Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Winch Power Fuse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CFB

United Kingdom 
Winch Power Fuse

I'm in the process of fitting my Superwinch EP9 to the D3, I have a cutout switch but am thinking I should probably fuse the main power feed as there is a hefty current flow which if shorted could go up like a Christmas tree Shocked

Has anyone fitted such a fuse and if so any recommendations on a supplier and appropriate rating etc please? The maximum current draw at full load is 350A
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #25241429th Jan 2008 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

I have never put a fuse on a winch, and dont know eneyone who has one, just make sure the cables cannot rub on metal parts and cause a short, and be able to isolate the power in an emergencey ie. as you quoted a switch.
by the way a 350 amp fuse is a very big mother and if available for 12 volt would be very pricey, also the voltage put through a fuse is not so important but it has to be very robust.

Rob

Post #25242629th Jan 2008 10:18 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Not much point in putting in a fuse that big . It will probably not pop even if there is a dead short . Rather rely on the cut out switch so that the power is disabled to the winch when not in use

My 2c

Post #25245129th Jan 2008 11:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Biggest current rated fuse I can find is 250A.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #25245529th Jan 2008 11:39 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Thanks all, will just use the cutout then.
Post #25247629th Jan 2008 12:14 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thermal trip?

sensor on supply cable, (big) isolator solenoid...

My 2¢
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #25247729th Jan 2008 12:16 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

250A fuse - tidler - I've a 2500A/1200V fuse on my desk which is a reasonable size, not the biggest I've seen.

For the duty you are talking about on a winch even 350A might not be enough, my old Husky would draw 400A from the batteries until they were DEAD (a pair of Optima yellow tops in parallel for the winch). A thermal trip might be useable, but its rating it would be a nightmare given the duty cycle we throw at winches - fairly long duration, high currents so a high thermal duty.

The question "What are you trying to protect?" comes to mind, if its the battery, then you are looking at protecting against a dead short for a few hundred mili-seconds it works out at someting in the region of 1000A - much the same as a stalled winch which is a "normal" operating situation. To protect the cable the sums are a bit better, assuming a half decent bit of electric string it will probably take 1000A for half a minute before it starts to get a bit too warm. You can get things that will do this sort of protection duty, but they aren't fuses they are circuit breakers - expensive circuit breakers, big expensive circuit breakers......

Personally I've never protected a winch with a fuse. but I have protected against a cable fault by having a big switch at the battery end of the cable to the winch whihc I always turned OFF when I'd finished with the winch (very embarassing if you don't turn it ON before you start to use the winch....)
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #25250029th Jan 2008 12:54 pm
heine

Agreed - the best bet is to ensure that you have a good installation with the correct thickness cable , routed properly , so that it can't get damaged , and then only have power to the winch when using it , via the said cut out switch . The rest comes down to not overheating the winch during operation

Post #25250329th Jan 2008 1:03 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Agree, would not put a fuse in winch power supply. The warn setup on mine has a solenoid that operates with the ignition so winch only works with ign on.. 2 benefits.. Driver can stop winch immediately if a problem or smoke! and it means no power to winch when vehicle unattended. Stops the paper clip brigade trashing the winch by jumping the remote socket!!
If you need high power fuses for other acc's these are very good :-
http://www.power-store.com/?id=202

Power Store is a good source for all 12v professional wiring kit...
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #25339231st Jan 2008 8:30 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Solenoid sounds a good idea, anyone know where to get one? Got it all fitted and working today, hidden mount is 8)

Scared myself witless though and managed to burn my arm badly, I was reaching down to cable tie in the battery leads when my metal watch strap touched the battery + and the metal - of the FBH, massive sparks and the watch got red hot taking a large chunk of skin with it Shocked
Post #25342731st Jan 2008 9:31 pm
heine

CFB I managed to do the same once with my wedding ring . Problem was that I couldn't get it off quick enough . I now take both watch and ring off before going near the car Laughing

Post #25344831st Jan 2008 9:52 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

cotefarmboy wrote:
Solenoid sounds a good idea, anyone know where to get one? Got it all fitted and working today, hidden mount is 8)

Scared myself witless though and managed to burn my arm badly, I was reaching down to cable tie in the battery leads when my metal watch strap touched the battery + and the metal - of the FBH, massive sparks and the watch got red hot taking a large chunk of skin with it Shocked

Used to deal with K3 power plant in the telecomms business - went on a maintenance course in Sweden and they had some interesting photos of damage to people caused by wedding rings and watches at 1500 amps...
some poor guy lost a whole hand when his watch touched both copper busbars Shocked
Hope it heels quick Andy.

Post #25346531st Jan 2008 10:15 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hope it was not a Rolex!! Seriously though, hope it heals soon...

Not sure what relay is fitted on mine as installled by the chaps at LRE. Had a quick surf and this looks like it would do the job.
http://www.lewis4x4.co.uk/shop.asp?ItemID=...0products!
But there are loads if you do a google search.
The relay could be wired to the ignition as mine is or just a switch in the cabin to turn on and of when needed. That's prob better as would only be on when needed but can still be isolated very quicky from inside if needed.
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #25348031st Jan 2008 10:38 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Course it was a Rolex, melted to a lump Mr Insurance assessor, had to bin it Whistle
Post #25348531st Jan 2008 10:48 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

cotefarmboy wrote:
Course it was a Rolex, melted to a lump Mr Insurance assessor, had to bin it Whistle

Scams, Fiddles and Honest Claims on Channel 4 at moment - interesting watching Wink

Post #25348931st Jan 2008 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >