Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Wheels and tyres for dune bashing and rocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hot n' Dusty

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Wheels and tyres for dune bashing and rocks

First time poster, so please bear with me if this has been asked an answered before!

I have standard 19 inch rims with 275/55 R19s on them, and they really don't look right when let down to 18psi. I fear for the sidewalls, and besides they are road-biased. I understand from these pages that the brake disks on a V8 HSE preclude fitting anything smaller than 18 inch rims, so ideally I'd like to get a set of 18s with tyres better suited to hooning around the desert, and preferably with a near-identical circumference to the originals.
Suggestions please???
 2008 LR3 V8 HSE, Black with all the toys.  
Post #3691835th Nov 2008 11:53 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just search or read through this section - been asked many times before.

There are many choices of 18" A/T tyres in suitable sizes: General Grabber AT2, Nitto Terra Grappler, Nitto Dune Grappler, Cooper Zeon LTZ etc

Post #3694805th Nov 2008 10:21 pm
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

Welcome Hot n' Dusty! Don't worry, I've run the Good Year 19" wheels at 15psi all day with no damage (and down to 10psi when in need). They actually do well enough in the sand for me! Also no punctures in Wadi/gravel terrain yet - the only puncture I've had was from a screw, and repaired with no problems. Thumbs Up

I haven't put enough mileage on the car to warrant switching tyres yet, but when I do I'll probably be looking at the Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/55-19.

The most popular 19" tyre in the forum by far for offroad work is the Good Year Wrangler MT-R, but I don't think it would be a great choice in the sand because it has stiff sidewalls (no flotation) and a tread pattern that would "dig". If you're going to be doing mostly rocky/wadi conditions though it probably can't be beat!

(sorry I know this doesn't answer your 18" question, but it's worth staying on the 19 for a while until you're certain that they're no good for you IMO)

Post #3697116th Nov 2008 11:02 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I used to have 18" AT2's. I now have 19" MTR's. IMHO I have found very little difference in the sand at around and below 20 psi. The sidewalls are only 2 ply with a 5 ply thread so they have reasonable flex.
In saying that I found the AT2's to be an extremely good AT style tyre (the best I've had). Smile
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #3697166th Nov 2008 11:13 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Desert Traveller wrote:
I used to have 18" AT2's. I now have 19" MTR's. IMHO I have found very little difference in the sand at around and below 20 psi. The sidewalls are only 2 ply with a 5 ply thread so they have reasonable flex.
In saying that I found the AT2's to be an extremely good AT style tyre (the best I've had). Smile

I agree with regards to the GG AT2's. Had them on a Rangie, and they are great. Thumbs Up

As matter of interest, I am thinking of getting a second set of rims and tyres for off road.

What is the going rate for the 18" AT2's and 19" MTR's.

I got quoted $700/tyre for the MTR's balanced and fitted, but have not phoned around yet.
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #3697306th Nov 2008 12:06 pm
Hot n' Dusty

Many thanks for the positive responses.
She who must be ignored would prefer me to stick to 19s, so I guess I'll make do for now and work on technique and perhaps some adjustment of my deflators (perfect the first time I used them, then I lent them to someone else, and next time I used I ended up with 7psi in one tyre...). I'll be very interested to hear how the Scorpions work out, though won't a narrower tyre give less floatation than standard?
In the meantime, for those who are intested in how stuck I got last Monday when I ended up leading our group on only my second time in the desert, have a look at www.flickr.com/photos/jamiej/

And edited to add.....I got the standard tyre size wrong of course! Not 275s, but 255/55 R19.
Post #3698236th Nov 2008 3:11 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hot 'n Dusty: A tip for driving in soft sand is to switch off DSC - even when in 'sand' mode. This really helps.

Post #3704247th Nov 2008 7:35 pm
Hot n' Dusty

Thanks Jonty - I'll try DSC off for more than just long climbs then! On Sunday, my group took a run up Camel Rock which is full throttle all the way so I used DSC off and auto box in sport mode to keep the revs up (TRS in sand mode obviously!) and made it up at the second attempt which was better than the rest of them! After 20 minutes or so waiting for the guy in the Pajero, I phoned him from the top to ask if he'd switched off his traction control. Needless to say, his next attempt was successful.

Which brings forth another question. Does DSC off fully turn off traction control? It seemed to me that power was still being cut with it off. What effect does disabling DSC have on TRS? Also, is there any way of locking the centre diff other than relying on TRS to do it for me?
Post #3704537th Nov 2008 8:51 pm
Squirrel

United Arab Emirates 2014 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR4

Welcome H'nD to desert driving in the UAE!

I know we've moved topic, but in my experience, the best setting for driving in the desert here (dune bashing) is with the DSC off, low range, Sand mode and using the manual shift to moderate the revs (and save a massive amount of fuel).

The DSC never fully switches off, and it comes back to life in a rather dramatic way when you "surf" the dunes, traversing sideways with a bit of speed / momentum - the sensors sense a rollover and everything intervenes -suspension wants to lower, DSC chatters away madly, and dashboard pings away at you with all sorts of warnings. Rather distracting and NOT helpful when you need max power available, and a nice stable suspension platform to keep the vehicle steady. [Blame the US lawyers for trying to protect their consumers!]

I've fitted 285/55x18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres and they do tend to float better than the OEM's. I've seen others fitted with 275/50x19 working well too. Very close to original circumference, and will fit in sparewheel-well too.

Cheers

Post #37969227th Nov 2008 8:32 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I know it's a bit off this thread but would I be right in saying that the UAE Desert Challenge's date is going to change for 2009 Question Question

What a great event, missed this year but hope to be over net year. Thumbs Up

Bet the temp is just about right now.

Andy.

Post #37974427th Nov 2008 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hot n' Dusty

One of my colleagues was supposed to be going to view part of the Desert Challenge, and borrowed my Maxtrax sand ladders to try them out that day, and somehow his Disco 2 died and ended his day prematurely. I'm still trying to find out how he killed it...

Thanks for the post Squirrel. I hadn't thought of using low range except for getting unstuck - for downhills I've been using HDC, especially when the wife is driving... I've noticed the pings for "suspension will lower" already! I've heard that the software can be altered to raise the speed at which the threat appears, though I imagine there are warranty issues. Rather than low range to moderate the revs, I've been using sport mode in high range on occasion, to keep the revs and power up for long uphills.

If Hernan is reading this, get in touch! My crew may be heading out in a few days!
Post #38010827th Nov 2008 11:04 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Hi HotnDusty

Have just completed the Oman Wahiba Challenge desert crossing (east to west) with my heavy weight LR3 (ARB steel bumpers front & rear, winch + Long Ranger auxiliary tank). This was a 2 day event with a total distance of 170km from entry to exit point. Car was shod with Goodyear MTs 255x55x19 (borrowed from the local Land Rover Dealer for the event) and run at 12psi on sand. No problems and no tyre pop-offs. Another member of the team ran his LR3 on standard fit tyres at 12 psi and apart from picking up a puncture on the way out, had no problems either.
Believe me, the sand was really soft in the majority and there were some pretty decent dunes to cross. Our main problems were the grass hillocks littering the plains which prevented a decent run up to the dunes. Raw power was needed and running in low 2nd and 3rd with DSC off seemed fine. Fuel consumption overall was 1 litre per km!!!!
For my own needs I'm trying to source some RRS 19" rims (they're 1" wider) and allow the fit of 285 section which just spreads the load on sand a bit more.

Post #38016928th Nov 2008 7:07 am
JZ

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Biggest tires???

glad to see that the cars are actually being used. Living in the bay area most are city cars only. I was aware that the 285s will help but was actually trying to find out if ayone has found something bigger for their LR3.

Does anyone know what the largest tire is that will fit the LR3 (hieght/width) without any serious modifications and to avoid rubbing and or gear ratios?

cheers

JZ

Post #3841726th Dec 2008 8:26 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

There is a thread under Wheels and Tyres on the Forum that doers just that.

Post #3843497th Dec 2008 6:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >