Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 142 of 282 <123 ... 141142143 ... 280281282>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Today it was Diane. Who? You may well ask. I assume that's her name as the number plate on the white Jag EPace she was driving was "A D14NES". OK, the illegally spaced plate is a goat getter-up in itself, but what did it today was the way she pulled out of a side road on to a 60mph road and then accelerated to the eye-watering speed of 35mph. And then crawled along at little more than that. Why is this a problem? Because if I hadn't braked quite hard, she'd have had 2.5t of LR accelerating her Jaaaaaag a bit faster than she was managing to.

Censored
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #226480730th Nov 2021 6:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Got dashcam footage? If so bung it on da soshal meediu. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #226480830th Nov 2021 6:04 pm
Batfink

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A chap on the Focus page I’m on on Facebook had his ST written off by such an act yesterday. Guy in his 70’s pulled out of a side turning right in front of him onto a 50mph road. Not a hope in hell of him avoiding him.

Once he had finished tearing him a new one his response was that he thought he would slow down to let him out. People like that should not be on the road. Most of the time oblivious to everything around them.
 2006 TdV6 HSE.  
Post #226481030th Nov 2021 6:08 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Bit like the woman that pulled out in front of me a few years ago, giving me the choice of going into her side or a street light. Her “excuse” was “I didn’t see you, you’re driving a silver car and the clouds are white”! Seriously, you didn’t look you daft bat! Besides, my silver car stood out perfectly against the green trees!

Post #226481130th Nov 2021 6:12 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This sort of thing seems to be happening more often than usual ( has COVID, and reduced driving for a lot of people, caused an inability to judge distance ie. when pulling out from side roads ?) I had a stupid woman pull out from a side road and STOP right in front of me, I had a job to stop within a foot from her car door. I also ‘popped’ a rear brake pipe (which was corroded) in doing this. Fortunately I noticed brake fluid dripping onto the road where it was parked shortly afterwards. Ok, it flagged up a problem with my D3, which has now been rectified, but it could have ended very badly indeed Shocked
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #226481330th Nov 2021 6:15 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Mine was in 2016 ISTR, way before this COVID bug jumped the species barrier/escaped the lab during PhD project/was developed as a bioweapon, also escaping from said lab. Delete as appropriate. Whistle Whistle

Post #226481430th Nov 2021 6:18 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Today, I got a phone call late afternoon, have I got a non stock item on our shelves and can the customer get it by the weekend as it is urgent.

Yes we got that non stock item for a customer some time back. Check on the shelves still there boxed up.

Now caller on phone was the customer we got the non stock item some time back. In fact we had sent him the invoice back in April some 7 months ago.

Customer lack of planning does not make it an emergency on my part.

Brendan

Post #226481630th Nov 2021 6:42 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Deserves a second invoice, this time for the storage which just happens to be the same value as the current resale price.....
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #226483730th Nov 2021 8:33 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
EV's and the EV charging network

Both had their moment...... Have a laugh at this lot Laughing

Had to pick up a Peugeot 2008 EV in South Wales and deliver back to base some 150 miles away. The car has a 50Kwh battery and lots of online reports saying 206 mile range with a 'real world' 160-170 more probable.

OK, if the customer has charged it, or left a decent charge in it, stands a fair chance of getting back with just a splash'n'dash of charge on the motorway. Ring them a couple of hours in advance to gently 'nudge' them to ensure has decent charge in it. Am told "no problem, loads of charge in it but I don't have charge facilities at my home". Hmmmmm, lets see.

Gets there after dropping another car off. Am told about 40% charged. Gets in............37 miles showing (but oddly 50% on the gauge).

Drives off and a matter of a few miles into trip on M4 I'm showing 21 miles. Stop at services as had seen a couple of chargers there on way down when dropping in for a coffee. They were empty then but not now.......

Two chargers - one with an MG EV in taking up both spaces and a BMW on a slow 7Kwh charger topping up and just off.

Check the meter and the MG is showing 75% and has been on charge 35 minutes. Surely must be coming back soon..........

Conundrum; take a chance and move on using MapZap app to find another close by or wait, hoping the MG owner will be finished soon? I chose the latter, a full charge here will see me home safe and dry.

40 minutes later and on 92% an old boy bundles out. I engage in polite conversation about how long I've waited, how long it will take to charge, how long my journey is, etc. and he merrily laughs that he'll just pop and get his wife and will be "back in a few minutes". Cheers pal Evil or Very Mad

Another ten minutes before he's done and gone and I plug in. Takes an hour and 38 mins to get me to 98% (really not worth waiting the exponentially longer time for the last few percent). However, expecting to see 200'ish range and only 159 miles showing on the car. That's poor against their claim.

Put it in eco (drops power to 80bhp instead of 136bhp, regen on max and EVERYTHING else off. In an EV that means no heating and it was 2 degrees, frozen I was. Set off at 65mph absolute max, not going to regen much on motorway. I have 142 miles to base, I should just make it......

With 75 miles still to go I'm on the M5 but only 45 miles range left. There is something up with the car, obviously.

Services has four chargers - ALL EMPTY - Result!!!!

Charger one, nope, error message about connection. Charger two - same. Charger three (all the time thinking someone will nip in and go on the other chargers I've not tried yet), accepted connection, took my card details and....wait............wait.......................wait "error" FFS. However it wouldn't allow me to disconnect. Rang the 24/7/365 (their words, not mine) helpline and got put on hold. Censored this, I pressed the emergency stop button and disconnected and tried charger four. That didn't work either (but they knew it was faulty and their engineer would fix it as soon as possible......).

SO now do I go cross country and hope to regen some charge to limp to sites showing as available on the app or stay on M5 to the next services on M42. I chose the latter...........

Gets to those services. Two chargers. Both available. I choose one, plug in, put card on. YES IT WORKS, I'M SAVED!!!! (with 14 miles range left). It starts to charge, it pauses...........it disconnects me...........nooooooooo. Quickly, I decide to jump on the next charger but another EV nips in.FFS Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored

Thinking I'm going to have to wait for him as not enough range to move on to 'unknown' chargers whatever the app's say. However that charger doesn't work for him either.

I get the app out and look for 'obscure' but close chargers. Find one at a local village hall in direction of where I live (in back of my mind I have it that the car is going to grind to a halt so closer to home the better.....). Get there. Its available. It's working. It needs a fob card to operate it.......... Censored

I head towards Redditch for next chargers on app. I am at least regen'ing miles that I am using with braking, etc. The next charger I get to is a bare concrete block where a charger used to stand. The app says it is there, working and available........... Censored

I am getting closer to where I live; 19 miles to my house, 14 miles range. Can I make it? There are chargers at the train station right by my house. I may just make it there? I actually arrive with 6 miles range left, but (you weren't expecting a happy ending where you?) they are cr@p 7Kwh chargers but my logic is I can stick it on there, walk home (2 minutes) and collect a few hours later.

I see their lights in the darkness, I see no cars on them. I get out. I check. They are both not working.

I have one last throw of the dice; Their is a hotel in town, 2 miles away, and 1/4 mile after that a petrol station with a charger 'round the back'. That's it. My last chance and then a call to the AA.

I get to the (busy) hotel. I see a tiny space where the charger is. Two ICE cars in two charger spaces and not really enough room to get in the middle space but Censored that I WILL be going in that space. Get in, hook up, card on, it works. IT's CHARGING THE CAR.

In theory 40 minutes will give me enough charge for the 36 miles to the depot. However, given it's double-rate usage of charge I'd have to play safe and go for double that. This means I get to the depot around 8.00pm and no one will be there but I need to get 8 miles to the station and then the last train is 9.57pm and despite Banbury being only 20 miles as the crow flies trains are cr@p and need two changes and take up to an hour and 40 minutes. Censored that, its not going to happen.

I ring the depot and basically tell them I'm keeping the car overnight and will drop it down in the morning. After being escalated up the tree of command I finally get sense and agreement to my proposal.

I park the car on my drive showing 150 miles range. I put a cover over it so I don't have to defrost it in morning and 'waste' charge.

This morning it is showing 135 miles range. By time I have travelled the 36 miles (in normal' mode, not eco this time) it is showing 34 miles range left.

I report all the issues and suggest the car/battery/charge system is Censored but they don't seem to give a Censored . I get the distinct impression it will be washed and pushed out to another customer when next called for (its a 'demo' vehicle - won't help Peugeot sell many with this as an example......).

That planned 150 mile journey took me eight hours and left me 36 miles short of the actual destination still.

Today I had a good old fashioned diesel truck. Thirty quid of fuel, 2 mins, 150 miles and just over two hours later I'm dropping at the customers house. You can keep 'progress' until the infrastructure can keep pace Rolling Eyes

Post #226484030th Nov 2021 8:47 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And here was me thinking “is it time to think leckie?” when in the local Skoda dealership. I think I’ll leave it a decade or so. Whistle Whistle

Post #226485130th Nov 2021 9:48 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

Were you driving with the handbrake on? Whistle Rolling with laughter
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #226486230th Nov 2021 10:35 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: EV's and the EV charging network

astonbuilder wrote:
Both had their moment...... Have a laugh at this lot Laughing

Had to pick up a Peugeot 2008 EV in South Wales and deliver back to base some 150 miles away. The car has a 50Kwh battery and lots of online reports saying 206 mile range with a 'real world' 160-170 more probable.

OK, if the customer has charged it, or left a decent charge in it, stands a fair chance of getting back with just a splash'n'dash of charge on the motorway. Ring them a couple of hours in advance to gently 'nudge' them to ensure has decent charge in it. Am told "no problem, loads of charge in it but I don't have charge facilities at my home". Hmmmmm, lets see.

Gets there after dropping another car off. Am told about 40% charged. Gets in............37 miles showing (but oddly 50% on the gauge).

Drives off and a matter of a few miles into trip on M4 I'm showing 21 miles. Stop at services as had seen a couple of chargers there on way down when dropping in for a coffee. They were empty then but not now.......

Two chargers - one with an MG EV in taking up both spaces and a BMW on a slow 7Kwh charger topping up and just off.

Check the meter and the MG is showing 75% and has been on charge 35 minutes. Surely must be coming back soon..........

Conundrum; take a chance and move on using MapZap app to find another close by or wait, hoping the MG owner will be finished soon? I chose the latter, a full charge here will see me home safe and dry.

40 minutes later and on 92% an old boy bundles out. I engage in polite conversation about how long I've waited, how long it will take to charge, how long my journey is, etc. and he merrily laughs that he'll just pop and get his wife and will be "back in a few minutes". Cheers pal Evil or Very Mad

Another ten minutes before he's done and gone and I plug in. Takes an hour and 38 mins to get me to 98% (really not worth waiting the exponentially longer time for the last few percent). However, expecting to see 200'ish range and only 159 miles showing on the car. That's poor against their claim.

Put it in eco (drops power to 80bhp instead of 136bhp, regen on max and EVERYTHING else off. In an EV that means no heating and it was 2 degrees, frozen I was. Set off at 65mph absolute max, not going to regen much on motorway. I have 142 miles to base, I should just make it......

With 75 miles still to go I'm on the M5 but only 45 miles range left. There is something up with the car, obviously.

Services has four chargers - ALL EMPTY - Result!!!!

Charger one, nope, error message about connection. Charger two - same. Charger three (all the time thinking someone will nip in and go on the other chargers I've not tried yet), accepted connection, took my card details and....wait............wait.......................wait "error" FFS. However it wouldn't allow me to disconnect. Rang the 24/7/365 (their words, not mine) helpline and got put on hold. Censored this, I pressed the emergency stop button and disconnected and tried charger four. That didn't work either (but they knew it was faulty and their engineer would fix it as soon as possible......).

SO now do I go cross country and hope to regen some charge to limp to sites showing as available on the app or stay on M5 to the next services on M42. I chose the latter...........

Gets to those services. Two chargers. Both available. I choose one, plug in, put card on. YES IT WORKS, I'M SAVED!!!! (with 14 miles range left). It starts to charge, it pauses...........it disconnects me...........nooooooooo. Quickly, I decide to jump on the next charger but another EV nips in.FFS Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored

Thinking I'm going to have to wait for him as not enough range to move on to 'unknown' chargers whatever the app's say. However that charger doesn't work for him either.

I get the app out and look for 'obscure' but close chargers. Find one at a local village hall in direction of where I live (in back of my mind I have it that the car is going to grind to a halt so closer to home the better.....). Get there. Its available. It's working. It needs a fob card to operate it.......... Censored

I head towards Redditch for next chargers on app. I am at least regen'ing miles that I am using with braking, etc. The next charger I get to is a bare concrete block where a charger used to stand. The app says it is there, working and available........... Censored

I am getting closer to where I live; 19 miles to my house, 14 miles range. Can I make it? There are chargers at the train station right by my house. I may just make it there? I actually arrive with 6 miles range left, but (you weren't expecting a happy ending where you?) they are cr@p 7Kwh chargers but my logic is I can stick it on there, walk home (2 minutes) and collect a few hours later.

I see their lights in the darkness, I see no cars on them. I get out. I check. They are both not working.

I have one last throw of the dice; Their is a hotel in town, 2 miles away, and 1/4 mile after that a petrol station with a charger 'round the back'. That's it. My last chance and then a call to the AA.

I get to the (busy) hotel. I see a tiny space where the charger is. Two ICE cars in two charger spaces and not really enough room to get in the middle space but Censored that I WILL be going in that space. Get in, hook up, card on, it works. IT's CHARGING THE CAR.

In theory 40 minutes will give me enough charge for the 36 miles to the depot. However, given it's double-rate usage of charge I'd have to play safe and go for double that. This means I get to the depot around 8.00pm and no one will be there but I need to get 8 miles to the station and then the last train is 9.57pm and despite Banbury being only 20 miles as the crow flies trains are cr@p and need two changes and take up to an hour and 40 minutes. Censored that, its not going to happen.

I ring the depot and basically tell them I'm keeping the car overnight and will drop it down in the morning. After being escalated up the tree of command I finally get sense and agreement to my proposal.

I park the car on my drive showing 150 miles range. I put a cover over it so I don't have to defrost it in morning and 'waste' charge.

This morning it is showing 135 miles range. By time I have travelled the 36 miles (in normal' mode, not eco this time) it is showing 34 miles range left.

I report all the issues and suggest the car/battery/charge system is Censored but they don't seem to give a Censored . I get the distinct impression it will be washed and pushed out to another customer when next called for (its a 'demo' vehicle - won't help Peugeot sell many with this as an example......).

That planned 150 mile journey took me eight hours and left me 36 miles short of the actual destination still.

Today I had a good old fashioned diesel truck. Thirty quid of fuel, 2 mins, 150 miles and just over two hours later I'm dropping at the customers house. You can keep 'progress' until the infrastructure can keep pace Rolling Eyes

I'm exhausted! I drove a Skoda Enyaq last weekend. Really liked it but just not convinced that the infrastructure can cope. I'll leave it a few years to see what happens.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #226486830th Nov 2021 11:05 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yeah F that with the leccy cars.
At least another 5 years of diesel for me.
At my current rate of travel i'd never see home and i bet its actually cheaper to run my diesel than the silly cost at pubic/commercial rapid chargers.

Post #226486930th Nov 2021 11:06 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Having just filled the D4 to the top at a cost of about £76 which took about 5 minutes from pulling to paying to go and now have a range of about 400 miles.

My question how much would it cost at a public recharging state to go from 25% charge to 100% charge and how long to get a range of about 400 miles in a vehicle as capable as the D4?

Brendan

Post #226487030th Nov 2021 11:18 pm
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

In 3 years of driving a pure EV, I’ve likely spent less overall time ‘at the pump’ than when I had an ICE car. With a home charge point I start every day with a full ‘tank’, and for long journeys aim to charge at my destination, so no time is spent ‘refuelling’. Indeed, I’ve needed to use the rapid chargers on the road network fewer than 10 times in that period. Thumbs Up

Edited to add that 400 miles of range costs me about £25, although the savings don’t really stack up when factoring in the higher vehicle purchase cost. Mind you, when a car goes as quick as prunes through a short grandmother, that cost is soon forgotten. Wink
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Last edited by Paul J. on 30th Nov 2021 11:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #226487330th Nov 2021 11:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 142 of 282 <123 ... 141142143 ... 280281282>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >