Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

White smoke
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AlbertoA

Italy 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4
White smoke

Good morning everyone. I am writing from Italy about a problem with my Disc 4 HSE from 2015. I bought the used car on December 2019, it had 87,000 km. It looked like a car in perfect condition. But it turned out not to be such a lucky purchase. After a few weeks (with less than 3,000 km travelled in the city) something broke inside the engine and I had to take it to a Bosch workshop. Here they replaced the engine and overhauled the secondary turbine.

I skip the minor mechanical problems I had in the following months.

A year after the engine had been replaced, I reported to the mechanics (both Bosch and Land Rover) the oil consumption: more than half a kilo in 5,000 km. Ten days later (while the car was in the Land Rover workshop led by the foreman) there was a huge black smoke: the engine had melted, so they replaced the engine again.

In the following months everything finally seemed to be going well. I drove 6,000 km, almost all of them in the city. But unfortunately another problem has come up. On three occasions I noticed a large cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust with the engine hot and during a sudden acceleration (the video is here ). At home I checked the oil level: it had dropped by two notches. The coolant level, on the other hand, was still.

I immediately took the car back to the Bosch workshop and they did all possible checks but they found nothing. They also checked if the new engine is fitted with the new turbine oil drain hose as indicated in the Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB00487v6 - 09 jun 2015: the hose is the correct one.

Eventually I didn’t come across any other kind of problem, except white smoke only in case of strong and sudden acceleration. I don't know what to think and I'm very worried. Any ideas? Thank you.

Post #227956918th Feb 2022 12:25 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Found this previous forum item, and I believe there may be others. May be of assistance and given the work that's been done on your car this explanation seems quite possible. Worth a check.
You've been through a lot by the sound of it, so good luck:

https://www.disco4.com/forum/smokes-like-s...hite+smoke
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #227963618th Feb 2022 4:57 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

white smoke...italy...new pope...sorry...hope you get it sorted

Post #227971419th Feb 2022 1:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You say your D4 is 2015 so that should have the secondary turbo oil return pipe modification to stop the oil from being burned under hard acceleration, I would be taking the car back and insisting they put it right , hope you get it sorted soon,

Post #227977319th Feb 2022 3:30 pm
Gary_P

I wonder if they put an older engine with the old turbo drain back in the car? Is that possible?
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #227978519th Feb 2022 4:28 pm
AlbertoA

Thank you all for your answers.
I know very well the oil drain pipe problem. As I wrote, the foreman said that the engine was already upgraded with the new hoose. Anyway tomorrow I'll try to check on my own whether there's the right kind of pipe or not.
I'll keep you updated

Have a nice one

Post #227987320th Feb 2022 12:07 am
AlbertoA

Just to keep you up to date about the development of the situation: there was no need to check the pipe on my own, because one of the pictures (taken from the last engine-inspection by the mechanic) clearly shows that the new pipe is set on the turbo.
At this point, I have no clue about where the issue might be.

Here's the photo.

Post #228008721st Feb 2022 2:13 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Possibly a faulty oil level sensor in the sump and the engine is overfilled with oil. If so it will periodically pool in the crankcase breather and be sucked into the turbo.

Drain the oil and see how much is in there, then you can at least rule that out. If you get more than 5.7/9 litres out it's overfilled.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #228010221st Feb 2022 5:29 pm
AlbertoA

Good evening everyone. I'm going to explain what happened in the latest days. I finally found another Land Rover workshop (in a goddamn place faraway from my home Laughing ), where they were able to identify, without a doubt, the problem: the secondary turbo is about to collapse. The mechanic found a lot of oil in the pipes. I will have to replace the turbo with a new one. It turned out to be the same turbo that they overhauled at the time of the first engine's replacement. I was suggested to leave there my car (due to the gravity of the situation) and I had to get back home by a lift, by taxi and by train. Let's hope for more luck. Thank y'all.

Post #22816302nd Mar 2022 9:54 pm
Gary_P

Sorry to hear of your problems, although I'm glad you are making progress. Thanks for reporting back with details of what was found.
Good luck
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22816522nd Mar 2022 11:22 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

When I had a partial turbo failure on a 2010 D4 several years ago, the Indi that I used said that there’s very little that can be done to repair them due to the turbo manufacturer stitching JLR up, as the associated electrics can’t be programmed to the car if they’ve been tampered with. If that’s true (and I can’t personally comment) then that’s possibly why you had continued issues.

Post #22817053rd Mar 2022 10:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >