DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Water in passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
notgotaclue

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Water in passenger footwell

Hi all,

First post and probably something that's been covered many times already but here I go:

Had a ridiculous amount of rain this week and my passenger footwell looks like a pond!! It's got to a level that it's running through to the back now and I can hear water sloshing about whenever I brake.

I've not got a sunroof, my cabin filter and the entire area behind the glove box is drive. The back wall of the footwell appears dry too so it's not running down. It's like it's coming in at floor level and filling up.

Any ideas before I have to fork out a small fortune at a garage?

Thanks in advance.

Post #205379317th May 2019 1:04 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

No sun roof but do you have glass roof? as sometimes the sealant leaks. Alternately there was a problem with the roof rail area where water would seep in from a join at the front. Very seldom would it come from under floor. Another area is the door seals.

Post #205379517th May 2019 5:11 am
vanpeebles

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There is also the upgrade kit for the external A pillar trims to prevent water getting in. Could be getting in there?

Post #205380817th May 2019 7:44 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My guess is A pillar leak. Do a search on here, there are some good guides with pictures as it's an easy enough fix.

Get the water out quick before you have electrical problems, inc key fob locking failure

Post #205383317th May 2019 10:05 am
LR3Trav

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

The front plastic that has the honeycomb shape and the the wipers go through it. The rubber trim against the window can start to pull up and water can get in through there as well. A friend of mine has had this problem and replaced that part, problem solved. Part number LR096164G. About $100 USD.
 "Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."

Ayn Rand 

Post #205425718th May 2019 8:40 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Water in passenger side footwell

Just had to empty the channel that runs down under the tread plate, siphoned out about 2.5l of water, this is the second time this has happened to me, first time it was a b Censored d sun roof drain channel, had that fixed & everything was dry as a bone until this morning when I went out in the car, pulled up the tread plate & there it was like a small river, checked the drain tube by pouring water into sunroof & it ran out where it should, pollen filter & heater completely dry, also checked under windscreen scuttle & a post trim, all dry, that left only one place which was wheelarch, pulled off the wheel & removed back of liner & where the liner fixes in the large depressions in liner, there was definite water marks running down the body. Both these holes would be in the lower section of bulkhead & the outer one seems to line up with the channel inside the floor. On Tuesday on my drive to work it rained monsoon amounts & road was awash especially in kerb, I think what happened is that because of the way the clips work they could let water in especially if it was a large amount (as on Tuesday), I’m just glad I don’t go off reading in mine if I’d done so I think I could have had fish inside the car. I took some duck tape & stuck it over the holes in body, poked a hole with a screwdriver to get clip thru, put everything back together & when I had finished, I sealed the 2 clips in the depressions with more duck tape under the wheel arch,I’m hoping this has fixed it, will wait & see when it rains again. Just have to dry it all out again with dehumidifiers.
Tom

Post #208699225th Sep 2019 7:23 pm
Globetrotter448

There was a problem with the rails on the roof. Near the windscreen the body rail seal leaks so this may be your problem

Post #208707225th Sep 2019 11:24 pm
miniman8

Help

I thought it was too easy to fix with just the fixings under the wheelarch, rained a bit & full of water again, drained it again, taped up the outside of sunroof to stop any chance of water getting in. Then went for the a post as water appeared to be running down the bulkhead into the channel, carried out the recommended repair for the a post, used duck tape on all the fixing holes including the locators, it rained again & yet again more water inside, then read another post on here about the joint at the front of the roof drain channel leaking so decided to have a look here to see if this could be the issue, pulled up the front drain channel trim & underneath it looks like a ploughed field full of mud, cleaned this all off & the joint did not look too bad, but I noticed that there was a load of mud underneath the front of the roof rail, took the rail off & the front & rear fixings were jammed with the same sort of crud, cleaned this all out & while I had the rail off I cleaned up the side of the glass roof panel & filled it with silicone, also covered the front joint as well, waited for it all to dry & put it all back together, just checked as it is raining again & there is water in the channel in floor, I have run out of ideas if anyone can suggest anything I haven’t tried I would be really grateful.
I love this car but this sort of thing is just so Censored annoying!
Tom

Post #208789528th Sep 2019 11:19 pm
Globetrotter448

Just thinking, if its coming in from the roof area, some of the head lining would be wet as well as the strips down the front windscreen, so if you can find the source of the leak (I know that's what you are trying to do) from inside the car it may assist in finding where the leak is on the outside. If you check the cabin filter and it is dry then you do not have trouble with the scuttle panel. Have you had the windscreen replaced at any time, if so may not be bonded correctly. I believe the sun roof may have rear drains. The front roof drains exit under the wheel trim area so this may not be working correctly, try pouring water over the sun roof with a hose and see that it exits in the right place

Post #208790929th Sep 2019 12:27 am
Globetrotter448

Found this in my book of knowledge showing where water drains are. The larger version is in the gallery

Post #208791029th Sep 2019 12:40 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Just an idea Have u had a look at ur door loom Rubber seal, where the loom comes from the body into the doors Thumbs Up

Post #208791129th Sep 2019 6:18 am
miniman8

Help (water)

Thanks for that suggestion I will have a look, just about to go & see how much water is in car! Been raining here most of night.
Tom

Post #208792629th Sep 2019 8:08 am
miniman8

Just had a look at wiring loom entry’s to body, poured loads of water over them while watching channel inside nothing at all, then tried pouring water over most of the areas I’d already had a go at ie a pillar roof rail, but no water was coming in. The edge of the rear carpet by the door is wet & back towards the wheel arch, removed seatbelt fixing & popped trim off enough so that I could see inside there was no water running down the inner wheelarch, but when I lifted the wheelarch carpet up as much as I could the water ran out so I’m guessing my leak must be back here somewhere, will need to take whole side trim off to have a look, a job for later this morning.
Tom

Post #208794129th Sep 2019 9:11 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ok that’s ruled that out then Thumbs Up

As the water ingress is so far back is the boot carpet also wet plse

Another idea is in the boot side lockers there are rubber grommets in the floor , wonder if any are missing

If u can’t find it sometimes it’s the case of peeling back the carpet etc and getting someone to spray everywhere with a hose pipe whilst watching from inside

Plse let us know how u get on

Post #208796429th Sep 2019 10:21 am
miniman8

Thanks, that’s my next job, I will start with the side boot trim & then if I need to I will take out second row seats & peel back the carpet. I have seven seats carpet does not appear wet under seats.
This is driving me crazy, wife said I need a hobby, I seem to have one its called a discovery & parked on my drive lol.
Tom

Post #208796929th Sep 2019 10:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >