DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

webasto heater not operted by phone but able to be switched
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
webasto heater not operted by phone but able to be switched

hey folks,
I cant justify using the remote control set up to switch on the FBH, However it appeals to me to be able to run out my front door and switch it on 30 mins before I intend to drive off, on a cold wintry morning, and it seems all I need is a timer hooked up to 12 v,with an output to trigger the FBH..............
Has anyone done this and am I on the right track here, as I aint seen any documentation on the FBH.

Post #7014138th Oct 2010 7:57 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You need a Webasto Oval Timer, but not sure if you can just jump in and press the fire button. The D3 needs to be asleep I think, and once you open the doors it takes a while to sleep

I may be wrong though..

Post #7014218th Oct 2010 8:14 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you fit the timer you don't need to jump in (which you couldn't anyway as you'd need to wake the D3 up to open the doors which would mean it'd override any signal the timer sends to the heater), you can set the timer the night before Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #7014228th Oct 2010 8:18 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

There is a huge amount of info on the forum about the FBH and triggering - which is why I can't remember exactly where I read that one had to set the timer to come on at least 12 minutes into the future from the time at which one was setting it. I presume this is to allow the D3 to go back to sleep. So the effect you want would be achieved, but you would have to run out into the cold quarter-of-an-hour earlier!

Maybe it will fire instantly - I will be fitting mine next week with any luck and you are then welcome to a demo.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #7014248th Oct 2010 8:22 pm
mirror88

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Hi, I dont want to drag this off topic, I think this question is related... I have fitted the Webasto timer and remote GSM. Everything works OK when connected but ive noticed that after testing it once, leaving it for a couple of weeks then when I come back and try it again it works for about 20 seconds then shuts down (I have an LED attached) I then pulled the power from the heater (following the guidelines for 3 false starts shuts it down) and then the next time it works ok.... But after that same again.... Anyone had this problem??

I have a couple of questions:-

If the engine reaches a certain temperature, will it automatically switch off even if ive only just switched it on remotely. (as in when im testing it is it right that it wont stay on for long as its already reached the operating temp?)

Why does the webasto shut down... (apart from opening doors and wakeing it up etc) (is it a programmed cycle time?

I know 3 false starts shuts it down until you power cycle it, but how does it do a false start?

Thanks
 2011 Discovery 4 HSE  
Post #7014288th Oct 2010 8:25 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

How much fuel have you got, seem to remeber that if the tank is low it will shut down.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #7014718th Oct 2010 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
buda

great,
I.d no idea it was important that once youd oprened the doors the D3 came awake................

Imagine that 99%OF THE TIME time Im at home and it takes 5 steps to get to the d3 door., and since I a leave anytime between 7 and 10 am , it will be so varied but I imagine that once I know when I need to leave with the D3, I can walk out and turn on the FBH 30 mins before...................

I want to walk , if at night, or in morning, and open up the D3,press timer butten, to pre heat the D3, 30 mins before I dsrive off.

I know I need a timer and i would connect the relay output to the fbh but have I moseef something?

any feedack greatley appreciated....

Post #7014858th Oct 2010 10:27 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

To turn the timer to fire when opening the D3 will not work, you have to awake the D3 with the Webasto. I just fired mine up with a phone call, then blipped the key fob, and it turns off............so the D3 needs to be asleep to work.

Post #7014878th Oct 2010 10:30 pm
buda

webasto FBH upgrade

Hi Navigator,
I will take you up on that offer of a demo on the FBH upgrade Thumbs Up..........that would be great. I'm only a couple of miles from you so whenever you are ready just pm me and we can make arrangements........ Very Happy

Post #70288812th Oct 2010 11:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >