DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Wiring from auxiliary battery to the rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Timj

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Wiring from auxiliary battery to the rear

Hi All,

I am a new D3 owner (1 week and 1 day now) and am fitting an auxiliary battery with a feed to a couple of points in the boot area and an anderson plug to allow a battery to be charged in the trailer. I have all the bits I need courtesy of the Traxide kit here in Australia but I am having problems with getting the wires through to the back of the car. I have looked at pulling up all the sill covers and routing it through there but am worried about damage to the clips if I don't do it right as none of it appears to be screwed down. So I looked at putting it through one of the chassis rails and was going ok until I find that I can't get the plastic puller through as there are too many bends and obstructions inside the rail (despite the fact that I have seen photos of someone else doing just that on the AULRO forum). So the question is has anyone on here run wiring to the boot and trailer plugs from the auxiliary battery tray and if so how did you do it? If possible in words that a very new D3 owner can understand Rolling Eyes and maybe even pictures?

Thanks,

Tim.
 Buckingham Blue TDV6  
Post #26597929th Feb 2008 11:02 am
Nash

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hagis wrote....

"I ran a large cable from a circuit breaker near the aux battery to the rear right side luggage area. The cable was a 'starter' size cable.

The route/method was as follows.
If you remove the inner plastic guard for the right front wheel you will see a large grommet that has a spare blind nipple on it. You can trim this nipple to size and pass your cable from the engine bay to he underside of the car through it.

I used flexible conduit to contain the cable under the car and routed it with the existing harnesses to the rear of the vehicle. I also picked up existing mounting points for the flexible conduit.

At the rear I removed one of the body grommets and replaced it with a suitable sized glind (cross between a grommet and a cable clamp). The cable passed through this glind providing a water/dust tight seal and a mechanical clamp for the cable. I have a fuse box mounted in the rear, running an inverter (charging cameras etc), refrigerator, and camp lighting. The fuse box is mounted to a storage system (draws/shelves etc) in the rear luggage space. "
 Nacho

DISCOVERY3 TDV6 HSE Zambezzi 

Post #2665331st Mar 2008 10:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nash

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6456.html
 Nacho

DISCOVERY3 TDV6 HSE Zambezzi 

Post #2665341st Mar 2008 10:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi,

I routed similar to Nash up front. I used a heavy split conduit to contain the leads and fixed them high up on the right Chassis rail. Most difficult part was going over the top of the rear suspension, raised the car, placed an axle stand under the chassis and removed the rear right wheel for best visibility and to reach in and secure the conduit properly. I ran it across the back of the chassis and then used one of the spare grommet locations in the left rear compartment to bring the conduit through before the wiring emerged. No issues. Routed away from existing wiring as much as possible to avoid any field interference.

All the best
 TDV6  
Post #2665411st Mar 2008 11:22 am
Timj

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies guys,

I had been wondering how to search the forum and while reading the replies finally saw the search option at the top and found the older replies referred to. Funny how things hide best when in plain sight isn't it? I have managed to get a bit of rope fed through the chassis rail by using a piece of wire to feed between closer sets of holes then pull the rope through each one. Took a while but I eventually got there. Only trouble is that I found the heavy duty cable I had was not quite long enough so I am waiting for a bit more. I looked at attaching it above the chassis rail but didn't think there was a path there or anything to cable tie it to so perhaps I need to look a little harder as that may still be a better option. Or perhaps I will actually try to pry up the sill covers (very gently) as that would still be a safer path for the cable I think.

I will let you know how I go in the end.

Tim.
 Buckingham Blue TDV6  
Post #2667992nd Mar 2008 2:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >