Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Webasto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Cheeko

United Kingdom 2009 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackLR3
Webasto

Hello all I have a d3 hse it has a Webasto fitted sorry to sound naive but what is it how does it work what can I do with it…
Will it pre heat my disco so it’s nice and toasty when I get in when cold weather comes.. any advice tips please share.. can I go out to the car start it running then return to it fully defrosted I guess is what I’m asking I have no set time that I jump in the car so need it so it works when I want it to
Thanks all

Post #23727028th Jul 2024 12:25 am
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Cheeko, the Webasto pre-heats the water that circulates through the engine. It comes on automatically when you turn on the ignition, if the outside temperature is below about 7C, you have enough fuel and if it has not previously failed to turn on and gone into a lock-out state. It shuts off after the circulating water reaches about 85C. It means that the engine warms up much quicker and the heater/blower air warms quicker than it would otherwise.

Some models have a remote so that you can switch it on before you start-up the engine, otherwise you can buy and install a remote switch. Installing a remote is very much worth doing as it gets around a whole pile of cold-start issues. For the cabin to warm up you need to turn on the ignition and get the blowers running, which means leaving the car with the keys in the ignition - that may or may not work in your situation, depending on risk of theft and the state of your battery.

The Webasto is a temperamental beast and you will sooner or later need to delve into the many, many threads on here to either fix yours or get it working in the first place. It is a magical piece of kit and worth the effort to get it working.

If you edit your profile so that everyone can see what year of car you have, then others might be able to give you better age-specific advice.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23727048th Jul 2024 6:42 am
Cheeko

Thankyou for the reply is a 2009 v6 hse.
I’ll look into updating my profile have been meaning to do it I’m just a bit green at the minute but I’ll get there 😂😂 I thought if you added features such as remote start they were prone to go into lock out mode apparently the 11d does a test on them but that is something else I’m going to have to look into. As I’ve no idea if it works or doesn’t cheers

Post #23727058th Jul 2024 6:51 am
Worms

In my view, the IID is a necessity with the D3.

In terms of the Webasto, It helps to clear most of the recurrent codes and lets you test if the fuel burning heater is physically capable of running. But you will probably also need to invest in the ability to connect a laptop directly to the Webasto, to clear the Webasto's own codes - read the "sticky" in the i box at the top of the Forum page.

You should look into buying your remote now, as the prices go up several-fold as winter approaches!
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23727088th Jul 2024 7:27 am
Cheeko

Worm (read the "sticky" in the i box at the top of the Forum page.) sorry I have no idea what you mean by this I’ve been trolling up and down old threads but I cannot see anything that refers to Webasto and using gap tool to operate or test. I’ve even read the gap manual and I cannot see anything in functional tests for Webasto. All I want to do is operate and see if it works rather than having to wait till winter to see if it kicks in then find it doesn’t when in summer I don’t mind stripping and playing my hands don’t work when there cold 😂😂

Post #23727098th Jul 2024 7:37 am
laf

United Kingdom 

https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater

Post #23727108th Jul 2024 7:43 am
Cheeko

Thankyou much appreciated
The disco is a car I bought that has been parked up for a while so needles to say my time and resources are been spent on making it right she’s got a few issues that I’m working through 😂😂 so unfortunately buying luxuries and making it look how I want are out of the window until I get to the bottom of the more serious problems but I’m ticking them off one by one with the help and knowledge of this site and loads of googling 😂😂 Thankyou it would have took me ages to find that link 👍👍

Post #23727118th Jul 2024 7:48 am
Cheeko

You can quickly check that your FBH is working as intended by the factory by getting the external temperature sensor cold. Either remove it and place in the freezer for 15 minutes, or use a "cold spray" or air duster to chill the sensor in situ.
Check the external temperature in the dash display is below 6 degC, then start the engine. Assuming you have sufficient fuel and the engine is cold or cool, the FBH will start or attempt to start.
A non functioning or partly functioning FBH will require further diagnostics and/or resetting/servicing. (This seems the easiest way to go I think)

Post #23727128th Jul 2024 7:56 am
Worms

Cheeko,

The link I was talking about is in the box at the top of the page. It rotates around three headlines.

Click image to enlarge
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23727138th Jul 2024 7:57 am
Cheeko

https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-hayes-cr...00ml/83415

Think I’m just going to spray this through the grill and see what happens

Post #23727148th Jul 2024 8:07 am
Cheeko

Sorry worms I use Mobile site so don’t often see things you get with a pc interface

Post #23727158th Jul 2024 8:09 am
Worms

With the IID, from the opening menu, choose Service/Test, then AHCM-Auxilary Heater, then Check Operation.

This will start the heater up and run it for a maximum of 300 seconds. Once it is running for about a minute, check under the car in front of the NSF wheel and you should see some exhaust smoke.

On mine, it took several attempts before it would run for the full 300 seconds. If it times out early or fails the test, give it time to cool down, clear all fault codes, then try again. If it doesn't fire up at all, then try the Fuel Priming option, followed by the Check Operation. If after all that it still won't fire up, then you probably need to take it apart for cleaning.

But just because it works with the GAP IID driving it, doesn't mean that it will work on its own. On mine I needed to log directly into the Webasto software and clear the codes there, before I could get it to work on its own. Even then, it only worked on perhaps one cold morning out of five. The real breakthrough for me was adding the remote, which manages to fire it up most of the time.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23727168th Jul 2024 8:15 am
Cheeko

Worms Thankyou very much for the valuable information I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on buddy Thankyou

Post #23727178th Jul 2024 8:42 am
Cheeko

Well hopefully that’s one less thing to think about 60s in started smoking 80s in stopped smoking was still running 😂😱 Thankyou very much for your help hopefully winter I won’t have a problem might go buy some spray for sake of £8 to test it properly Thankyou

Post #23727408th Jul 2024 3:06 pm
Cheeko

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125535465418

Post #23727428th Jul 2024 3:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >