Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Windscreen replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Its seemed fitted correctly - can it just be glued down?
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #204820724th Apr 2019 12:03 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Replacement windscreen fitted today, got to say that Autoglass guys were great and the job looks very well done with new A pillar clips and trims fitted as routine.

LR branded Pilkington screen fitted after a short chat with the Coop Insurance guys, normal glass excess applied Thumbs Up

Post #204847525th Apr 2019 9:49 am
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Nice one - at the bottom of the windscreen where it meets the rubber cowling is there any gap at all after fitment?
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #204854325th Apr 2019 1:25 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

No gap Fishboy, I checked that after your comments. Although I wouldn’t say that its a water tight seal as the rubber can be easily pulled away. Sits on the glass though.
Autoglass guy said just to call if I wasn’t happy with anything.

Dex

Post #204854925th Apr 2019 1:45 pm
KTM Gordo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

It was my turn to have a cracked screen recently, and Autoglass was down to the usual standard.

I was wary of having a generic windscreen instead of one from the OE manufacturer, knowing that the Optikool coating is patented.

After several conversations with various people at Autoglass, some of who understood my concerns given my previous experiences; other who were completely disinterested, I was led to believe that I would be getting a screen from the same manufacturer, but without the LR badge - in fact I was told that sometimes they remove the LR badge.

Appointment duly made (initially there were no appointments available for over three weeks!) I arrived at the depot to be greeted by a Chinese generic screen, which I'm assured is the OE manufacturer for all manner of prestige cars like Mercedes, Ferrari and others.

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately I needed the car, and having not been able to use it with the broken screen, I was not really in a position to argue at the time - with hindsight I should have walked away.

The screen was OK optically, although there was an alignment mark of sorts right in the driver's eyeline, but I suspected that it didn't have the same UV properties at the original.

Click image to enlarge

Fortunately it coincided with the warm spell in February, and in the sun, with the air con set to 20C, it would not shut down, indicating that the solar sensor was getting too much thermal energy...

Getting back in touch with Autoglass I explained the situation, and they gave me the option to have the screen replaced again with an OE screen, at a discounted price - which I accepted.

Initially I had been offered the OE screen at extra cost, but had been reassured by the comments made about it being a screen from the same manufacturer as original. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately the various pieces of misinformation I was given means I can't trust a word of what anyone at Autoglass tells me about the product.

Interestingly, looking at the web site for the Chinese windscreen to see if its screen were to OE standards, I noted that it had been given an award by a company called Belron as its most trusted partner. Belron's UK trading name is Autoglass... Incidentally I never did manage to work out what the screen was made of as the English on the site was best described as broken.

Now that I've got a Pilkington screen back in, the air con isn't working as hard despite the higher temperatures, confirming my suspicion that the Chinese screen wasn't to the same spec. as the original.

Click image to enlarge

Still, it's better than a colleague's experience of Autoglass: six weeks ago they replaced his screen and damaged the paintwork in the process. No action at all until this week, when they failed to attend on two appointments despite my colleague being assured that they appointments were fixed and couldn't be rescheduled without consulting him first...
 Gordon

2016 D4 Landmark, Yulong White, SDV6, Ex-JLR Fleet
2013 D4 HSE (Gone! Sold within the forum) 

Post #204890726th Apr 2019 6:57 pm
Chris x

United Kingdom 

Fun and games begin...

Cracked screen on my Discovery 3 HSE, + the fact 95% of the heated elements don't work and the screen is turning white at the top (already been replaced before with a make I've never heard of)...

Contact Auto glass on Tuesday - They say they will fit a Pilkington screen as standard (yeh, OK...), and its booked in for this morning... booking confirmation comes through yesterday and I ask via the website link for them to confirm that it's Pilkington - the answer is no (surprise surprise) and they will do it next Tuesday as Pilkington comes from another warehouse.

Get a call this morning and its the guy outside waiting to fit the screen, I ask is it Pilkington and he says no, the make is Swaya/Swara/Suayara or something along those lines and he keeps reiterating that's who LR use now as they main supplier for new builds?

Anyway, sent him packing, just got off the phone to Auto glass and they are going back to my insurance company (LV) to ask for permission to fit a genuine screen...

Censored Censored take. Wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't heated, but from ALL of my previous cars with heated screens (at least 5), everyone that's had a replacement screen that isn't genuine or Pilkington, the heater elements have been pretty much all dead.

Post #20983068th Nov 2019 9:54 am
bronjen

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Heated screen replacement

My 55 plate D3 has a crack in the front screen that today has gone right across the line of sight on drivers side.
I want to replace screen with a heated front screen am told the wiring is in the area around the rear view mirror, is there any other things I need to check before obtaining a heated replacement screen?

Post #21034103rd Dec 2019 11:28 pm
Wilco44

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had a Fuyao replacement front screen fitted by Autoglass last year and have to say not had any problems with it over last winter defrosting or with air con not shutting down in the summer. I know it's not a Pilkington and I should have asked for one but I needed the car for work, and they came next day to fit it. If I ever have a problem I guess I will have to get a crack in it when driving! Whistle
 Firm not hard  
Post #21035294th Dec 2019 3:31 pm
bronjen

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Windscreen replacement

Contacted Autoglass, my insurer preferred windscreen fitter, when I spoke to the booking agent and asked for them to use Pilkington glass for all the reasons listed, they came back to me with that glass will cost extra sir, but cant tell you how much more, is that reasonable? Whistle

Post #21046759th Dec 2019 3:02 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I have a small ish crack right in the centre of my windscreen, so far its not getting any worse but ill look at getting it replaced in the spring once all the junk on the roads have reduced as id hate to have a new windscreen fitted only for a new stone chip a week later.

im currently with LV for insurance, so would assume Autoglass are their preferred fitter. My D4 is 8 years old so it wont get a genuine screen unfortunately but what should I look for in a new screen.

Its an D4 XS so has the heated elements but should it have any solar reflective or other function such as anti glare tint as well?
which glass manufacturers are the ones to definitely NOT have?
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21046889th Dec 2019 4:00 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just insist on pilkingtons, they will fit genuine if pushed as the cheap ones have numerous issues

Post #21047439th Dec 2019 7:33 pm
Sea Raider

Re: Heated screen replacement

bronjen wrote:
My 55 plate D3 has a crack in the front screen that today has gone right across the line of sight on drivers side.
I want to replace screen with a heated front screen am told the wiring is in the area around the rear view mirror, is there any other things I need to check before obtaining a heated replacement screen?

I don't believe the wiring is near the mirror but instead on both A pillars - should be two ribbons from the screen on either side with a heavy purple wire and a heavy black wire for connection to the screen, purple on the passenger side, dont know re the drivers side

Post #21047459th Dec 2019 7:44 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Here the insurance company lets me go to “any” company to fit a new screen. The company takes care of the paperwork with the insurer, I pay the deductible (200 €) to the fitter and as an end result get a new screen. So I went to the local authorized Pilkington fitter one morning and got the vehicle back the same afternoon.

All in all it was really painless about a month or so ago. Thumbs Up

Post #21047469th Dec 2019 7:46 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

aja4x4 wrote:
Just insist on pilkingtons, they will fit genuine if pushed as the cheap ones have numerous issues

would the genuine replacement apply to an 8 year old motor though ? I can understand If not but I would still insist on a quality replacement due to the heating element issues and solar reflective properties of cheaper alternatives. ?
I would be more than happy with Pilkington tbh
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #210483410th Dec 2019 9:00 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes your policy would be new for old on the windscreen which must be to OEM spec so you can insist on a genuine screen.
I have never had an issue you may get fobbed of a couple of times but just stand your ground .

Post #210487410th Dec 2019 11:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >