Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Will I get my D3 back?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Will I get my D3 back?

Well just got back from holiday but had to leave the car in France as some old git decided to come the wrong way down motorway! 3 cars later & a taxi & we got home after 14 hours on the road last night!
Land Rover assist where great & organized our travel back home!

The car hit just behind the front wheel & went down the side of the car, so all panels are damaged + the B pillar at the bottom is damaged! He also hit the back wheel so hard it has cracked 2 of the Spokes & put the wheel out of alignment! The doors do not close & you can see daylight from the back foot well!
So will they repair it or wright it off???

A summery of what happened!
"On Tuesday 14th February 2006 at approximately 4.00 pm French time, I was traveling north on the A20 motorway in France between junctions 20 and 21 with my family (wife and 3 children of 7, 5 and 3 years) when I had the following accident.

I was traveling in the left hand (fast) lane behind a lorry which was in the process of overtaking another lorry in the right hand (slow) lane. I estimate my speed to be between 50 – 60 miles an hour due to the Lorries overtaking. Suddenly the lorry in front of me swerved over to the right to avoid a white Peugeot car which was traveling in the opposite direction down the fast lane of the motorway. Obviously I did not see this car until the lorry had swerved out of the way. I tried to move over but only had time to avoid a head on collision, and the white car proceeded to hit the entire length of the left hand (passenger) side of my vehicle. Fortunately, I avoided hitting the lorry which was on my right hand side. I immediately moved over onto the hard shoulder (emergency lane) and waited for the security people and the French Police. Fortunately, no one in my vehicle was hurt. My wife was advised by witnesses that the driver of the white car was an old man who was confused and had not realised he was travelling the wrong way down the motorway.

After being removed from the motorway by a tow truck I was advised that my vehicle had sustained considerable damage and would not be able to be driven. I was advised that I would be required to pay for the removal from the motorway which I did, and I enclose a copy of the receipt for reimbursement.

Due to this my family and I had no option but to stay overnight in a local hotel and await assistance on how to get home the following day. I would therefore like the cost of the hotel refunded from the other driver’s insurance company, and I enclose a copy of the receipts for your information.

I understand that Direct Line is repatriating my vehicle, and I used Land Rover Assistance to repatriate myself and my family."
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #4271616th Feb 2006 6:10 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Crying or Very sad

If the doors don't shut it sounds like the shell is twisted - which means a write off Sad

However, better to write the car off than you or a member of your family Nick - the D3's done its job - glad to hear you're all safe Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4271816th Feb 2006 6:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

As Martin says, better the car than the family, so the car did its job and good to hear you are all safe. Tough luck, especially at the end of a holiday. Sad

Last edited by BN on 16th Feb 2006 6:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4272116th Feb 2006 6:19 pm
SN

Martin wrote:
Crying or Very sad

If the doors don't shut it sounds like the shell is twisted - which means a write off Sad
Glad you're all OK - On the flip side, if it is written off, if you've got GAP insurance, you'll get a brand new one!!! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4272216th Feb 2006 6:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nickhearne

Thanks Martin all safe & well, if a Little shaken!
It may just be the doors that are miss shaped, think the sill took most of the impact, if it had been at car hight the doors would have taken the blow! Still can't quite believe what has happened! I took some photos but some thing has gone wrong as these have disappeared Crying or Very sad
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4272716th Feb 2006 6:24 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked Shocked sorry to hear your bad luck, Nick at least all you and yours are OK.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #4272816th Feb 2006 6:24 pm
Nickhearne

qzdcg8 wrote:
Martin wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Glad you're all OK - On the flip side, if it is written off, if you've got GAP insurance, you'll get a brand new one!!!

No I think not as I'm with dodgy line, but I have to admit to not really wanting it back after what has happened to it! But with the cost involved of the car will they right it off?
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4272916th Feb 2006 6:27 pm
SN

Nickhearne wrote:

No I think not as I'm with dodgy line, but I have to admit to not really wanting it back after what has happened to it! But with the cost involved of the car will they right it off?
I'm with D Line too but I got sold the GAP insurance by LR. It'll be a straight comparison between "cost to fix" and "what its worth" Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4273016th Feb 2006 6:30 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How old is yours?
If it is under one year then if it is a write off you will get a new one anyway.
Glad you are all safe, must have been a nasty experience.

Post #4273316th Feb 2006 6:33 pm
Nickhearne

13 moths old now had its birthday in Jan! Just have to wait & see! Crying or Very sad
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4273516th Feb 2006 6:38 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Sorry...

Mine is still in the Dealership due to its battery problems (11 days and counting to get a replacement battery... Sad ), but if I can be of any help, just PM me, ok ?

We are a bit far from the A20, being around Paris, but if you need help, just let us know if we can help... Wink

Post #4274516th Feb 2006 7:15 pm
Nickhearne

Gurvan wrote:
Sorry...

Mine is still in the Dealership due to its battery problems (11 days and counting to get a replacement battery... Sad ), but if I can be of any help, just PM me, ok ?

We are a bit far from the A20, being around Paris, but if you need help, just let us know if we can help... Wink

Thanks for the kind offer, it is all in the hands of the insurance company now, car can take up to 10 days to get in back to Dover where it will be assessed to see what will happen to it!
I have to say the French police where great about it all, very help full, if it was not for the other driver not being so senile then we would not have had to wait around for his relatives to be called in to fill out the forms!

Thanks all for your best wishes

Nick
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4276016th Feb 2006 8:07 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

OK...

If you need help, just let us know...

See ya...

Post #4276316th Feb 2006 8:13 pm
Pelyma

England 

Bloody hell, glad to hear you are all ok
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4276716th Feb 2006 8:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Glad you and your family are OK, just goes to demonstrate why I buy a large 4x4.

13 months old is a bit of a shame.

Post #4279216th Feb 2006 9:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >