say the bodywork should be in 'pristine condition' on the LR approved blurb?

I also noticed one of the rear tyres is a different make to the other 3. Nothing wrong in that but not great practise from an authorised dealer.

We've not yet had it 30 days and I still have time to reject the car for a replacement or refund if they can't rectify it.
I feel so disappointed in the whole buying proccess and the problems we're having as we used to love our D3 some years ago but with these problems, can't help feeling we've bought a bit of a lemon Sad

Post #14544076th Apr 2015 6:11 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

Just because they say it's "Approved" it doesn't mean it will be any good !! But at least you'll get main dealer back up when it's not.
If you're that displeased with it so early on, take it back !!
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #14544116th Apr 2015 6:22 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You don't have to wait for them to rectify anything, if you are not happy in that 30 day / 1000 mile period, you can say you want to change it for something else. May be more difficult to get a refund though.

Post #14544156th Apr 2015 6:28 pm
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

If it was me, I'd exchange it asap..looks like bad news. If you did exchange are they able to access to national approved vehicles list to give you a wider choice Question
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #14544216th Apr 2015 6:38 pm
fosters35

Well, this is LR's blurb about exchanging/refunding:

In the unlikely event that your vehicle has a demonstrable fault that cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, within the first 30 days and the car has covered no more than 1,000 miles from the date of purchase, your car will be replaced with a car of a similar specification or a refund will be offered.

Bodywork issues and warning lights are pretty easy fixes but the dropping boot may be harder to fix.
I looked at the top of the car and theres x2 30mm wide scratches/down to metal marks between the boot and roof panel right above where the boot has dropped.

I'm far from picky but a 10mm+ mismatch in panel levels isn't a minor issue I don't think.
My worry is having them to fix it and it doesn't work, then I'm past my 30 day refund/exchange period.

Post #14544376th Apr 2015 6:56 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you have pointed it out before the 30 days you should be OK. Just make sure that you have it in writing and anything else that might be an issue is also mentioned.

Personally I'd refuse it solely on the basis of the mis-fitting tailgate.

Post #14544416th Apr 2015 7:03 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As you are not happy (and rightly so), especially with the other issues, then I think you already know you need to return it, or at least tell them that to see whether it will make the dealer get their finger out.

If you are like me, in these circumstances you are never going to be fully happy with it.
 Andy

Post #14544486th Apr 2015 7:20 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The excessive panel mismatch, I would consider to be a build issue, ie. not lined up correctly when assembled and spot welded together, they won't ever be able to fix that to YOUR (or in fact anybody's )satisfaction Laughing You have that and other issues that you have given them the opportunity to fix, and they have failed Rolling Eyes , more than enough to tell them to stick it IMHO. Thumbs Up

Last edited by DN on 6th Apr 2015 8:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14544516th Apr 2015 7:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Accident damage not fixed properly?

Post #14544546th Apr 2015 7:31 pm
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Don't rely on any form of decency from a LR dealer - take it back now and tell them you don't want it!!!

My experience is as follows:

I bought a Deafner off the main dealer in Carlisle and took it back to them within a week for a horrible transmission noise plus a few other items.

I wrongly believed that because I had started the repair process with the MD before the 30 days I was covered by the Approved Used scheme - WRONG!!

They tried in vain to repair the car for nearly 12 months but still the same fault existed (they had it monthly and each time promised it was cured). After 10 months they claimed they had been looking for a fault different to the one I was complaining about!!! This was crucial!!

In the end, I stayed calm and thought good will etc - so I went in and offered to spend more money with them and move up to a Disco. Great - they offered my a dreadful trade in price on the Deafner because they knew it had issues Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

There was nothing I could do as the fault I was "rejecting" the car on had only (in their report) come to light 10 months into ownership!!!

I spoke to an acquaintance at another LR MD and he advised me that whilst there was technically nothing I could do legally he thought they had well and truly shafted me!!!

In the end I sold it into the trade and went and bought a D3 elsewhere but I will never ever buy a car off the Carlisle LR MD ever again. Shame really as the service department were good to deal with and it was them that advised me to change the car as it had beaten them.

Hence, you can see why IMO I would suggest you stick to your guns and tell them you want rid of it now or a written guarantee that if it isn't rectified to your standard in any length of time you expect a full refund!!!

Good luck!

Post #14544946th Apr 2015 8:53 pm
lordackers

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had a similar issue with with my local dealership, I bought a 61 plate D4 GS on the 17th Jan this year, after 2 weeks I decided it was't for me, many years of Range Rovers had spoiled me so I decided I needed an XS. I noticed that the same dealership had just advertised 12my XS (the car I drive today)

I contacted the sales manager who sold me the GS and told him that I had made a mistake and wanted to trade up to the XS, I was unaware of the 30 day 1000 mile exchange at this point and it wasn't mentioned by the sales guys

I asked to collect the car on the 15th Feb as I was going away, but was told that it would not be until early in the week, disappointed I left and waited to organise a collection date, the delivery was arranged for the Wednesday, which coincidentally took me just over the 30 days! Coincidence or well planned??

So I lost £4000 on the trade in and paid 35k for the XS do you think it is worth contacting Land Rover direct?
 D4 XS 2012 black with black
Blackview DR6000
Boot shelf

Cannondale EVO hiMod

Defender 90 1996 Epson green
Vogue TDV8 2006 black with black
Vogue TDV6 2005 black with parchment
Vogue TDV6 2003 black with ivory
Vogue SE 4.4V8 black with parchment 

Last edited by lordackers on 19th Apr 2015 11:18 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14549957th Apr 2015 9:35 pm
Biker Pete

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Accident damage not fixed properly?

I would be thinking that too Sad

Post #146052619th Apr 2015 7:43 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry to say approved warranty isn't worth the paper its written on in my experience. I'll give you an example.

A few years ago now I had a just out of manufacturer warranty used disco with 'approved warranty' , it had the pull handle fuel cover release jobby. It stopped working while I was sat at the pump with a very empty tank. The LR assist chap came out, super helpful and forced it open told me goto dealers and get it fixed. Great.

Rolled into Billy Smarts circus at Stratford Upon Avon to be told by Clown1 at service desk 'Definitely not covered under warranty sorry that will be £xxx to fix'. I said I found it very unlikely a fault preventing you from putting fuel in the bloody car rendering it useless struck me as a valid claim I just got a blank dappy look(i think this are trained that way by this chain of stealers).

Asked him if I could borrow his desk phone to make a quick call and called LR customer services, gave clown1 name to them and explained situation. They told me it most definitely is covered at which time I heard a few quiet uh-oh's from other customers waiting in the room. Haven't been back to that circus since.

They were basically lying to me in the hope i would roll and pay so their service cash sales numbers could be increased. Fraud basically. Can't image how many other poor sods have been had in a similar way.

you get the idea...

Get it back for a refund pronto their are thousands of other used disco's out there and why have the headache.

Post #146052919th Apr 2015 7:58 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Fosters...

There may be a deeper more costly to fix issue below the warning light.....if he MD can't suss this & they provided the D3 & the warranty - not good but possibly fixable
The body alignment is something else.....I doubt if this was a manufacturing issue (you have to ask why & how it could occur on the build line) in my humble the disk has been under something & whatever it was it bent things.
It won't heal up by itself & a 10mm misalignment may be old s tyle LR standard but no now on a Disco...

If you have the option get rid right now - don't Censored about & get beyond or even close to the Cinderella time. D not worry about goodwill either as to me there is little sentiment or honour with MD principles

Best of luck
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #146070419th Apr 2015 2:57 pm
fosters35

Just an update...

The car went back to dealers a couple of days before the 30 days was up.
The service manager and myself looked around and agreed on getting things fixed.

Fast forward almost 2 weeks to today and I still don't have the car back.
I called yesterday and they said it was ready to pick up today but when I asked about the boot issue, the guy went round the car whilst on the phone and said the recess on tailgate was still there.

The saga continues...

Post #146159221st Apr 2015 10:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >