Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Winch Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Winch Advice

Hi All

Bit of a novice off roader, looking to do some easy green lanes around Thetford area, but before I go out, want to make sure I am prepared (done some off roading in Australia before) and am therefore looking to get a cheap hand operated winch as I don't want to mount one just yet and won't be doing it too often.

I've seen some on ebay (e.g. 4 tonne puller) but these are not like what I've used before. Can anyone recommend a decent supplier (or ebay link) for a hand operated winch...?

I'll also have to get some winch rope, shackel, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Post #12951198th Jun 2014 6:26 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

With the weight of the D4 or D3, plus the mud suction, you want something with greater pull than 4 ton in my opinion (or a leas a doubled + line). (I wont go on about do you need a winch or is there somewhere to winch from etc)

Tirfor winches are what you may have seen as a hand winch - equally people have used a hi-lift jack

Personally I wouldn't be looking at a winch to do greenlaning - if you get stuck like that something else is wrong or the lane wasn't drivable (or you should have a buddy to go with). If your at a pay and play type site - someone will be there to help you out.
 Mike  
Post #12953048th Jun 2014 10:15 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks, trifor are what I've seen before. I'll walk the lane to make sure nothing too bad and have a go.

Post #12953979th Jun 2014 6:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >