Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Water in passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Pimpintgepidge

It’s not just what’s in the foam padding on the back of the carpet is it? I had a leak (sunroof drain grommet was in two pieces) so i repaired it, but when I went back a few days after it was wet again but looking at all the foam under that carpet it was like a huge sponge. But still thought it could be leaking, iv now talc all the area, pulled the biggest part of the foam off and dried it out and left the carpet pulled up all week and everything has dried out and no new water. I also had a hair dryer under there and thought it was dry before.

Post #20900226th Oct 2019 2:08 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I wonder if you could be right as the padding under the carpet was sodden when I first noticed it, the amount of water this morning was quite small compared to before, I have propped up the carpet to allow some air to get under & my dehumidifiers to suck out the water.
Trying to work out what your photo shows, have you taken the carpet out? If you did how long did it take to get all seats out?
I’ve just poured red dye down top of a post & so far none showing in the channel.
Cheers
Tom

Post #20900586th Oct 2019 4:50 pm
Pimpintgepidge

Seats aren’t to difficult to get out but I left them in anyway, I ended up pulling the large hard piece of foam away from the carpet and had it drying in front of the wood burner, but still took a good 2 days to dry out completely, I had towels under the carpet for a few days to soak the remainder but still wouldn’t dry out so I ended up, folding the carpet back as much as I could with the seat in and keep it up up so air gets to it. After a few days, 1 with the windows open in the car all day, the carpet felt bone dry and with the carpet up I could also see if anything was coming in. The picture is of the footwell, the carpet is pulled up out the way and I put lots of talc on the body of the van to see if anything drips. Hope this makes sense.

Post #20900616th Oct 2019 5:02 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

My thought also was that the volume of water held in the foam underlay might be draining into the gutter.

To dry mine I used a number of towels laid under the carpet to soak up some of the water while I applied pressure to squeeze it out. I also, (with the carpet propped up) drew my hand over the foam, pressing my fingers into it (careful not to dig them in and rip it) and managed to squeeze and vacuum up about 2+L. Finally, with as much as possible removed physically, I propped it all up with a couple of sticks for a few days to fully dry.

Post #20901506th Oct 2019 9:03 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would also spray some anti bac into the foam before you dry it out or you will get a mouldy smell afterwards.

Post #20901526th Oct 2019 9:07 pm
Pimpintgepidge

A smell I couldn’t get rid of was definitely part of my worry, don’t think you would get rid of it very easily.

Post #20901596th Oct 2019 9:34 pm
miniman8

Just had a look & there is a small amount of water in channel again, I think I may have found where it is getting in, on the plate above the channel that holds the tread plate there was a small amount of water i.e. just drops, looking at the door seal there is wet between the rigid part & the soft part in 2 places, looked at the bottom of the door & in the corresponding places to where there is water on seal There are a couple of small rust bubbles in paint, which I think are over compressing the rubber & forcing the water over the top.
I rubbed down the areas on the door until smooth again, & primered them, just need to see if anymore comes in.
The carpet is drying out gradually as it’s not wicking up new water.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions & tips.
Tom

Post #20909389th Oct 2019 2:15 pm
miniman8

Just an update on my ongoing issue with water in footwell, I tried the food colouring in water & poured it down the a post with none coming in, then changed the colour & poured this over the bottom of the windscreen & the scuttle panel again no water coming in anywhere.
It rained again & I had water in channel again as before not much but enough, decided that it must be coming in from under carpet at front, I had limited access under carpet but needed to take out front seat, got down to this job yesterday, this is just fiddly with all the plastic trim & trying not to break any of it, got seat out & this gave me the chance to pull back carpet in footwell foam under here was still really wet, picture below shows what I found

As you can see there is a large hole which I’m guessing should have had a grommet in it, you can see it has what looks like limescale on it, the foam is really wet below this hole & above is dry, so I’m assuming that is where the water is coming in, running down wheelarch behind liner & entering a box section then running down & foam just soaks it up. Could not find a grommet to fit so got the duck tape & covered the hole, also covered the small grommet just to be sure, this picture shows the finished job,

put everything back in this morning, just have to wait for it to rain again & see if any comes in, I’ve tried using the hose but it doesn’t seem to replicate steady rain.
Will update when it has rained.
Tom

Post #209288316th Oct 2019 5:32 pm
Pimpintgepidge

I don’t think I had any grommets or holes in the floor of the footwell.....fingers crossed it’s all good now. It was worth getting the seat out to dry the excess water anyway wasn’t it.

Post #209289816th Oct 2019 6:47 pm
miniman8

Hi, yes I wondered if there was a grommet missing just hoping this will finally sort this out, the bulkhead runs up it is about a foot in from side of car, in first picture you can just see wiring in channel, second one is just zoomed in a bit.
I’ve got everything crossed hoping I’ve finally sorted this as it’s not funny anymore, the only plus side is I can now do jobs that I couldn’t before.
Tom

Post #209290016th Oct 2019 6:57 pm
miniman8

I don’t believe this there is Censored water in the channel again not much but enough, I’ve just had a thought, could it be the door seal on body, it’s not wet to the touch, as there are 2 seals on the doors could I remove this one off the body & see if the water gets in ( it’s due to rain here later), will water get in with this seal removed, I can’t see how as you have the outer seal on the door.
I have just about run out of ideas as to where it is coming in if it’s not the door seal, does anyone have any thoughts if it’s not the door seal.
Thanks
Tom

Post #209331718th Oct 2019 10:31 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You could always fit a bildge pump and not worry about it Wink

Post #209345118th Oct 2019 5:45 pm
DISCO3HSE2018

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've got the same problem. Water coming in through somewhere near the sunroof but the drain is not blocked as every time we tested water runs freely out near the wheel arch.

Going to replace the drain tube as it may be perished or split somewhere

Post #209347918th Oct 2019 7:23 pm
miniman8

Which side is it?, the driver side is a simple job, passenger side is a nightmare as you are forced to remove the glovebox so that you can take out the fuse box & I think it’s the bcu as the pipe is behind all this. When mine went passenger side, I looked in behind glovebox & decided it was something I did not feel confident doing it so took it to my local indie who did it.
Tom

Post #209351618th Oct 2019 8:41 pm
miniman8

Just had a thought rereading your post, have you tried tapping the sunroof up on the outside & soaking the car with a hose, it could be the a post trim clips that are leaking, this was a factory technical bulletin just after disco was launched as common issue with water in channel at side of floor. If you tape up sunroof make sure you use insulating tape not masking or duck tape as you will never get glue off roof.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Post #209444322nd Oct 2019 9:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >