Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Wheel spacers - torque settings ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Wheel spacers - torque settings ??

Just received my nice new shiny TerraFirmer wheel spacers - before I take jack and sockets to the ol' girl, any advice on torque settings ??

Is there any need to use a compound such a 'Loctite' on the spacer nuts ??

Cheers Whistle

Post #82869325th Aug 2011 12:24 pm
al cope

England 

are they so thick that you bolt the spacers to the hub first, and then the wheels to a set of studs coming out of the spacers?

Normal wheelnut torque is 140Nm.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #82870025th Aug 2011 12:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maplecottage

Yes - spacers are 30mm thick and have 5 studs and 5 holes so presumably, bolt spacer to hub through provided holes and nuts. Bolt wheel to spacer on 'new' studs.

Post #82871325th Aug 2011 1:15 pm
al cope

England 

OK - and nothing provided with the spacers about the torque? I guess a quick call to the suppliers/manufacturers would be best.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #82872125th Aug 2011 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maplecottage

.. only thing supplied was the invoice Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #82872225th Aug 2011 1:46 pm
chocolademan

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

maplecottage wrote:
.. only thing supplied was the invoice Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Same with mine! How inconsiderate! Laughing
 Faultmate MSV2 MultiVehicle
D3: Tailgate Actuator DIY: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...IY%7E0.pdf 

Post #82875325th Aug 2011 3:18 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I sat and pondered this for a while when mine arrived.

As the nuts that now fit onto the LR studs are smaller but with the same internel hole size, and don't have the stud passing all the way through them, engineering tradition would require a lower torque than the big LR nuts. Question is - how much lower? I've taken off 20% and they have neither stripped, nor fallen off.

"Locktite" would be a good idea, unless you intend taking the spacers off regularly, when it all becomes too much of a farce.

What worries me is not being able to check the tightness of these inner nuts without taking wheels off. However, I have never found then to be loose after a weekend with the off-road wheels fitted.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #82879125th Aug 2011 4:49 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I thought the guideline was check them after the first 500 miles, then you're good to go. Not sure though. What brand are they?
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #82890925th Aug 2011 11:00 pm
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3

[quote="Navigator"]As the nuts that now fit onto the LR studs are smaller but with the same internel hole size, and don't have the stud passing all the way through them, engineering tradition would require a lower torque than the big LR nuts. Question is - how much lower? I've taken off 20% and they have neither stripped, nor fallen off.

Same internal hole size + same thread = same torque required.

Torque is not set by the size of the nut, but by things like the pitch of the thread, the yeild stress of the stud, and - if you want to get anal the co-efficient of friction (different grease = different torque)

Personally I owuldn't use wheel spacers, but in the scenario described I do not believe torque figures would need to change.

Post #8321476th Sep 2011 3:01 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

It is more the yield stress of the nut that concerns me. In the only two failures I've seen, a couple of the nuts had split. Also, there is a much shorter length of nut thread in contact with the stud as part of the stud is used up by the spacer. In fact, the nuts that came with my spacers only go half-way onto the studs.

The real solution would be wheels with a different offset - but where could one get such a thing?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #8322016th Sep 2011 4:57 pm
maplecottage

They're on - torqued up to the 2 grunt level Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

All seems OK Whistle

Post #8322376th Sep 2011 5:53 pm
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Navigator I take your point,

in a properly designed nut and stud arrangement the stressed cross-sectional area of the threads on the nut should be equal to or greater than the stud's cross-sectoin. Put simply the stud should always go first, there are also design things around hardness etc, a surprising amount of science goes into nuts and bolts. But like I said I see where you're coming from, i.e moved away from original design spec - another reason I wouldn't fit spacers.

Maplecottage, I see you've applied the international standard of TWK (three white knuckles)

Post #8322986th Sep 2011 7:36 pm
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Old thread but to help others in the future.

As per TF instructions

Put the car into gear and apply the hand brake, loosen front wheel nuts, raise vehicle on a jack and then support the front axle on axle stands.
Remove the front wheels.
Bolt the wheel spacer / adaptor to the hub using the new wheel nuts supplied and torque the nuts to 130Nm or 96lb/ft.
When both sides are done fit the new wheels lower the car off of the axle stands and torque the wheel nuts to 140Nm or 103lb/ft.
Loosen rear wheel nuts, raise vehicle on a jack and then support the rear axle on axle stands.
Remove the rear wheels.
Bolt the wheel spacer / adaptor to the hub using the new wheel nuts supplied and torque the nuts to 130Nm or 96lb/ft.
When both sides are done refit wheels lower the car off of the axle stands and torque the wheel nuts to 140Nm or 103lb/ft.

Post #227590030th Jan 2022 3:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >