DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Waxoyl - Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Waxoyl - Advice

Thinking about Waxoyling the Disco before the Wiltshire trip in September.

A couple of questions and a few cheeky requests... Wink

1. This guy www.before-n-after.co.uk
says that the LR applied underbody protection needs to be completely removed before applying waxoyl. Anybody have any experience in if this is necessary or even if the LR coating is even thick enough to be bothered about?

2. Should I use just waxoyl everywhere or is there a big benefit to use the Underbody protection with Waxoyl? Anybody really know the difference?

3. I'm a tight git Embarassed , so if anyone has the application gun they don't mind lending out to me Then I can just buy the 5gallon refill tins... 8)

4. Should I go for the clear waxoyl or the black?

5. Some people have used Dinitrol but appears to be thinner & need re-applying more often, anyone heard of this?

Thanks for all your wise words of wisdom, if you don't have wise words of wisdon, then feel free just to take the mickey out of something instead... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1866447th Aug 2007 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had an Australian HSV (VT) treated, as the standard underbody treatment was almost non-existent. Used the regular black stuff. A friends garage did it, and it was very messy. Ideally needs to be done by someone experienced. Cover up all the areas around the lower part of the D3 & anywhere else you don't want to treat, we used paper & low glue masking tape. It's a very messy job & the fine spray gets everywhere.
Unless you plan to keep your D3 for the long term, I'd question if it was worth doing.

Post #1866527th Aug 2007 3:50 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Waxoyl - Advice

Bodsy wrote:
I'm a tight git Embarassed ,

Bodsy, U neeed to change your flag! One like this would suit your happiness to save. Thumbs Up

Post #1866567th Aug 2007 3:53 pm
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bodsy,

I had Before and After (B&A) waxoyl my 90 about 5 years ago. Before this treatment it did have a 'black gunge' underbody coating over just about everything under the car. Every time I used a spanner on the underside I had to spend time getting this stuff off afterwards. It stuck like the proverbial ' Censored to a blanket'.

Looking under my Disco I don't see any sign of this gunge being used.

Since having B&A do the 90 I can say there is almost no sign of any corrosion on any of the underside or for that matter anywhere else. That is apart from a few small areas of corrosion typical of steel/aluminum reaction, which is well away from the treated areas.
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff.  
Post #1866697th Aug 2007 4:17 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

@LT Planning on keeping the black beast for 5 years or maybe even more, so I think it's worth doing, although the before-n-after Kleentect is very pricey (£1500+vat!) so I don't think i'd go down that route.

@DSL
Thumbs Up You know where I'm coming from Laughing

Bodsy McSporran of the clan 'tightwad'
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1866717th Aug 2007 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Friend of mine (member of this forum but doesn't post much) is a Yorkshireman living in Scotland, ultimate combo for tightness! Shocked Shocked

Post #1866747th Aug 2007 4:20 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you go the DIY route, you'll really need the use of a ramp or a pit & make sure that all the underside is as clean as poss. Iirc, the actual cost of the Waxoyl wasn't that much. Good luck.

Post #1866827th Aug 2007 4:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Martin, from the posts I've read on some other forums, it's refered to as the LR 'Gloop' I don't think the Disco's are covered in it, but will find out when I get it up on stands to have a look in a few weeks. Unless of course anyone else here know?

DSL, clearly he doens't post much coz the electricity costs too much..... Laughing
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #1866847th Aug 2007 4:27 pm
Pelyma

England 

The guy is Chris Parsons, he posts (still?) on LROI, from what I've read he does a good job, but isn't cheap!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1866977th Aug 2007 4:41 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Pelyma Yes, I think his Kleentect system is the dogs danglies of underbody protection, but at almost £2k is way over the budget I was looking t!

RobH the Schutz system is slightly different, but waxoyl also have a can that fits the schutz modules, so it may be that they use the same stuff?

interested to know of those that have done this themselves & to find out where all of the hidden rust prone nooks & crannies are. Perhaps those with older Disco's can shed some light on where they may see some potential corrosion spots if they're not protected already.

I know that any area that gets grounded whilst off road will need to be re-protected, but i can cope with that, has to be better than nothing?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #1866997th Aug 2007 4:49 pm
Pelyma

England 

He also does waxoyl I seem to recall

Post #1867197th Aug 2007 5:26 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I have done a few other Landrovers and it is a dirty, messy, horrible job. It is also very difficult to do it right. For example trying to get waxoyl thin enough to spray into chassis box sections without using gallons of white spirit is not easy.

When I bought my D3 last September I headed down to before-n-after and had the job done right. The high pressure cleaning equipment he has is amazing, although my car was brand new and didnt need it. He also applies the waxoyl under very high pressure so it gets into every nook and cranny.

I plan to keep the car a long time so for me, it made sense. Not cheap but then again neither is repairing rust damage a few years down the road.

Post #1867377th Aug 2007 6:09 pm
Pelyma

England 

Shocked That's a long way to go!

Post #1867437th Aug 2007 6:27 pm
martin4x4

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What was the cost for the Disco?
 Discovery 3 XS Auto, Stornaway, Active rear diff.  
Post #1867467th Aug 2007 6:32 pm
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Here in Denmark is one of the most corrosive environments for cars. Everybody that plan to keep their cars have them protected quite early after purchase.

I plan to keep mine and the dealer told me to go to Dinitrol. They have the product that work with the LR factory stuff so they can apply on top of it. Also my dealer said that to avoid issues with the 6 year corrosion warranty i should go for that type.

If you know somebody at dinitrol you could ask them to lend you the model specific appliance sheet. It states in detail where to apply what product. And I am happy to say that the D3 can have a complete treatment without drilling any holes.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #1868858th Aug 2007 6:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >