Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Which battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
mccastro

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Which battery

Done the Traxide thing ,positioned the relay, done the wiring,fitted the plugs, just got to connect up to battery.Can i ask you guys for some guidance here as to which is most apropriate as an Aux battery, and also will fit the aux battery shelf.Its seems there's not a lot of room due to the brake fluid reservoir.
 M Caddy  
Post #7437109th Jan 2011 2:28 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The Optima Yellow Top slots straight in.

I have a Varta 60 A/h fitted, but I don't recall the Part No.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #7437149th Jan 2011 4:39 am
mccastro

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
What model battery

Has any body got part numbers for Optima yellow or Odyssey batteries that fit the Aux battery position or any other ?.Need numbers so i can check size before i order. Cheers MikeC.
 M Caddy  
Post #7441189th Jan 2011 10:35 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

it's the D34 for the YT. Just make sure you get the one WITHOUT the side terminals Thumbs Up

Then just get the Aux Battery clamp & bolts only a few pounds from LR Dealer Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7441269th Jan 2011 10:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco3 Gert

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Went to my local dealer to get the aux battery bracket and they could not find it on their system - as expected - anybody knows what the LR part number is for the battery bracket?
 current: Disco 3 TDV6 SE, fitted: 265/65/17 BFG, NL Dual Battery, Onboard compressor, frontrunner towbar.
old: Defender 110 2.8i 

Post #74548712th Jan 2011 3:43 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

TBH I think that it's the same bracket as for the starting battery, but check with TLO to be certain.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #74585513th Jan 2011 3:06 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think it IS the same as the main battery, BUT it must be the bracket for the LHD (or RHD if you're in a LHD country). These are the part numbers:

YJF500100 is the LHD bracket (which I believe is what you'll need if you're in a RHD country)
YJF500110 is the RHD bracket

I haven't done the aux battery thing yet though, so it's best confirm with Tim or anyone else who's installed an aux battery

Post #74586413th Jan 2011 6:48 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Everything is in here unlessthey've changed part numbers.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic21478.h...oup+%2Bbuy

Specifically...

UK people with the wheel (and hole for optima) on the right side of the car need a LHD battery bracket (stay with me here) as you want a bracket to fit the side where the battery WOULD be on a left hand drive car. This is YFJ500100.

European/Left hand drive people, have a hole for a battery on the left of your car, where the battery would be on a right hand drive car. So you need a RHD drive bracket which is I believe YFJ500110.

If you think about it, where the standard battery on an EU car is, is the bracket the UK people want (a LHD bracket), the hole on the EU cars is on the left, where a standard battery is for a UK car, so you need a RHD bracket.

UK Spec Vehicle
battery bracket LYJF500100
Bolt flanged H LXYG000051
Bolt battery C LXYG500061
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #74590813th Jan 2011 10:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2DISCO3ORNOT

Red Top Neutral

Post #74592013th Jan 2011 11:15 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

2Disc, RedTop is mre suited to cranking battery than an Aux, although can be used, but YT is generally more appropriate.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #74592313th Jan 2011 11:18 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bodsy - Am I right in understanding that the Yellow Top (which I have) is capable of standing fully discharged for a while without degradation, or is that a myth too far? The situation might come up....

Whilst I am asking questions, is there a better high-current, polarised 12v plug/socket system than the Anderson? That's readily UK-available?

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #74596313th Jan 2011 12:15 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I wouldn't say it' recommended at all, but it is able to recover quicker/easier than traditonal lead/acid/calcium batteries.

Drivesafe may be able to advise moretechnically on that. but certainly the YT (and RT) optima's are much more resilient to abuse than traditional wet cell batteries.

'Better' than Anderson in what way? Looks, style, connection, funtionality?

Anderson connectors are pretty robut & std connectors. Widely available. Do you have a specific or unique application you want to use it for?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #74596613th Jan 2011 12:20 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hmm - I guessed so. There was some mention that you could leave a YT dead flat for weeks, no problem. Sounds like a free lunch tale to me - no such thing. The plan was to leave the vehicle as a radio re-broadcast station on a hill-top, and maybe not come back to it for a while. Probably won't happen, but it would have been a good test-bed for MR purposes.

Better than Anderson... well - they seem clunky and "development engineering" rather than a "production engineering" product... I must admit to not having detected the free availability in the UK. There doesn't seem to be a surface-mount socket, and I was hoping for the impossible in having "one size fits all". All purposes, that is. (You don't want radios and lights on a flying 50A plug, but radios can pull 30A; "cigar" lighter systems are 10A, poor in vibrating environments (and where cable tension might dislodge) and not up to powerful radio transmissions; Andersons come in different sizes...

It's not a particular "set" use, but to have a lot of 12v kit on one standard connector. Not going to happen, I guess.

I think I'll end up with a couple of 50A in the cab and a 175A at the rear (for tools, possible jump starts and maybe a demountable winch {movable front to rear]). And then a 50A-to-4-cigar-sockets distribution board for all the cr@p, lights, chargers, fridges &c&c. Of course everybody else's kit seems to be on a cigar plug...

A

I've spent too long thinking about it and not buying!!
Embarassed
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #74622313th Jan 2011 7:21 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Which battery

mccastro wrote:
Done the Traxide thing ,positioned the relay, done the wiring,fitted the plugs, just got to connect up to battery.Can i ask you guys for some guidance here as to which is most apropriate as an Aux battery, and also will fit the aux battery shelf.Its seems there's not a lot of room due to the brake fluid reservoir.

Yellow top all the way Mr. Green

Post #74625813th Jan 2011 8:50 pm
geoff.

England 

just got a decent price on one of these from griffin batteries

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTERY-EXIDE-MAXXIM...256031f0f3

geoff

Post #74626713th Jan 2011 9:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >