Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Wheel bearing or not wheel bearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
development_cycle

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Wheel bearing or not wheel bearing

Ok, so this won’t be the first time that I’ve thought I had a wheel bearing fail and it turned out to be something else. I’ve had a seized caliper and a failed epb both presenting with what I thought was the warning signs of a wheel bearing.

Yesterday, the most recent issue has me questioning again if it’s the wheel bearing or not.

I decided to pull over and get recovered due to the grinding heat and smells coming from the front driver side. But before I do the wheel bearing now, is it normal for the ABS light, DSC light, HDC warning messages to come on, be unable to adjust the suspension height and for all special programs to disable after firing up the engine, and for the suspension itself to have put itself into a very low height?

What I’m thinking is, do I even bother doing the wheel bearing if all of this stuff is still there afterwards and the car is no different.

Any advice greatly appreciated, if you don’t know and just fancy a stab in the dark, please keep it to yourself, I’m a bloody expert at that myself 🙂

Post #193000625th Mar 2018 10:50 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Best thing to do is jack the suspending wheel up and check for play in the bearing, then you'll know for sure if it is the bearing.
I had a bearing fail my last MoT, but had not noticed any issues with the bearing when driving. But it was very loose when jacked up. The tester was surprised when I said I didn't notice an issue when driving it, so went for a short test run and agreed.

I had no fault lights or suspension issues.

Your heat and grinding noise sounds more like a brake caliper issue to me. But that's not to say the bearing isn't faulty as well.

Post #193013025th Mar 2018 4:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >