Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Webasto Pre-heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

M3DPO wrote:
Hi J@mes, thanks for the quick reply, is it possible to access it behind the dash and make a joint there?
Did you pay full price for your kit or make an offer? - the listing states offers.
M3DPO.

Not sure if you can get to it behind the dash, my 1533 is mounted under the bonnet in a box and I have one of the RF kits which has been posted in this thread. I paid full price for mine, there weren't offers on at the time. Thre only issue with the RF plip is that the range is poor, I generally have to be within 10 meters of mine to get it to fire up.

I'll get the GSM unit when I get round to it - great for:

At work? Give it a ring from the office
On the train? Ring it an hour before you're due in.
Walking the Dog? Ring it when you're half way round the forrest/mountain/lake or whatever.
Laid in bed? Ring it from bed.
Out shopping? Ring it when your wife tells you "she'll only be 5 more minutes" when she really means an hour.

Also saves carrying yet another keyring around as well as the car key, house key, wallet, phone etc.

An ebay seller "bobvigna" sells the GSM units for £69.99 IIRC.

Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #87366121st Dec 2011 9:38 am
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Spot on J@mes, got mine installed and working, 1 touch dial app on the phone and Roberts your mothers brother.

Thanks go to wiggs for advice and inspiration Thumbs Up

I have to say the only thing I woild like is some indication that the FBH is running.

Mine fires, but does not always run first time, usually in the morning Rolling Eyes

So a source to connect an LED to when running would be nice, anyone any ideas, is this the plan Narpy???
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #87384321st Dec 2011 4:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I can now see the advantage of a GSM unit, great after a days shooting to be able to get into a warm car.
I didn't think of installing it under the bonnet, I was looking at in dash.
What is the procedure for setting the 1355 timmer? - I assumed it was set like an allarm clock to come on and go off at preset times.
Is the GSM unit soldered in exactly like the RC unit.
For curiosity anybody know the fuel consumption of the FBH? - can I leave it on for 2-3 hours Smile.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #87390721st Dec 2011 6:12 pm
J@mes

beanie wrote:

So a source to connect an LED to when running would be nice, anyone any ideas, is this the plan Narpy???

The 1533 has a 12v output on the back, so with a resistor of around 3.3K (I think) you could wire up an LED to this output and place it somewhere it will be seen from the house.

M3DPO, you can set the timer to 3 preset times to go on and off or you can use the "instant flame" button via RF/GSM to start it for a preset amount of time, the default being 30 minutes. Not sure what it goes up to, I have it set at 1hour.

I installed mine under the bonnet in an IP55 rated box because my car is a manual and I don't have the "clutch cable grommet" going through the firewall where the auto vehicles do - obviously, because the clutch cable is in there. It also meant that once the kit was built up, it literally took me 5 minutes to connect it all in and secure the box in the spare battery box with a little home made bracket. Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Last edited by J@mes on 21st Dec 2011 6:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #87392421st Dec 2011 6:25 pm
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Has anyone looked in there settings on the dash and seen the fbh settings mine has got 30 mins 60 mins 90 min settings does this mean i can set my fbh to come on Question I cant find anything in the book of words Rolling Eyes

Post #87394221st Dec 2011 6:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

this feature was removed as it never worked correctly . You should have had some free software updates many years ago Shocked
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #87395821st Dec 2011 6:51 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

beanie wrote:

Not quite but it's practically the same.
As J@mes correctly points out, there's an output on the back of the timer that becomes live once the timer is functioning. I intend to use this to power an LED type item I'm currently working on so at least I'll know if the timer is active and hopefully the FBH too.

I did read somewhere on the forum that it would be possible to pick up the live feed to the FBH pump/fan as a more accurate indicator that the FBH is running but I'll be happy with tapping into the timer lead. Wink

More info can be found here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic16361.h...;start=105 ( scroll down to wiggs post + pics )

Post #87398121st Dec 2011 7:25 pm
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks wiggs. Could i not get LR or indie to update the software to make work . Smile

Post #87409821st Dec 2011 11:33 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

J@mes, I assume that supplied voltage stays live as the timer runs down, so the LED is on if timer running. IS there a way of getting a feed from the FBH so LED is lit when the heater is running?

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Post #87410621st Dec 2011 11:46 pm
J@mes

Not sure how you'd do it to be honest as I don't know what the voltages are on the FBH itself. The other issue is that this lamp/LED or whatever is going to be lit when you are driving if the FBH runs of its own accord when the temp is below 5*c and the engine is cold - unless you wired it through a manual switch or through a relay which dropped it out when the ignition was on Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #87410721st Dec 2011 11:49 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Dependant on LED placement I can live with it being on whilst driving, could also be triggered via a relay so that voltage to the LED is controlled?

just need to find a FBH ON live to trigger a relay.... That's the hard part I guess

Doh, should have fully read the lnk to another post, the required feed comes from the OUT signal wire from the timer, as per Wiggs and ENT's install. Thanks Narpy Thumbs Up

PM me for details

Post #87411121st Dec 2011 11:53 pm
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all and J@mes & beanie
The water pump on the heater I think is 12V (could be easily checked) and if so why not connect the LED across the pump, so that when the pump is running the LED will be lit?
I assume if the heater cuts out the pump stops too, however I thing it also runs through the cooling stage once the heater is shut-down.
I have not tried this and will not be held responsible if you damage the heater or the car in any way!!
However I don’t see why this shouldn’t work.
Hope this helps
Best wishes and seasons greetings to all

Post #87434622nd Dec 2011 2:51 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Just bought a bright flashing LED from Maplin that over the Christmas break I plan to connect in with the timer OUT output and site somewhere on the right of the dash near to the bottom of the A pillar / Airbag trim. Thumbs Up

PM me for details

Post #87440222nd Dec 2011 5:41 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Gentlemen, I give you the "Halo Badge" Mr. Green Laughing
Here we go then, check this out, it has been a pig to photograph as it's quite bright and confused the camera flash something chronic but I kind of like it. It's a standard LR badge with a 6mm perspex backing plate, shaped to the profile of the badge, edges polished and one of these fitted to the back: EBAY LINK . The 1355 timer lights it up perfectly and provides a really warm halo. Any colour is possible but I thought red = warm, so red it was. It also has a mini plug fitted so it's still possible to remove the grill but I'll have to remember to disconnect the halo badge too. Wink
It's not 100% complete as I was hoping to illuminate the badge sort of backlight style but the genuine LR badge is far too metallic so I settled for a halo.
I'm still working on the final version and I'm currently awaiting samples from a badge manufacturer to check which are suitable for backlighting so more info may follow after Christmas. Wink

Click image to enlarge

another view here:

Click image to enlarge

The timer box is also now complete and I've had it temporarily wired into the car today and it worked like a dream so I'll finish the install tomorrow. Here it is ready to go in:
Click image to enlarge

All info regarding wiring etc. was gleaned from wiggs excellent thread: HERE
It seemed logical to fit an isolation switch so i can turn the power on and off, a fuse for obvious reasons and a multi pin connector. Mr. Green
So glad the weather has been so mild too whilst I've been doing this on the driveway, sure beats freezing your bits off. :roll:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #87450022nd Dec 2011 9:20 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looking good. Thumbs Up

Post #87450822nd Dec 2011 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >