United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

NJF wrote:
Sorry, Mark, I didn't twig that you're on 19". Mine are 18". Sad

OK no problem
 Mark  
Post #37345913th Nov 2008 9:40 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Winter tyres are a big discussion in Germany and Austria.
A winter tyres is a tyre with the snow flake symbol at the side. M+S is not a winter tyre.

This is what I understood:

The german law says that M+S tyres are OK but the German police can say if you have an accident that you didn't do enough to prevent it. So you could be blaimed partly or full.

In Austria they say wintertyre is obligatory from november 1st to april 1st? unles you have snowchains. But you could be fined if you hold up the traffic. And if you have an accident, you have to proove it was not because you don't have winter tyres.

Are winter tyres better than M+S tyres? There are test and advertisements that a winter tyre is better below 7deg Celsius. But other test say that on wet roads None winter tyres are better and winter tyres will always be better if you have snow.
The thing is that winter tyres are made for snow and ice on the road which is driven over so a hard flat slippery surface. Most winter tyres are not designed to get water away from under your tyres so if there is plenty off water on the road they are lacking compared to the "normal" tyres.
So if you go to Austria p.e. do you drive mostly on wet roads or roads full off snow? So what should be your priority?

I had contact with my insurance about this and got written confirmation they will pay in case off an accident on the tyres I use on the moment.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #37369414th Nov 2008 12:11 pm
RR38HANS

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

On my P38 I used Pirelli Ice & Snow all year round, before them I had Pirelli ST and they were crap compared to the Ice & Snow.

The ST had no grip on snow, and in the wet I could do 4 wheel drifts at 20 mph.

If I would have only 1 set for both summer and winter then I would go for Pirelli Ice and snow

On my D3 I have a set of 20" for summer and 18" with Ice & Snow for winter
 05 TDV6 HSE AUTO 7seats, tonga green/alpaca, alpine roof, privacy glass, tow kit, wood kit, 20" stormers n summer, 18" in winter, fancy exhausts, rear seat ent., club fooked turbo!

RANGE ROVER 1995 SOFTDASH (sold)
RANGE ROVER 1997 P38 (sold)
TRIUMPH TR6 OD
LOTUS EXCEL SE
AUDI A2 TDI 

Post #37411915th Nov 2008 1:11 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The general grabber AT2 is M+S but also has the mountain symbol with a snowflake on it - so i've been told. Legally could use this all year but would personally prefer Dunlop/Continental/Pirelli winter tyres for winter, given the bad winters that will start soon Very Happy
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #37428316th Nov 2008 12:17 am
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I run a Defender 90 as my toy, and that has BFG All-terrains on it, they have the Snowflake in a mountain symbol, but I would not rate them as a good tyre in the snow. Don't misunderstand me though, they are a good tyre, but a true winter tyre is a softer compound rubber with more silica in it, not just a good open tread.

I have lost the 90 a few times in the snow, whereas the D3in the snow was surprisingly grippy.
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #37443616th Nov 2008 5:03 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I use Pirrelli Scorpion Ice & Snow's on my RRS. The main issue with these tyres is that they can wear out pretty quickly so the set I used last winter (9,000 miles in 5 months from November to April) were pretty much worn out when I fitted them a few weeks ago. Those tyres work really well in all conditions (in fact aren't at all bad offroad) and I prefered them to the Continentals I use in the summer. So I had no hesitation in buying a new set of Pirelli's this year. Kwik Fit are doing a great offer on Pirelli's at the moment (4 for price of 3 if you order them online). However, for some as yet unknown reason, thye new tyres I have just fitted don't appear to grip nearly as well as the set I used last year. They have a "vagueness" about them and they don't feel nearly as grippy. I think the issue might be that the set I used last year had a "NO" marking after the size, speed, weight etc markings. This years set hasn't got the "NO" markings. Kwik Fit said the tyres specified for the RRS should not have the "NO" as that marking meant the tyre was just specified for the Porsche Cayenne. If I was buying these again I would go for the "NO" marking everytime !
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #37457616th Nov 2008 9:36 pm
ronk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm also at the stage of a complete tyre change. Currently have the standard Pirelli Scopions which are now at the 3mm stage. (20,000 miles) Over the years I've become very impressed with Vredesteins and was considering the Wintrac 4 as mentioned in some of the replies.

I notice that several post say that they use these tyres all year and would like to ask for your opinions of such use as I dont really want to get into wheel changes and the storage problems of two sets!

Can I ask what the damage was to the wallet?

ronk

Post #37772623rd Nov 2008 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Ron

Mine haven't arrived yet so can;t comment on performance (they're due next Week) but if you do decide to go for them Camskill were the best deal at £132 ea delivered
 Mark  
Post #37800723rd Nov 2008 10:39 pm
distantdreams

Denmark 

You might want to consider Continental Tyres, I have been driving Conti4x4WinterContact for several years now, on trips in Sweden and Norway. In Norway the roads are never cleared for snow, you have to drive on the ice, the Norwegian themselves drives on spiked tires, but living in Denmark and passing though Sweden, this is not an option – and so the Conti’s have served me very well, far better than the Michelins I used before the Conti.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...abNr=.html

Post #37838724th Nov 2008 5:30 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Are these the correct size load rating for a D3 ? 255/55R18 109V XL TL VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME Thumbs Up

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #37906925th Nov 2008 11:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

shiny moose wrote:
Are these the correct size load rating for a D3 ? 255/55R18 109V XL TL VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME Thumbs Up

Not sure about 18"'s but the 19's come in 111 load rating which is the same as the OEM 19" tyres. Perhaps one of the site sponsors can give advice on the load ratings?

Post #37914926th Nov 2008 8:18 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

All D3'S should run on 111 load rating.

I will give more info later when I have done my sums.

Post #37915326th Nov 2008 9:01 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I do think it's best to stick to L/R recommendations, as I am sure if the worst happended your insurance company and L/R would wriggle like mad.

Andy.

Post #37918926th Nov 2008 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >