Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Whining resonance under acceleration.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
cte

Wales 

My automatic 34,000 miler is also doing the same whining noise as it accelerates through a band about 15 to 20 mph in similar circumstances ( uphill and cold start ). It's due for annual service in the next month and i will mention it then to dealer.

Post #36297821st Oct 2008 7:10 pm
Baloo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have tried dropping SWMBO at the shops, I'll grant you it is quieter but it is still there.

Post #36360423rd Oct 2008 12:06 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

<humour>

Check out the letters on the front of the bonnet - if it reads L-A-N-D-R-O-V-E-R, in that order, it's supposed to make strange random noises. It's been part of the design since 1948 apparently. The manufacturer started to fit louder radios in the 1970s as a solution to the problem Wink

</humour>
Whistle
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #36366423rd Oct 2008 8:50 am
TheDonster

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I just came back from my dealer yesterday with the same noise gremlin. Truck was in for the 36k service and I asked them to check the belts. They replaced them saying they were ready to change but lo and behold the noise is still there. I've noticed temperature plays a factor. I have indoor heated parking at work and the truck sounds normal inside the garage until it's exposed to the cold for about 3-5 minutes, then the noise starts and is constant. When leaving from home where it's parked outside, the noise starts immediately upon any acceleration. Lift off the gas pedal and it stops. This noise is not to be confused with the heater fan that makes an ungodly whirring noise when cold until the interior heats up. Thank goodness the heater is one of the best I've ever seen!

Options that I see for now: Ignore it like Gareth and turn up the volume; move to Florida or Arizona; drive only in the summer months and living in Canada that's a real bear! Hope someone comes up with a solution to this one cause I doubt the dealer will. Big Cry

Post #36409124th Oct 2008 1:58 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I also have similar symptoms however mine are only present when air-con compressor is ON . It has become louder with the vehicles age (nearly 3yrs) and i will discuss with dealer in a couple of weeks. I don't recall any/many air-con compressor failures reported here... Question
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #36409324th Oct 2008 2:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TheDonster wrote:
I just came back from my dealer yesterday with the same noise gremlin. Truck was in for the 36k service and I asked them to check the belts. They replaced them saying they were ready to change but lo and behold the noise is still there. I've noticed temperature plays a factor. I have indoor heated parking at work and the truck sounds normal inside the garage until it's exposed to the cold for about 3-5 minutes, then the noise starts and is constant. When leaving from home where it's parked outside, the noise starts immediately upon any acceleration. Lift off the gas pedal and it stops. This noise is not to be confused with the heater fan that makes an ungodly whirring noise when cold until the interior heats up. Thank goodness the heater is one of the best I've ever seen!

Options that I see for now: Ignore it like Gareth and turn up the volume; move to Florida or Arizona; drive only in the summer months and living in Canada that's a real bear! Hope someone comes up with a solution to this one cause I doubt the dealer will. Big Cry

Could be the engine fan. Makes lot of noise when it engages but shouldn't engage in the cold. Could be faulty?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #36409524th Oct 2008 5:42 am
Baloo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have to say, now it has been mentioned, as the temperatures have started to drop this autumn the noise has become more pronounced. Or has it? That's the trouble with these sorts of noises, you can't help become tuned into it, as the realisation of a potential huge bill looms if you are out of warranty, which thankfully I have 18 months left. Could it be the oil used in the diff or elsewhere in the transmission that is thicker at a colder temperature.
Irrespective, you shouldn't have these issues on a car that can cost upwards of £40,000.
My air conditioning being on or off has no affect either way.

Post #36412024th Oct 2008 8:33 am
jimbo81

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a similar whine when pulling away, especially uphill or with heavy trailer. I've just assumed its a whine from the gearbox under heavy load. spoke to dealer about it, but its hard to convince them when it won't replicate it's self when you 'go for a drive' with them - on flat roads - with no trailer.. Rolling Eyes

However, i did have a second, more gravelly whine which only made it's self heard when slowing down under engine braking - when i took it to the dealer on this occasion, it turned out to be the front diff - which they replaced under warrenty. Very Happy
 You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.  
Post #36447624th Oct 2008 8:56 pm
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same problem - while under waranty and was told it was the main belts which wasnt covered and they wanted £200+vat to change - I couldnt be bothered as it wasnt that bad and didnt trust the Stealer.

After 6 months the whine got so bad and I ended up investigating it myself - it was the the idler /tensioner it cost me £28 and scraped knucles to swap. There was nothing wrong with belt which only costs £12.50

It took me under an hour to change and I have very limited experience a dealer or mechanic would be able to swap the idler and belt in 30 minutes

Yours may be something very different, however, it does soulnd the same as my experience.

Thanks
Duncan

PM me if you want to contact me for advice
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #36451124th Oct 2008 9:47 pm
crazy

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Duncster: also your noise stopped extinguishing the conditioned air?
Thanks.
Ciao
 Landy lover
Membro del Club 

Post #55008312th Nov 2009 1:01 pm
jdea

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Could this be the issue....
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0cycle.pdf

Post #55112214th Nov 2009 1:30 am
rinkydink

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Vibration in second gear

I appear to have the same issue here on my 07 discovery, shimmering vibration in 2nd gear (manual) when under load and accelorating, felt through steering wheel. Did anybody ever get to the bottom of this issue? I've changes the tyres and all the oils but no difference. Lots of people seem to have this issue, but no fix as yet Question

Post #8555896th Nov 2011 10:15 am
Migster

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I sometimes get a Whiney noise when I'm accelerating. It comes from the front passenger seat. I can stop it by asking my wife to shut up.
John
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/8851994@N05/sets/  
Post #8555916th Nov 2011 10:27 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

ridgeback_moor wrote:
<humour>
Check out the letters on the front of the bonnet - if it reads L-A-N-D-R-O-V-E-R, in that order, it's supposed to make strange random noises. It's been part of the design since 1948 apparently. Wink
</humour>
Whistle

The art is knowing which SRN (Strange Random Noise) to ignore and which to worry about. I think I am monitoring about 5 SRNs at present, all hopefully going nowhere. Keeps me alert on long journeys imagining all the possible mechanical causes for these noises - never need the radio / CD / iPod; just lost in a world of barely inaudible buzzes, squeaks, whines and rattles.

I did hear (and this is a request for myth-busting / fact confirmation) that either LR themselves or one particular dealer have/has come up with a sonic analyser Shocked which has a transducer (=microphone) strapped to the chassis and which then analyses all the noises (tyre tread or wheel bearing?.... universal joint or suspension arm? .... belt idler or alternator? etc etc) and tells you clearly which noise is what.

Anyone else heard of this or had it done?

Or do we have to design and build one? .......................................Colin!!!!!!!!!

Andrew
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #8556226th Nov 2011 12:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >