Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Good luck finding this
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have had a look @ the splices in my D3 and found this blue "isolating" tape. I found loads of these splices, so I thought that it was only on my vehicle this was found. But after reading this post im not alone to have this.

This insulations are an insult!!! Fatal failure just waiting to happen.

I have opened all the spices i could find and had a look at what was suppose to be copper wires. wel not any more.. its black wire with collored insulation.

I tried to solder on these wires, but no luck there.

I had to replace many wires. so do your self a favour while you are working on the wires.. cut those metallic crimps and splice them and put on crimping tubes, then use electrical tape. I use a Nitto tape.

So this summer im goin to remove the interior of my D3 and have another look at the splices i have done and see if i can find any more of them to repair.

P.

Post #10651642nd Mar 2013 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up

Post #10651662nd Mar 2013 6:04 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I will be doing this as preventative maintenance on mine before it goes back on the road. So many issues can be caused by a faulty splice joint Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #10652472nd Mar 2013 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It would perhaps be a good idea to start mapping the locations of any bad joints found, for future reference.

Post #10652562nd Mar 2013 7:50 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
It would perhaps be a good idea to start mapping the locations of any bad joints found, for future reference.
yes please Thumbs Up A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #107386718th Mar 2013 8:37 pm
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Take before and after pictures of all the splices and a note of findings and solutions and post it up here so others can benefit from it?

P.

Post #107420619th Mar 2013 12:09 pm
J12Engineering

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I've just collected my D3 from the local indy after the EGR valve was replaced under warranty and on the way home I had a transmission fault appear on the dash. I pulled over, shut down and then powered up, all looked to be ok until Drive was selected when the warning reappeared, along with no Sport or Command Shift modes.

Once home I plugged in the Hawkeye and the fault was registered as P081C Park Input Circuit. The fault clears straight away with Hawkeye, only to reappear as soon as D is selected. My next thought was to hit the Disco3 Forum as it regularly leads the way in fault diagnosis. Bow down Having entered the fault code details there were no clues listed under the 4 threads that contained the code details. However, a secondary search for transmission faults revealed this thread.

Having read it I shot straight back outside to try the 'lights on' scenario and sure enough it works as advertised. Consequently, it looks to be the identical fault as described by Disco_Mikey, Gareth and NoDo$h Thumbs Up So fingers crossed, when I pull the passenger sill trim back, it will be the same corroded splice and not something inadvertently disturbed under the bonnet by the indy changing the EGR valve. Obviously they will get a call first thing to alert them to the presence of the fault, just in case it is something else.

Given I do not have a sunroof for the very reason that they have the water retention properties of a colander, it will be interesting to see if I have any moisture under the trim/carpet.

Last edited by J12Engineering on 13th Jun 2013 9:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #111684213th Jun 2013 8:41 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It happens on cars even without the sunroof.

This weekend, I have a dodgy central locking splice joint to repair, which just happens to be in the same side as the one that causes the transmission fault. Will upload pictures of them both for future reference, in this thread Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #111687713th Jun 2013 9:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #111688113th Jun 2013 9:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hope you find the same thing as I did. You have to dig deep into the loom to find the offending wire. For information, whilst my car had a sunroof, I was never aware of it leaking. The presence of water in the wiring trough I put down to a weekend of of green laning in the snow, and my passenger getting in and out with snow on his boots.

Ironically, my passenger is now the current owner, so no comeback on me with this one Cuzzy Rolling with laughter

Post #111690113th Jun 2013 10:19 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

ok having looked thru the posts on this one.....trigger showed off a possible issue...last evening had collected a car in the heavy rain, loaded the trailer under a tree, no doors/windows left open (but always keep the keys in me pocket).

Got back in, had the radio only on listening to the Archers, turned the car over and just put me had on the selector to move it to drive and for a fraction of a second I saw "F" appear in the dashboard display then the car's central locking came on and deadlocked all the doors with the engine running and in "P" Shocked

any foughts Thumbs Up

Post #111691113th Jun 2013 10:44 pm
J12Engineering

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
Hope you find the same thing as I did. You have to dig deep into the loom to find the offending wire...

I did! What can I say, other than we salute you Bow down and I love Disco3.co.uk and its members. You resemble a beacon of light leading the way Thumbs Up

Once I had removed the trim, and the loom protector, it was apparent even before I lifted the loom that all was not well - lots of pale blue coloured dust which I have seen many times in my life and I am acutely aware if the by-product of copper corrosion. Whilst it was as a dry as a bone, it was clear that there had been water in the cable trough at some point in its life. When I lifted the loom the lowest thing was the blue insultation taped joint; as soon as I touched the single cable it was apparent that it was not connected inside the joint. Rolling Eyes

I peeled back the insulation tape and cut back the wires as far as I dare. The twin cables at the front of the joint were shortened by 4 inches and the single rear by approximately 18 inches; both still had black cores! recognising I was not going to find clean strands, with the aid of some 240grit wet & dry I carefully cleaned them up to shiny copper to offer a fighting chance of the solder adhering to them. Using my hottest iron, along with flux cored solder I managed to get the new wire to fuse with the old. Insulation tape followed by heat shrink completed the repair. A confirmatory start and multiple gear selections confirmed the fault was gone. Below are a few images of my loom.

Frankly I think we should have a duplicate thread running with a synopsis of this fault and entitle it: "Do this simple repair before it catches you out!" One could argue that it is so poor in design that LR should actually do a recall on it. How many people have squandered thousands of pounds replacing gearboxes, ECUs etc in an effort to resolve this unusual fault?

Once again to the lead contributors of this thread - Disco_mikey, Gareth and NoDo$h - thank you very much. Thumbs Up

Post #111738514th Jun 2013 11:23 pm
alexapps1

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 3
Well and truly fed up

Managed to get the car apart, that piece of trim under the main sill trim was very difficult to remove. I’ve spend hours going through the loom under there and can not find a splice joint in this location at all. Very very frustrated, does anyone know if some cars just don’t have the joint?

There are a couple of joints around 1 in the photo, but none that are the right colour, but just nothing around 2.

Post #18446256th Aug 2017 4:26 pm
alexapps1

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Anyone? Please help! This is driving me crazy Sad. Really don’t want to put the whole thing back together and not have solved this 🙁🙁

Post #18446566th Aug 2017 6:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You have to cut off all the black binding tape, and it's quite far forward in the loom, almost adjacent with the bottom of the A pillar trim where your bonnet release is. Keep looking, it's there but deep in the middle of the loom.

Post #18447186th Aug 2017 8:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >