Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Whining resonance under acceleration.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Baloo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Whining resonance under acceleration.

Have just got my car back, an 07 automatic 24000 miles, after having the dealer investigate an intermittent whine that occurs under acceleration coming in at about 1800rpm until 2500rpm or thereabouts. I first noticed it pulling away on a steep hill, where it was very noticeable and could be felt as a slight resonance through the steering wheel, but it also occurs in general driving, though not as noticeably. At first they couldn't hear anything but eventually they managed to replicate it and have moved a brake pipe that was resonating on a heat shield. This has changed nothing and the noise is still there.
I'm inclined to let it develop but would be interested to know if any other member has had the same problem, but of course one become tuned into it and it is bugging me now. I would be pleased if a solution could be found before, if in the worst case scenario, something goes pop! So, if there is anybody out there?
Thanks in hope.

Post #36167918th Oct 2008 10:13 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It could be the aircon system. Mine makes a similar noise, its very faint, but once you have tuned into it it is there most of the time. It is an engine speed related whine, loudest at about 1800rpm.

The big clue is, if I turn the ac off or set it to econ, the noise immediately disappears.

I think it is more likely to be a resonance of pipes rather than a faulty ac compressor, as it can only be heard inside the car. The outside of the vehicle sounds perfectly normal.

I have lived with the noise for ages, tbh it is very faint and does not really bother me.

Post #36168318th Oct 2008 10:18 am
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Baloo; Take a look at my post which I posted yesterday, it sounds as if you could have the same problem, rev's 1800 yeah sounds about the same as mine, anyway have a look and let me know. Thumbs Up
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #36174218th Oct 2008 4:08 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I've got one I can feel through the steering wheel, 1800 rpm, uphill, cold engine, 2nd gear (auto).

I think it is the 2nd gear cluster and I am monitoring it - 7 months warranty to go....

BTW I cured a 2100rpm sympathetic vibration which sounded like a loose exhaust silencer baffle (but there aren't any...). After dealers checked all the heat shields to no avail - I found it was the horn, which is on a rather floppy bracket. Just remove the front grille and "twang" it.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #36175118th Oct 2008 4:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Floppy horn Shocked is there a tsb for that Question

Post #36175318th Oct 2008 4:40 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Don't tell EVERYONE I pull my front kit off and twang my floppy horn!! Shocked Shocked Whistle Whistle

Quote:
is there a tsb for that

No - just aversion therapy Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #36175818th Oct 2008 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baloo

My noise seems to be coming from the front offside, but I wouldn't call it a scream much more subtle than that.
Nevertheless it shouldn't happen on a 35 grand car that claims to be utilitarian. Also if it was the 2nd gear cluster surely the noise would be coming from the gearbox, my whine seems more front axle than gearbox, but then again who knows? Certainly not the dealer I went to. Perhaps "they all do that, Sir".
I WILL get to the bottom of it! I hope.

Post #36187418th Oct 2008 11:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Could it be the diff??
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #36187718th Oct 2008 11:11 pm
Baloo

That's what I'm worried about, so basically I will have to let it develop unless any members have the definitive answer. But you get a bit paranoid about the ability and enthusiasm of the dealers to get things sorted and at the very least discuss the potential problem.
Here's hoping that this forum helps me get to the bottom of it.

Post #36195419th Oct 2008 8:56 am
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I had a constant whine from the passenger side front - dropped SWMBO off at the store and the whine stopped immediately.

Think I may have found my problem Whistle Whistle Whistle
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #36205819th Oct 2008 4:59 pm
NJF

Gareth wrote:
It could be the aircon system. Mine makes a similar noise, its very faint, but once you have tuned into it it is there most of the time. It is an engine speed related whine, loudest at about 1800rpm.

The big clue is, if I turn the ac off or set it to econ, the noise immediately disappears.

Thanks, Gareth. That's a very timely post, because I've noticed that noise over the past few months and was beginning to worry that the front diff was on the way out. As you said, it disappears when I switch the aircon off.

Post #36213819th Oct 2008 8:34 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine has had the same whine from new, more noticable on hills. Monitoring it, ..............still there.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36214019th Oct 2008 8:48 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Baloo wrote:
That's what I'm worried about, so basically I will have to let it develop unless any members have the definitive answer. But you get a bit paranoid about the ability and enthusiasm of the dealers to get things sorted and at the very least discuss the potential problem.
Here's hoping that this forum helps me get to the bottom of it.

problem is Baloo that the majority of dealers haven't got any enthusiasm and consequently their ability is matched by this.Frustrating as Censored .But inevitably the answer turns up here though.

I've had the whine for a long time now , prominant on hill climbs when the engines cold.Have had transmission shunt since day one aswell.Im at 166 k klms ( june 06).

Last edited by Wex on 19th Oct 2008 9:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #36215819th Oct 2008 9:24 pm
philthejono

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have exactly the same and have had since I got the car (was 12-months old, 5k miles at time). Dealer heard it when it went in for some other bits, no idea what it was. Again, seems to be there most when enginer cold and going up a hill. Had assumed it was just some cold metal resonance type thing.

Of more annoyance is a screaching sounds that started recently and is coming from either the rear or front nearside wheel (hard to tell which). Intermitant, but seems to occur most when the camber on the road changes, so the car is leaning slightly to the drivers side. Was searching for any other references to such a thing when I came across this thread. So answers to either appreciated.
 11 HSE Santorini Black  
Post #36216019th Oct 2008 9:24 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

bearing on its way out

Post #36216919th Oct 2008 9:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >